Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowher to return to coaching in 2010

Bookmark and Share

Cowher to return to coaching in 2010

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

Sources: Bucs may make run at Cowher

By Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen
    ESPN

After turning down chances to return to the NFL in previous offseasons, former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher is primed to get back in the game this time.

Those who know Cowher firmly believe that he plans to coach in 2010, according to two league sources. He is laying the groundwork, making calls to piece together a coaching staff and acting like a man who will be patrolling the sidelines once again next season.

Schefter's Blog

Keep up with Adam Schefter's news and notes from around the NFL daily on his ESPN Insider blog. Schefter blog

Many around the league have expected Cowher's name to surface in connection to the Carolina job, and it might. But others also believe that a more likely landing spot might be the Panthers' division rival Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Over the past year, Tampa Bay has undergone more changes than any NFL team. More are coming. At the very least, associate head coach/special teams coach Rich Bisaccia is expected to leave the staff. He's widely considered to be on his way to join the University of Tennessee coaching staff, but could also get looks as a college head coach.

Defensive line coach Robert Nunn and defensive backs coach Joe Baker were part of the Jim Bates package, and will not return.

And now there is an increasing sentiment within the Buccaneers' organization that head coach Raheem Morris will be one-and-done. Two weeks ago, CBS announcer Rich Gannon criticized the way Buccaneers' practices are run, the latest example of the job being too big for Morris right now.

NFC South blog
    ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas writes about all things NFC South in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

If the Buccaneers decide to part ways with Morris as well, multiple people around the league think Tampa Bay will wind up making a run at Cowher.

League sources labeled as erroneous any speculation that the Glazer family, which owns the Bucs, may be too financially strapped to pursue Cowher. One source added that Joel Glazer, one of the team's owners, recently has expressed strong admiration for Cowher to other owners.

Additionally, those who know the Glazer family noted that they are always prepared to do the dramatic, citing the firing of Tony Dungy and the acquisition of then-Raiders coach Jon Gruden, Dungy's successor, in which the Bucs sent multiple draft picks, including two first-rounders, and $8 million cash to Oakland.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Anybody with half a brain knows BC will coach again; he needed a break from the sidelines after getting burnt out from his time in Pittsburgh. He's spent the last 2 years in the cozy CBS analyst chair, and personally I think he's done a real good job but you know his competitive nature won't stay buried in the office forever.

Bucs, Browns, & Panthers should all be courting Cowher this offseason. If the Redskins had any sense whatsoever they would too but he'll never stand to work with an owner like Snyder who doesn't know his football *** from a hole in the ground.

Panthers would easily be the best fit. It's his hometown, he would have two dynamic backs and a good defense (when the other Kemo is healthy). That's signature Cowher right there. Moore also looks like he's a starting caliber QB based on his performance against the Giants.

Man that pic gets me everytime! He looks like a jackass!

BC will make a diffrence to any team he goes to! Just leave Colbert the F alone!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm sure his first choice would be Carolina, that would be a no brainer for him for those reasons you just mentioned. I've always felt like Carolina was the NFC version of the Steelers; their philosophy has always been very similar to ours. The like to run it, be physical on defense, use the passing game to complement the run, get a lead in the first half and then grind the clock to finish it out, etc.

If Carolina finishes strong though, they'll be more apt to keep Fox around as the HC; but his loyalty to Delhomme could be his downfall.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well Richardson LOVES Coward so i see him coming here, they have a power running game which Coward loves an they just might have found there QB of the Future in Moore someone to manage the game, i would be surprise if Coward went else where, Carolina is a good coach away from being back in the SuperBowl.........But then again he could be going to the highest bidder, cause he wanted mad cash from the Rooneys for that 1 superbowl out of 15 years of coaching
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 12-28-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Cowher taking over Buccaneers?

There's a rumor going around that Bill Cowher will return to head coaching in the NFL next season and the team he'll take over will be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. And the Bucs aren't doing anything to stop the rumor from rolling, according to the Tampa Tribune.
    Current head coach Raheem Morris has only been in the position for one year and has a lot of room for improvement. The Bucs were 3-12 this season, good for third worst in the league.

While the temptation of Cowher may prove too strong for the Bucs' owners, the team's rally from 17 points gown to beat the New Orleans Saints in overtime has apparently gained him some respect that either will help keep him in the organization or certainly help him get a new gig somewhere else.
    Another team to add to the list of where Cowher will be playing next year.....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Addicted
    saw this yesterday...that would make my sister in law the happiest bucs fan in the world, lol

Let the jaw hang out and let the spit fly!

My Mood
    Addicted
    I personally hope that he takes a job anywhere but here within the division. No way would I or could I see BC coaching the clowns. That would be too hideous to even think about.

Thread Information