Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Draft Thoughts

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Defensive Draft Thoughts

DL
    Aaron Smith - Will be back and is still playing at a high level
    Brett Kiesel - Still getting better.
    Casey Hampton - Can play, but won't be resigned. Price will be too high.
    Chris Hoke - Serviceable back-up NT.
    Nick Eason - Has really been playing better lately.
    Ziggy Hood - His development has made Kirschke expendable.
    Travis Kirschke - See ya!
    RaShon Harris - ???

Can't see Casey Hampton re-signing with the Steelers. Age and salary demands will put Casey on the road out of town. Kirschke is another guy who may have seen his last year as a Steeler. I think a day one NT is a huge need. Can also see us drafting another late round DE project.

LB's
    Lamarr Woodley - Stud who is still getting better
    James Farrior - Led the team in tackles and missed A. Smith in front of him.
    Lawrence Timmons - Has shown flashes of greatness.
    James Harrison - Still a beast. Hard to improve on a DPOY performance.
    Keyaron Fox - Adequate back-up but not the long term answer beyond J. Farrior
    Patrick Bailey - Career special teamer
    Andre Frazier - Career special teamer
    Rocky Boiman - Career special teamer

No doubt the loss of Aaron Smith affected the play of the linebacking corps. I would still stack our starting four against any teams. We are very thin here across the board and that is not good on a 3-4 defense. The back-ups are not studs in waiting but perennial special teamers. Wouldn't be surprised if we take an ILB and OLB in this draft.

Secondary
    Ike Taylor - Still never locates the ball and still can't catch a cold (ball).
    Ryan Clarke - Sucks and whines about it
    Troy Polamalu - Still one of the best when he's on the field.
    William Gay - Needs to find something else in life to do!
    Ryan Mundy - ???
    Keenan Lewis - ???
    Joe Burnett - ???
    Tyrone Carter - Hold the door for Gay and please follow him out the door.
    Anthony Madison - Career special teamer.
    Deshea Townsend - Time to retire.

This was our achilles heal in the season and cost us the most games. Gay was pathetic. Carter could not fill the void left by Troy and Clarke was exposed as a whining biatch with no cover skills. Most of our losses could be attributed to the lack of skills in this secondary. Didn't see enough of Burnett, Mundy, or Lewis to give them a grade and I don't think they played enough to develope their skills much. Gay, Clarke, Carter, and Townsend need to move on. We need a quality cover corner badly. Don'tcha miss McFadden about now?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Addicted
    2 words

ERIC BERRY

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Keyaron Fox - Adequate back-up but not the long term answer beyond J. Farrior and Career special teamer
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Addicted
    i dunno...fox has done good when he's needed to fill in on defense

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    This team needs safety help and ball hawking corner....Troy is ball hawk when on the field and is elite.......The fact our corners have 0 INTs this year is a real telling sign.....I want a play-maker at corner.....Sure a shut down guy would be nice but those are hard to find.....I would settle a guy that is solid in coverage but an elite play-maker that actually could make an INT......

Draft best player available is the way I always like to see the team go.....So really NT, DE, OLB, ILB, S, or even a corner is fine with me.......Of course if an OT is there worth taking them I'm fine with that....I would also consider a WR to....Can never have enough weapons for your QB......

Pretty spot on, I agree with almost everything. It's funny, I've been thinking Kirschke would be gone for 3 seasons now.

One disagreement, let's just call Lawrence Timmons a bust. Let's keep in mind he was drafted 15th overall. A player taken in that range should by now be playing atleast near pro bowl level. He'll occationally made a play because of his athletic ability. He's just not suited for the 3-4. Send him to a Tampa 2 team and he could be a star. I wanted Revis bad that year...the Jets got us there, and might get us now for the final playoff spot. I guess we owed them after those missed FG's in the playoffs a few seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    Pretty spot on, I agree with almost everything. It's funny, I've been thinking Kirschke would be gone for 3 seasons now.

One disagreement, let's just call Lawrence Timmons a bust. Let's keep in mind he was drafted 15th overall. A player taken in that range should by now be playing atleast near pro bowl level. He'll occationally made a play because of his athletic ability. He's just not suited for the 3-4. Send him to a Tampa 2 team and he could be a star. I wanted Revis bad that year...the Jets got us there, and might get us now for the final playoff spot. I guess we owed them after those missed FG's in the playoffs a few seasons ago.
    Id jut wish they would swap Harrison and Timmons. Timmons would own the world as a OLB, and Harrison would probably be as good inside as outside imo.

--- Added 12/29/2009 at 07:08 AM ---

Alright, i thought i would try to say a few things about defensive players i would not mind going to Pittsburgh next year. I am trying to put them mention them in the order i think they'll be selected in (i am going to leave out Suh and McCoy, because we are not going to get them - no chance what so ever. I am going to have Berry, just because i like him so much. Probably wont get him though):

Eric Berry FS/CB: This guy can do it all. He can tackle, he can Intercept the ball, he can cover. He is probably the most complete DB to ever enter the draft. He is a FS, but could play CB if he had to. With Clark having his final year, and a bad one at that, Berry would be amazing, and with him and Polamalu back there, you wouldnt even need to address CB >.> They would have it all covered - thats how good they would be.

