Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the Steelers still make it to the Super Bowl if they dont win the AFC North...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Can the Steelers still make it to the Super Bowl if they dont win the AFC North...

And are a wildcard team and either the 5th or 6th seed in the AFC?? Now I know people are going to say yes and base a lot of it on the fact that the Steelers did it in 2005 as the 6th seed,and the Giants did it two years later in 2007 as the 5 seed. But other then those 2 teams in the history of the National Football League no other teams have done it. Now I know the Raiders of 1980,the Broncos of 1997 and the Ravens of 2000 did it as wildcard's as well but they at least got to play one game of the 3 they won in the AFC playoffs at home.

The Steelers if they are a wildcard team this season much like they were in 2005 unless by some unseen miracle the 5 and the 6 seed make it to the Championship game arent getting that lucky. Now I know people will say again they did it in 2005 but let's face it fellas there was a lot and I mean a lot that had to go right for the Steelers in that magical run of 2005. Palmer got taken out of the first game in Cincy as we all know,Ben had to make a miracle saving tackle on Harper in the Indy game after the Bettis fumble to prevent him from scoring, and then Vanderjact who rarely missed FG's in the RCA Dome shanked one that would have sent the game to OT to lose the game and prevent the Steelers from blowing an 18 point 4th quarter lead to the Colts. Then, they got lucky and played an overrated Broncos team in the AFC Championship game that was lead by Jake Plummer instead of facing Tom Brady and the Patriots in New England who ended up losing to the Broncos the week before. Plus, I think that run was really motivated by the fact that they wanted to really win for Jerome Bettis seeing that the Super Bowl was in Detroit and that win or lose this would be the last go around for Bettis. I dont know if they are going to have that kind of motivation this season if this has to be done again to go into those places I just mentioned and play over their heads and win each game.

Now I know it's not impossible for the Steelers to do guys but let's face it if they have to go on the road this year and do the exact samething Im telling you right now it's not going to be as easy and break friendly free as it was in 2005 it just wont be like that. Do you really want to bank on the possiblity of the Steelers having to go into either Cincy,San Diego or Denver,New England,or Indy 3 weeks in a row and winning every single one of those this season?? I sure as hell dont. And let's face it the Steelers are probably going to have to end up beating Tom Brady and Peyton Manning on the road back to back weeks which would just be an enormous task.

It's why Im here to tell you and why I have been posting this the past few days since the Bengals loss that you had better hope the Steelers win out the rest of this schedule and the Bengals lose at least 2 more games which I really really believe has a better then 50/50 chance of happening when you look at who the Steelers have left on their schedule the last 7 games and who the Bengals play on the road in December. If that happens the Steelers win the AFC North and get the number 2 seed in the AFC and the bye week. Then, your chances of playing 2 home games and hosting the Championship game much like last season increase and so does your odds of making it to the Super Bowl. And Im telling you if the Steelers get the bye week and get the number 2 seed I like their chances a lot of going to the Super Bowl even if it means having to still go to Indy to win the AFC Championship and just play one road game. All Im saying is I know people on here will point to 05 and say the Steelers did it then so they can do it again but the way the AFC is set up this year with the Patriots,Colts,and Bengals all being very tough the odds of the Steelers going into all 3 of those playoffs 3 straight weeks and winning are not very good.

It's why as Ive been saying also the Steelers chances of making it back to the Super Bowl might rely strongly on what happens in that Ravens game in Baltimore next Sunday night. Because if they win that game I can most definitely see the Steelers winning out the rest of their schedule with the Raiders,Browns,Packers,Ravens again,and Miami, and the Bengals losing 2 more games to the Vikings and Chargers on the road in December and the Steelers winning the North and getting the 2 seed. It's the best road to take to get to Miami and it's the safest road to take. Im usually as optimistic as anyone on this site but Ill say this if the Steelers do not win out and win this division and get the bye which is what it's probably going to take now to do so the chances of their being 7th Heaven come February 7th in Miami are going to be slim and none.
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 11-18-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Did it a few years back, beating who to finish on and go all the way!!

