Thread: It's never too early to...

Bookmark and Share

It's never too early to...

...talk about the draft

I'm not talking about the team right now. I'm not saying we aren't making the playoffs. I did not give up on this years team. I just want to know what positions you think we should draft and and who? Also, I know there is one SA member who has some good info I would like to read (yes, you KTrain)

There are a ton of guys I like coming out this year but it really depends on who leaves via free agency and what position we are in the draft.....

Eric Berry - S, Tennessee: he is the best safety coming out but will be a top 5 pick

Taylor Mays - S, USC: just behind Eric Berry but he is an athletic freak. Should be a top 10 pick but could fall because of his play this year.

Terrence Cody - DT, Alabama - he is a plug in the middle and a great run stopper...seeing as how Casey Hampton will be gone, if we did find a way to draft Mount Cody, our D line shouldn't even lose a step. Should be a top 20 pick but I could see us trading up if Casey leaves.

C.J. Spiller - RB, Clemson - He is by far my favorite player coming out of the draft. He's got blazing speed and is without question the most explosive player in the draft. He would also be an immediate upgrade for PR and KR. Having Rashard Mendenhall and C.J. Spiller would be absolutely sick. That tandem would give us the "Thunder and Lightning" that Rashard and Willie were supposed to be together. If he falls to us in te first round, don't be suprised if we take him.

Brandon Spikes - MLB, Florida - he is special. He's extremely smart and has terrific instincts. He should be a middle-late first round pick. I wouldn't mind the pick if the players above were all taken.

Myron Rolle - S, Florida State - he's been out of football for a year because he is a Rhodes scholar and decided to pursue it. Obviously he is extemely smart. He will
    be a second-third round pick but I'm not sure where.

Jahvid Best - RB, Cal - extemely fast and has great vision...it's tough to pinpoint where he will go...could be anywhere from 1st round to 3rd round but he us explosive and would be a great tandem with rashard.

DeMarco Murray - RB, Oklahoma - he's fast, elusive and could help in the return game. He's got first round talent but isn't an every-down back in the NFL. He would be a great value pick in the 3rd-4th round.

Ciron Black - OT, LSU - he's a monster and can go anywhere from the middle of the first round to the second round.

Joe Haden - CB, Florida - he's a beast in coverage and a great tackler for a corner...he will be a mid to late first round pick and the 1st corner taken...he could definitely come in and start inplace of William gay.

Kam Chancellor - FS, Virginia Tech - Hes big (6'4, 225) and has great athleticism, will probably be a third round pick.

Earl Thomas - S, Texas - Redshirt sophomore who is expected to come out and be a late 1st early second round pick...not ideal NFL size (5'10, 197) but has great speed and great coverage skills...very versitile and could be a very, very good player.

Morgan Burnett - S, Georgia Tech - complete ball hawk, great size and speed, probably a second round pick.

Rolando McClain - MLB, Alabama - A junior who, if he comes out, will be a first round pick. Hes a monster and aguably the best linebacker in college football. Big (6-4, 249), strong, athletic, fast...would be a great pick.

There are a ton of quality safeties this year...i think the steelers could get a great value pick in the 2nd-4th round.
    Last edited by Big T; 12-02-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Our Needs

CB
    Taylor will always be a good corner. Gay seems like he can't get any better but we'll deal for now. That's pretty much it with Townsend sadly withering away and I haven't seen any of Burnett or Lewis.

OL
    Although they did get better the Trashmen need a new Truck and we need to find at least one lineman to upgrade over pretty much anybody

MLB
    The Steelers do have one of the best LB corps in the NFL. But with Farrior looking like he's at the end of his rope I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a 1st round LB if one good enough falls to us. I'd really like to see if Fox could step tho.

DT (Pending Hampton)
    If Hampton leaves were missing the Staple in our 3-4 Defense. If he does leave then we have to adress this early in the draft our we take a huge step back.

Quote Originally Posted by KRAZYRIDE View Post
    Our Needs

CB
    Taylor will always be a good corner. Gay seems like he can't get any better but we'll deal for now. That's pretty much it with Townsend sadly withering away and I haven't seen any of Burnett or Lewis.

OL
    Although they did get better the Trashmen need a new Truck and we need to find at least one lineman to upgrade over pretty much anybody

MLB
    The Steelers do have one of the best LB corps in the NFL. But with Farrior looking like he's at the end of his rope I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a 1st round LB if one good enough falls to us. I'd really like to see if Fox could step tho.

DT (Pending Hampton)
    If Hampton leaves were missing the Staple in our 3-4 Defense. If he does leave then we have to adress this early in the draft our we take a huge step back.
    I agree almost 100%-- DB/FS will be a primary concern if Clark is not resigned, if he is, DB is still a concern since Lewis/Burnett have not seen much playing time or progression. With our secondary taking a lot of shots lately, it should definitely be addressed (Townsend will probably not be re-signed).

MLB is another problem since Farrior is almost as old as Tomlin. Although he's well into his 30's, Farrior hasn't shown much digression until this year-- mainly in the passing defense. Timmons has definitely shown his progression lately, but that second slot and backup must be addressed in the higher rounds. This is tricky considering how Bruce Davis was drafted in the upper 3 rounds but to no avail. LB's are the foundation of this franchise and without a cohesive and quality core, we will crumble.

Like you said, DT is pending. Hood has shown progression but our line is definitely aging-- Hood being the only one under 32 I believe. Even if we resign Big Snack somehow, he's not getting any younger. If we resign Casey, I can see DT being pushed back to next years draft considering there's only so many rounds in the draft.

OL could be upgraded (obviously) but they have shown the ability to run block, and protect Ben (although very inconsistently). I wouldn't be pissed if they drafted a OL within the 1st 3 rounds, but we did draft around 3 linemen last year, I believe 2 within the first 4 rounds.

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea who/where they will draft this year.

This is full of fail for one single reason: we have at least 3 other freaking post about the same subject... >.< Go have a look there, and you'll see that Ktrain already have said a whole lot of good things, as has quite a few other good draft guys, including Big T
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information