Videos:

- Amazing quality!

Taylor Mays FS Way to high, yes. But you can't ignore his freakish athleticism, so he will most likely go this high, and the Steelers could be tempted. He would have a good teacher next to him in Troy, and Mays does have potential. I hope Steelers pass on him though, and he goes to Raiders instead.

Videos:

- at least he hits like Ryan Clark >.>

Joe Haden CB This one is tough, because the next two guys could probably go before him, but Haden is probably going to be the first CB in this years draft. He has good speed, size and he covers well. He makes his fair share of interceptions too. He is probably going to be drafted a little too high, compared to his skills, but the CB class is not as talented this year as last year (imo). He would be an upgrade over both Gay and Ike Taylor.

Videos:

Rolando McCLain LB I am having a hard time figuring out who'll go first - him or Spikes, but right now, most boards have Rolando going first, so i'll stick with that. The guy is a stud, and plays with great great awareness. When he reads something (which he does great) he'll do it, without hesitation. He is a sure tackler, and he would fit good next to Timmons, because he would probably allow Timmons to play a little more free, which probably would benefit Timmons well.

Videos

Not really any good videos on him on the net (at least i could find), but here is a little clip:

Brandon Spikes LB Pretty much the same as McClain. Great awareness, great tackler, and he can get after the QB as well. He could probably replace Farrior from day one, although we know that wont happen on this defense.

Videos:

Terrance Cody NT Cody is hard to figure out when he'll go, because he is having a little trouble with his weigh, and could go both early and late in the first round, but i think he will go somewhere mid-late in the first. He is really a no-brainer. With Hampton probably leaving, Steelers need a new anchor, and Cody is that anchor. He is big, strong and does what a NT is supposed to do: Stop the run. Steelers will be very tempted to go after him, even though i don't think he is the best true NT in the draft. I would rate both Dan Williams and Phil Taylor over him, but that is just my sorry opinion.

Videos: Not to many highlights of the guy yet, but a little from training:

Earl Thomas S Im not sure about this one. Im pretty sure he will go in the first round, but im not sure Steelers will give him a try, because there will be very good safeties available in the second round, but Earl Thomas is a good safety, who is having a great year in Texas. He reads the QB well, and is pretty good in coverage. Would be a good replacement to Clark.

Videos: Not really any vids available.

Ras-I Dowling CB As K-train said in his DB rankings, this guy is a clone of Ike Taylor with his size and speed, but Dowling has got great technique to go with it, and he can intercept the ball. With a solid combine and proday, he could go mid first round.

Videos:

Donovan Warren CB This guy is going to shoot up in the rankings, but right now i think he'll go late first round. He has got pretty much everything you would want out of a CB. Good speed, size and technique. Would be a good upgrade in the secondary.

Videos:

Dan Williams NT Probably to low right now. He is going to shoot way up on the boards when we enter the combine and prodays. He is a great NT, with good technique, and great strength.

Videos:

- play two... Not going to show you him as a good NT, but only thing i could find with him.

Phil Taylor NT Has had his problems outside of the field, which is going to make him fall a little, but he is probably the best true NT in the draft. The guy is freakish strong, and gets great push. If he falls to the second round, which i think he could, then Steelers needs to pick him up. He would be a great additions.

Videos: Could not find anything really.

Nate Allen FS I like this guy a lot, and while he is not going too high on most boards right now, he is not going past the second round. He is a a baller, and he would fit right into Steelers system imo. Good technique, good ball skills, and he can read the QB pretty well too. I would rather have him in the second, than Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays in the first.

Videos:

Brandon Ghee CB a guy who will shoot up on the boards. He is aggressive on the ball, and he has a great technique. I would love to see him as a Steeler. He plays the run pretty well too.

Videos:

I know that highlight videos are pretty much worthless, but at least it gives you somewhat of an idea about how the player plays the ball. I know the rankings is going to change a lot, and i know that most of you wont agree with my rankings, so bash away
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Impatient
    Lets keep in mind that Timmons was drafted to be an OLB and to replace Harrison or Haggans, but he injured himself in training camp and Woodley made the transition from DE to OLB so smoothly and played so well, along with Harrison, that they let Haggans go and started Woodley and Harrison, which left Timmons to be the OLB backup or ILB. Most people think he will be better when he can move to Farrior's position and is better suited for that. Also, lets not forget this is his first season solely as ILB, as last year, he played both. I think Timmons is going to be great for us for many seasons to come at ILB position, either one.

Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post

I agree with you about Timmons. As someone else stated in another thread about them not being sold on Mendenhall I am not sold on Timmons.

I also don't think Clark is that bad of a FS. Everyone keeps saying how Troy makes the CBs look good well he also makes Clark a better player. I don't think anyone can give the LBs a pass due to Aaron Smith being injured and them not playing great and not do the same for Clark. Look who he has had to play alongside most of the season...Carter. Carter makes everyone look worse.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblk&gld View Post
    2 words

ERIC BERRY
    Wont fall past the top 5.

Thread Information