Thread: Corners playing 10 yards off the line?

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

Corners playing 10 yards off the line?

I think it's ridiculous to blitz and have Ike and Gay play 10 yards off the line of scimmage. It drives me crazy when D Backs have No idea where the ball is. When they threw it right to Ike and Clark they dropped the ball without being touched. Linebackers are getting beat in coverage also. If Timmons isn't 100% then Fox should be in there on 3rd down passing situations. Woodley isn't fast enough on 3rd and long either unless he is blitzing.

They play 10 yards off the ball to minimize getting burnt by the deep ball. Obviuosly it isn't 100% safe guard. Brett Favre exploited this with quick hitch and slant passes and relied on the receivers to generate YAC. IMO, 10 yards is too much, especially on 3rd and 5. It's been a long time since I have seen the Steelers play Bump and Run.

If the Steelers execute a blitz and the QB knows there is a 10 yard cushion on the WR, he calls a hot route and they beat the blitz. However, if there is a blitz and the cushion is not there, it forces the QB to hold to the ball a little longer, which gives us a better opportunity of making a sack creating a turnover.

Draft Pick
    And that's why we suck defending 3rd and long.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Lebeau has been running this defense for quite awhile now, that's part of the 34 zone blitz scheme is that corners play off the WR's most of the time. If the pass rush does what it's supposed to do, most of the time you never have an issue. It's all about the pressure on the QB and making sure you stop the run. If you don't get to the QB you're going to have problems. It's always been that way; it drives me nuts at times too but it is what it is; just allowing the DB's the keep everything in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    They play 10 yards off the ball to minimize getting burnt by the deep ball. Obviuosly it isn't 100% safe guard. Brett Favre exploited this with quick hitch and slant passes and relied on the receivers to generate YAC. IMO, 10 yards is too much, especially on 3rd and 5. It's been a long time since I have seen the Steelers play Bump and Run.

If the Steelers execute a blitz and the QB knows there is a 10 yard cushion on the WR, he calls a hot route and they beat the blitz. However, if there is a blitz and the cushion is not there, it forces the QB to hold to the ball a little longer, which gives us a better opportunity of making a sack creating a turnover.
    actually the first jets - pats game had the jets playing and hitting the WR's off the line and blitzing. they beat the pats and kept brady from killing them on that short game.

thats how you play to beat the pats - colts

they will kill you with the short seam and slant routes.

actually the steelers are missing this whole offensive part of their game. which is why we have ben blitzed and beaten into the ground so often.

Yeah dont bitch about it now when the same defense was used last year. They dont give up the deep ball. And if you about to bring up the Chiefs game, that was the first deep ball in a long time.

My Mood
    Cool
    Our corner's have only allowed one passing touchdown all year long. So I guess it's working for the most part as far as defending the pass. Doesn't help keeping the defense on the field so long with the short routes, but our DB's are playing pretty well as far as the thrown at/receptions ratio goes.

Thread Information