Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still hanging on; team not out of the playoff race yet

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Still hanging on; team not out of the playoff race yet

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_480704.html

They bought themselves another week.
    The Pittsburgh Steelers didn't close the sizable gap between them and AFC North leader Baltimore despite scoring three touchdowns in the final 10 minutes to beat the Cleveland Browns 24-20 on Sunday.

Nine teams lead them in the race for six AFC playoff spots, and five are ahead of them by at least three games with six to play.

The Steelers (4-6) prevented all-but-mathematical elimination for at least another week, though a loss next weekend at AFC North leader Baltimore (8-2) would leave them five games down in the division with five to play.

Clearly, the Steelers need the kind of desperation, late-season stretch drive that hasn't been staged in the NFL since ... well, last year. Then, the Steelers had to win their final eight games to reach the playoffs and win the Super Bowl and accomplished exactly that.

The Steelers have won two games in a row for the first time this season and they won Sunday on the road for the first time in five games.

For now, they are hanging their hopes on putting together a comeback run.

"We're just trying to win one week at a time," coach Bill Cowher said. "I don't know if we have dug too deep a hole, but they are playing hard. To come back two weeks in a row after being down, I think that shows a lot."

The problem is they're running out of time.

"There is no tomorrow," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "We know what's at stake."

The Steelers have two games remaining against the Ravens, whom they have beaten seven times in their last 10 meetings. The Ravens also have a tough closing stretch, with games at Cincinnati, Kansas City and Pittsburgh, plus home games against Cleveland and Buffalo.

Pittsburgh has two games remaining against losing-record teams, Tampa Bay (3-7) and Cleveland (5-5), but also plays Baltimore (8-2), Cincinnati (5-5) and Carolina (6-4) on the road.

Until last season, the Steelers hadn't made such a frantic stretch drive to reach the playoffs since 1989. Then, after being 6-7, they won their final three to sneak into the playoffs, upset Houston on the road in a wild-card game and lost at Denver 24-23 in a divisional game.

This time, to replicate what they did last season, the Steelers almost certainly have to win 12 in a row: their final eight regular-season games, plus four more in the playoffs. Currently, they're only two games into that theoretical 12-game streak.

Before the season began, most Steelers players would have laughed at any suggestion they would be so far down in the division race this deep into the season. Linebacker Joey Porter poked fun at several publications for picking the Steelers to finish third in the division, yet that's where they are.

That's all we've done is buy ourselves another week and that's all we can really focus on, work every single game as trying to gain some ground and buy ourselves another week from mathematical elimnation.

This team may have laughed at the thought of being where we are, when the season started..hell we all would have lauged too but it is what it is now.

House of Steel
    Be even more amazing if they was to pull the division away and get in.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wouldnt that just be something !!!

The only way we get in playoffs is to win our division, wild card will not happen.
    It maybe a longshot but at least its a shot !!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Well, we need the Jaguars to lose 3 games, possibly against the Colts, Pats, and Chiefs. We need the Chiefs to lose 2, possibly to the Broncos, Chargers, and Ravens. Surprisingly, the Jets may be our biggest competition for the last wildcard spot. We only need them to lose 1 or 2 games, but they play houston, green bay, buffalo, the vikings, miami, and oakland. And of course we have to run the table.

To win the division, we have to run the table, and have the ravens lose 4 games. 2 to us, 1 against maybe the Bengals, and 1 against either the Chiefs or the Browns.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Pittsburgh has two games remaining against losing-record teams, Tampa Bay (3-7) and Cleveland (5-5), but also plays Baltimore (8-2), Cincinnati (5-5) and Carolina (6-4) on the road.
    The Browns 5-5

This team can do it, they ran off 15 straight in 04 so 12 should be nothing! If any one team in the NFL could pull off such a task it would be the Steelers because they have all the right pieces but the pieces need to come together to pull it off.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    This week will be very telling on who this team is (the Steelers) and where they are in the learning curve.

They're either going to fight like hell to eek out a win, or thier about to get an *** beating of epic proportions. Those are the 2 scenarios I see ....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yep this is indeed the week to tell all so far...we win this game and we live to fight another day in the AFCN with 5 games after that to go. If we lose this game the playoffs are all but gone.

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    Be even more amazing if they was to pull the division away and get in.
    It can be done.

They say not 2-6 team makes the playoffs
    NO 6TH SEED HAS WON THE SUPER BOWL EITHER! Or has there.

House of Steel
    I see your point. We can duplicate history.

Thread Information