Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please start burnett and lewis....

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Please start burnett and lewis....

can't be any worse than this...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...s-pass-defense

The Pittsburgh Steelers (6-6) have allowed a lot of key passing plays during their four-game losing streak, particularly in the fourth quarter.

So the AFC North blog checked in with ESPN Stats & Information this week to find out exactly where the big plays were coming from the past four games.

Here is what we found:

Pittsburgh's left side

Cornerback: Ike Taylor

Stats: 41-of-62 (66.1 percent), 425 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Ints.

Analysis: It looks like opponents are attacking short on Pittsburgh's left side, and the high completion percentage is a concern. That says Taylor is not getting his hands on the ball enough to create pass defenses. The Steelers also have zero interceptions from cornerbacks this year, which has to improve. Quarterbacks won't feel threatened throwing on the perimeter if the worst thing that happens is an incompletion.

Pittsburgh's middle

Clark

Carter

Safeties: Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter

Stats: 11-for-20 (55 percent), 171 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints.

Analysis: On Monday, I wrongfully downed Clark and Carter during this four-game losing streak. But I definitely retract those statements, because these are solid numbers that proved me incorrect. Even without Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh’s safeties are preventing the big statistical plays. The Steelers are allowing just 42.75 passing yards a game up the middle during their skid. Clark continues to be around the football with 14 tackles in his past two games.

Pittsburgh's right side

Gay

Cornerback: William Gay

Stats: 24-of-47 (51.1 percent), 427 yards, 4 TDs and 0 Ints.

Analysis: The low completion percentage is solid, but the amount of big plays is off the charts on Pittsburgh's right side. Opponents in the past four games are averaging 17.8 yards per completion throwing in the direction of Gay. Four of those 24 completions have been touchdowns. Statistically, it looks like one side is giving up a high percentage of completions and the other is giving up big plays. These are issues Pittsburgh’s coaching staff will try to fix this week against the Cleveland Browns (1-11).

I just sprayed my monitor with puke! What a joke, how could you let these clowns on the field???? Make a change!

My Mood
    Addicted
    i knew it was bad, but i didn't know it was 800+ yds bad (gay/taylor combined)

this is through 4 ****ing games!

lmao at burnett and lewis being the cure all

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    lmao at burnett and lewis being the cure all
    No one is calling it a cure all! just a chance for someone to step up and make an f'n play, the 2 guys out there now can't, been proven! No better time for it than now, the season is over...

even in a slump, i dont think you can just bench Ike, hes been in slumps like this before. the whole team is sucking it up

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    uumm, guys, look at this for a minute.. How often do QB's throw for atleast 200 yds in a game on any given Sunday, regardless of what defense they are up against? Pretty often, it's just common sense. 200 yds passing it not a big deal in this day and age. Common sense also tells you that the corners the majority of the passes thrown at them,not the safeties. The Safeties jobs are to stop big plays and help out the DB's, which is being accomplished for the most part.

The issue here is the DB's but really, 800 yds passing over 4 games is nothing to go crazy over, that's only 200 yds per game passing which is the norm. Are the DB's playing well, of course not, Gay gives up way too many big plays and Ike gives up all the easy stuff mostly. It is as bad as it looks but on the other hands it's not quite as bad as it looks if you get where I'm going with this. It just looks that way because we've lost 4 in a row.

The point is really, the rookies should get some playing time but let's not say they need to start because they'll do better..if anything the chances are they'll fair worse..but again who's to say for sure. The fact that most of this happens late in the game is disturbing, I'll give you that, but it's not just the DB's here, it's the lack of pressure from the front 7 too. Our defense is based on pressure, if we don't get to the QB we're vulnerable to big plays, it's always been that way. So don't just blame the DB's, blame all 11 guys.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 12-09-2009 at 01:39 PM.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    It's not "that" we're being torched, it's "when" we're being torched.......as much as it pains me, small changes is all we need, maybe only procedural changes.......the season is not over and benching your starters on 4 days rest and prep is stupid. Rotate them and make some other small changes. If it works, we move on with it, if not, then make all the changes you want because it will not matter.....

I agree with Ike, but these guys are way to comfortable, need to put some scare in them!

I heard they are calling for wind and heavy snow for tomorrow night in Cleveland. Is Swaggin University going to be on a 2 hour delay or closed?

All joking aside, I want to see K.Lew and Burnett play more. Maybe not start but play more. They most likely wont be the cure all but I dont know if theyd be that much worse.

Thread Information