Thread: They play to their opponents

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

They play to their opponents

& thats one of their faults. The reason why the Steelers will seldom have a blow out or shut out game is because when they play bad teams, they play worse than usual. When they play good teams, they're better than usual. It's not that they don't have the ability to play well every week and win, it's that they don't have the ability to be consistant and either play bad every week or good every week. Just my 2 cents.

Gold Standard
    You are right. And looking at the remaining schedule which should be easy wins for the Steelers, we know they will struggle in each and every game. That is the nature of this team. It is what it is!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Warren, OH. It's about a hour & 45 minutes NW from the Burgh.
    I think psychologically they think they are better than they actually are and whether it is conscious or subconscious they go into these games against bad teams thinking all they have to do is show up but they would never admit it. Remember, last year, the Steelers could just as easily ended up 8-8. There was quite a few games that could have gone either way. There is a fine line between winning and losing like Cowher used to say, but the Steelers were on the winning side of the line last year. It's the Steelers that can't handle success, they have overrated themselves and I am guilty of drinking the kool-aid too.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is what every Steeler team has done since the Cowher era started; when they play a team they are clearly superior too, they play down to their competition. You don't see teams like the Colts or Patriots doing that; when they get a chance they stomp on their opponents and rip their hearts out, leaving no doubt! When we play those teams we get into a dog fight that goes down the last minute or overtime.

Sad but true. One thing we know for certain is that EVERY game will be exciting in the 4th quarter. Personally I could live with a fwe games that were boring at the end.

I agree totally. I mean how can a team that hangs in with the vikings and then makes them pay with 2 defensive tds lose to a team with 11 no names on defense? They absolutely cannot do this...PERIOD!!! I mean this is not the same team that beat denver and minnesota. Cant blow out detroit or kc. Im a die hard fan and i cannot remember the last time the steelers have done this ****. It pisses me off that this is happening, knowing very well that we have a great team that doesn't show up every week. Consistency is the difference between a descent team and a great team, and if they can pick it up and start running more and KEEP MENDENHALL IN, then i think we have a chance at the wild card or hell even the division if cinci starts going downhill. I know that everyone is frustrated but there are 6 games left that are all winnable if we can overcome the "playing down to our opponents" and just come out gunning and playing the real steeler brand of football and jam it right down their throats.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Looking back at all of last year and this year, all the games have been close, and come down to the last play or the last few minutes if the game. Pittsburgh should have stomped out a few teams this year, but they keep spotting everyone 7 points on special teams, and just look off everywhere else. I dont get this team at all. They could be 10-0, but they have lost 3 games by 3 points, and 1 game by 6. remove the special teams "crappy play" and this team is the hunter. They still can turn this around. No one has put their foot on this teams throat, and they can win out....I know this team can do it.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Draft Pick
    I've been holding off saying this for a while but it's now definately clear that this is not going to be the Steelers year. Troy's out more than he's in, Arians is dialling up 45 passes against a 1 win team, the not so special teams reverting back to the Cowher era,barely beating the Browns etc.. It's just not going to be their year. Put Ziggy in and Keenan Lewis,cut Parker and let's see what these guys can do with the future in mind.

I don't disagree, but I don't agree 100%. I think it's both a)Steelers playing down and b)opposition stepping up its game, i.e. "let's show everybody that we can beat the Steelers"

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Looking back at all of last year and this year, all the games have been close, and come down to the last play or the last few minutes if the game. Pittsburgh should have stomped out a few teams this year, but they keep spotting everyone 7 points on special teams, and just look off everywhere else. I dont get this team at all. They could be 10-0, but they have lost 3 games by 3 points, and 1 game by 6. remove the special teams "crappy play" and this team is the hunter. They still can turn this around. No one has put their foot on this teams throat, and they can win out....I know this team can do it.
    Im with you Dean by the Raiders giving the Steelers and early Christmas present yesterday by beating the Bengals it gave the Steelers a new pulse yet again last night despite the horrific loss in KC to still win the AFC North and even get a bye week still. The key game to make that happen is in Baltimore Sunday night. You win that game you got the Raiders and the Browns up next. And I know people are going to come on here and say well yea we had the Chiefs yesterday and should have won and look what happened. But Im here to tell you dont count on the Steelers laying an egg to the Raiders at Heinz Field or the Browns in Cleveland like they did in KC yesterday. I know all bets are off after yesterday but it's highly unlikely that the Steelers end up losing either one of those games. Then, after that you have the Packers at Heinz Field who just lost two of their best defensive players for the year,and then the Ravens at home before finishing in Miami.

And Ill still keep putting an emphasis on Cincy playing those games back to back weeks in Minnesota and San Diego in December. If the Steelers can take care of business the next 3 weeks and this is still a big IF especially after yesterday against the Ravens,Raiders,and Browns and get to that week of December 13th where the Bengals then play the Vikings and then the Chargers the next week on the 20th back to back on the road they will still have a chance to win this division. The Bengals Im telling you are going to do their part and lose much like they did yesterday. The Steelers have to do their part and win and Im telling you if they do win out the last 6 games they will win this division despite what happened yesterday in KC. This is still not a pipe dream to suggest that this indeed can and will happen...

Thread Information