Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Madden needs to STFU

Bookmark and Share
    Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar

Mark Madden needs to STFU

Tuesday, November 21, 2006
    By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

ESPN Radio 1250 talk-show host Mark Madden is a large man with a large audience and claims to have a large IQ. But the largest aspect of Madden is his ego. His ego is so large that whenever he loses a job, it's never his fault. His ego is so large that he actually believes one of the most important men in Pittsburgh cares what he says.

Madden was fired last week from his once-a-week job as a panelist on a WTAE-TV show, "Action Sports Sunday."

Rather than reflecting on what he might have done wrong, Madden immediately lashed out, not so much at WTAE, the employer that fired him, but at the Steelers in general and owner Dan Rooney in particular.

Madden claimed the Steelers orchestrated his firing because he was too critical of the team. Even before he began a long diatribe against the team, he took on Rooney, the widely respected and revered Steelers chairman and a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Madden suggested Rooney should do something that is too vulgar to be reprinted in this newspaper.

It should have been something too vulgar to be heard on the public airwaves, but Madden has made a career of such comments while his bosses at ESPN Radio 1250 look the other way.

What followed his comment about Rooney was a typical Madden rant, illogical, full of half-truths and worse. .

"I was told [the firing] was because I used the word 'jackass' during a broadcast," Madden said Thursday afternoon in the second segment of his 3-7 p.m. show. "That seemed a bit harsh. So I thought there's got to be more to it than that and, of course, there is. The Steelers complained to Channel 4 [WTAE] and said they wouldn't provide any interviews to Channel 4 -- no players, no nothing -- if I remained on the show."

WTAE news director Bob Longo, who terminated Madden, said, "That's laughable. No one or no organization dictates content to this station. Not the Steelers and certainly not a radio talk-show host."

What really happened was that WTAE was tiring of Madden's high-wire act. The station was never sure what he was going to say and that was a concern, particularly when the show aired live. He made his reputation on talk-radio with outrageous statements with little regard for the truth. That might work on ESPN Radio 1250 but it doesn't on local television. On the Nov. 5 show, Madden called cornerback Deshea Townsend "a jackass."

Madden was right on one point. The Steelers were angry. But not Rooney. He had no idea what Madden said, and Madden was flattering himself in the extreme if he thought as much. Madden's often savage attacks on the team were too much for some players. One player, possibly two, quietly let Jon Burton, WTAE's sports director, know they would be less-than-cooperative with the station that employed Madden.

That is their personal right. But to suggest WTAE would be barred from asking questions is not. According to NFL rules, which apply to the Steelers, accredited media, and that is WTAE, cannot be barred from media sessions. In other words, even if WTAE continued to employ Madden, its representatives could not be kept away from media sessions.

The Steelers said they never issued any type of threat to WTAE or so much as suggested access would be restricted.

Madden didn't stop with WTAE. He also went after the KDKA show, "Sports Showdown," which airs Sunday night.

"I talked to someone involved with Channel 2's [KDKA] show and they said, swear to God, 'Well, you know, we're only allowed to criticize the Steelers up to a certain point.' "

Madden didn't name his source. We talked to four people who regularly appear on that show: Ron Cook of the Post-Gazette, Joe Starkey of the Tribune-Review, Jon Steigerwald of KDKA-TV and Paul Alexander of FSN Pittsburgh.

All four said no one has ever tried to muzzle them on the show. To the contrary, they felt the show had been extremely tough on the Steelers.

Madden went on to say, "The Steelers are like the Mafia. The Steelers are like Pittsburgh's own version of the Kremlin. Don't even tell me it's run by good people. Don't even tell me the Steelers are run by good guys. Never tell me Mr. Rooney is anything more than another typically greedy control freak again. That's all he is."

In the 37 years I have covered sports for two Pittsburgh newspapers, no one from the Steelers ever has tried to tell me what to write or criticized me for what I did write. To the contrary, almost without exception, the Steelers have been extremely cooperative.

Toward the end, Madden topped himself as only he can.

"Not only is nothing I've said during this rambling and sometimes disjointed monologue untrue, none of it is even exaggerated."

Once again, Madden shows himself to be the man who will say anything, whether it's true or not.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i don't feel like reading that, but i agree lol, i hate this fool, he ruined wcw for me, he just ****ing sucks lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    I was listening to him talk about losing his job on his show and even though he might be full of it, this is a good write up on how sports dominate the media...

http://mondesishouse.blogspot.com/20...arked-man.html
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

House of Steel
    Mark Madden is Pittsburgh's BIGGEST JACKASS They've Ever Seen. He can go wipe his *** in Baltimore where he should work.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Madden is an idiot ! Every article Ive ever read or commentary I've heard him say just confirms how much of a jackass he himself is ! Im glad his dumbass got fired, the local media is better without his worthless commentary.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I hate Mark Madden the guy is a fat piece of donkey ****. I remember the 2000 season when the Steelers lost to Cleveland in the third game of the season. That loss dropped the Steelers to 0-3 to start the season. I'll never forget Joey Porter leveled current Steelers punter Chris Gardocki a couple times during the game. Gardocki got up and flipped off the Steelers bench and Porter.

The next day Mark Madden was on ESPN radio and I was listening to ESPN on way to work. He called Porter a thug and the Steelers were going to go nowhere with thugs like Porter on the team. Well since Madden said that the Steelers have been to 3 AFC title games and won a Super Bowl. Great call there Mark you jackass.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I remember that game well.

How Madden can possibly ever call himself a credible journalist is beyond me. This was a long time coming if you ask me.

House of Steel
    I hope noone hires that fat *** ever again. HE can go to Baltimore and rip into the Ravens. He comes to Cleveland, I will hunt and shoot his *** down.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    I hope noone hires that fat *** ever again. HE can go to Baltimore and rip into the Ravens. He comes to Cleveland, I will hunt and shoot his *** down.
    You might need an elephant gun to shoot Mark Madden with.

House of Steel
    I am sure I can find a good size bullet to take his wide load out.

Maybe, I should make a sign that says, Please Yield to the Right, Wide Load Ahead!!! LMAO.

Thread Information