Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Ben & the offense

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

Thoughts on Ben & the offense

Ben needs to have a hot route to dump the ball off when teams blitz like Cincy did Sunday. Way too many sacks. Brady uses Welker and his backs. We have Holmes, Wallace, Heath, and could use a back when we spread the field. We also need to hrow more slants to Wallace and Holmes especially when teams put 6 or 7 in the box.

I agree with ya - now lets get B.A. to try them - moore is great in this situation. our offence is predictable - we never throw a screen ???

My Mood
    Sunshine
    hard to hit the hot route on a seven step drop.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Rookie Free Agent

Throw the ball away

I know Ben is very proud of his completion percentage but sometimes you have to throw the ball away. You can take sacks inside the 10 yard line. He also can't take Timeouts with a minute to go on the 8 yard line with a team on the ropes. That gave Cincy time to settle and call goal line defenses. He seems to struggle with clock management with two minutes to go or less. Two minutes is a lot of plays in the NFL. You can't leave teams like NE with any time left. The Colts did an outstanding job of running the clock out on NE. Something we don't seem to be able to do. Mendenhall should have had more carries. He averaged 100+ over the previous 5 games. Ben threw 40 some times. If it's 3rd and 10 he has to hit the man right in front of him for 11 instead of throwing it 20-30 for an incompletion. Several 3rd downs against Cincy he had an easy first down right in front of him and got greedy and we had to punt.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I see this as a problem with Ben, He's always looking for that great yards pick-up when he has guy wide open for the first. I bitch about this all the time.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Rookie Free Agent
    He can't take seven steps when people stack the line like Sunday. We could use Holmes or Wallace just like NE uses Welker. If they would start with the slants and quick stuff the longer routes will be there as they will have to move up to stop the short routes.
    Ben just can't seem to make the quick reads and will not throw the ball away. 1st and goal at the 8 with a chance to win the game and he takes a 10 yd sack. Very stupid play by Ben.

Rookie Free Agent steelersforever1983's Avatar
    we all know he holds on to the ball. it's apart of his game but think about it 2 rings with the qb so i'm not complaining.

Rookie Free Agent
    You can hold the ball when it's 4 or 5 guys coming, but especially Not if 6 or 7 coming against 5 blockers. You also can't take a 10 yard sack looking right at the guy at the 8 yard line with a minute to go. Ball game. That had Cincy on the ropes with 1st and goal with a minute to go and he calls timeout? That was smart and then come back from a timeout and take the sack.

Rookie Free Agent steelersforever1983's Avatar
    nah you saw big runs against the bengals who were blitzing almost every down and where playing pass all the way. we abandoned the run and went for the "Big Plays" like the eagles do. go back to the basics of football. running game plus play action pass or other pass plus defense wins you games. not just airing it out all the time.

Rookie Free Agent

Audible

I'm not by any means an Arians fan but I do believe Ben can call audibles pretty much anytime he wants. He should by now have the freedom to change the play at the line when the play thats called by Arians doesn't have a chance. Ben is very good but he's not all the way there yet. No where near Peyton or Brady at managing the game or accuracy.

Thread Information