Good post and you make some really good points. I just think the Steelers are to unpredictable and there is still a ton of football yet to be played to worry about this being another super bowl year. That being said if any team in the NFL can do it the Steelers can!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Don't take this the wrong way man.....You do solid work and I enjoy reading your posts....But I just want to see how this team responds next week.....The offense had a bad day against the Bengals but the more alarming thing to me was that key players on that offense looked like they didn't care or their minds were some place else.......I know this team is going to beat the Chiefs...But to me that is not good enough....lol I want to see this offense respond and blow the Chiefs out.......This offense better score in the 30s or more against the Chiefs sorry D.....
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 11-18-2009 at 09:47 PM.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Did it a few years back, beating who to finish on and go all the way!!
    But like I was saying while making my points to start the thread this isnt a few years ago and you cant just say just because they did it in 2005 they are just automatically going to end up doing it again. If anybody on here says they feel comfortable with the Steelers having to go on the road in the playoffs for 3 straight weeks and have to beat Brady and Manning in probably 2 of those 3 weeks they are lying...Im just saying right now and Im making a bold prediction here either the Steelers win this division and get the bye week which they definitely will I believe if they should come back and win it, or they are not going to make it to the Super Bowl. Steelers fans pretty much need to count on the Steelers winning 10 games in a row to win the Super Bowl at this point 7 in the regular season to finish up, 2 in the AFC playoffs,and the Super Bowl because I strongly feel that's what it's going to take to get the job done this year. This Steelers team this year is not going to pull a 2005 fellas I hope Im wrong but I just dont see it happening...

My honest opinion is the team will be watching the play offs from their sofas this year! Unless they get their heads out of their asses and start playing up to the telant they have.

I'm sure I'll get flamed but like you said this isn't a few years back team, I was simply stating a fact with my post above.

We are just way too inconsistant this year...blame the coaches, blame the players. I blame the coaches somewhat more than players. Mendy running the ball 13 times after a huge game the week B4 is just mind blowing!
    Last edited by LatrobePA; 11-18-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Gold Standard
    Absolutely! This team is far from perfect but then so was last years team. I still believe that this years team is better than last years regardless of what their record is. It all comes down to staying healthy and peaking at the right time of year. Lord knows the Steelers have certainly not played their best football yet. I believe we are in the top 6 as far as talented teams in the NFL. The Colts, Saints, Patriots, Vikings, Bengals, and Steelers are all capable IMO of winning a championship if they get hot.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Love
    The reason the Steelers did it in 05 was because Ben PROMISED THE BUS he would get him to the super bowl. Don't forget that. And yes Big Ben made good on that promise. This time around he doesn't have to promise none of his team mates, but they still need to play as a team, work as a team, believe, have faith in eachother, fight for eachother, push eachother, lean on eachother and fight till the very end nonetheless. I believe the Steelers can and will go back to the super bowl if they put all this together. Always believe and never give up on your team. GO STEELERS!!!

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way man.....You do solid work and I enjoy reading your posts....But I just want to see how this team responds next week.....The offense had a bad day against the Bengals but the more alarming thing to me was that key players on that offense looked like they didn't care or their minds were some place else.......I know this team is going to beat the Chiefs...But to me that is not good enough....lol I want to see this offense respond and blow the Chiefs out.......This offense better score in the 30s or more against the Chiefs sorry D.....
    Im with you 32 I dont want to see the Steelers give the Chiefs any kind of life at all this Sunday. Im hoping for a complete F U game from the Steelers starting at kickoff to the sound of the horn around 4 o clock Sunday afternoon. I agree as well with just the whole offense looking lost on Sunday. I dont know what the deal was but a lot of guys just looked disinterested in the Bengals game for whatever reason. The Steelers pretty much can thank themselves for losing that Bengals game for being in the current situation I feel they are going to have to do to make it to the Super Bowl. Had they won the Bengals game they would have been in great shape the rest of the way and could have even afforded to lose at least one more game without it really hurting them too much. That's not the case anymore after the loss on Sunday. Unless the Bengals completely implode the Steelers are going to have to win their last 7 regular season games and hope Cincy loses 2 of their remaining 7 games. It's a ****** hard cold reality but that's the prediciment there in and that's what it's going to take to win this division from the Bengals. The bottom line here is this Steelers team cannot lose again this season it's as simple as that...
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 11-18-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Starter
    Honestly I have a feeling that that we wont win the SB this year, but then again if they do get to the playoffs the steelers are usually a team that can play consistent ball and make the big plays when they need to in the playoffs/superbowl

Thread Information