Thread: Polamalu's heart, hustle saves Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Polamalu's heart, hustle saves Steelers

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_480569.html

Shortly after the Steelers won the kind of game they have lost entirely too often this season, chairman Dan Rooney approached safety Troy Polamalu at his locker and inquired about his health.

"You all right?" Rooney asked.

Polamalu nodded yes. If Troy's OK, the Steelers are OK.

One week after suffering a concussion, Polamalu reminded everyone again Sunday why there's so much about him to like.

"It was my mindset the whole time to be able to play," said Polamalu, who received medical clearance early last week after suffering a concussion against New Orleans. "It's got to be that way, or else you'll never be prepared to play by the end of the week."

Any ill effects, Troy?

"I feel great. Thank you."

No one played a bigger role than Polamalu in the Steelers' 24-20 win over the Cleveland Browns.

Not even quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the gunslinger who passed for 272 yards and two touchdowns and guided the Steelers to a pair of clutch scores in the game's final 4 minutes, 14 seconds.

Polamalu was magnificent and magnaminous in victory.

"I can only line up where coach (Dick) LeBeau tells me to," said Polamalu, who was officially credited with seven tackles, one sack, one quarterback pressure and one pass defensed, along with a bunch of big plays that didn't appear on the stat sheet. "I think it's a testament to the calls of the defense, the way everybody plays and the trust we have back there."

Yeah, and if the little Dutch boy didn't stick his finger in the dike, someone else would have done it for him.

"We knew Troy was playing, and we knew we were going to get the great plays that Troy makes," linebacker Joey Porter said.

Modest to a fault, Polamalu was literally all over the field. He was a difference-maker in a game the 4-6 Steelers absolutely, positively, couldn't afford to lose.

There was the tackle in the second quarter, when Polamalu chased down Cleveland speed merchant Braylon Edwards from behind and prevented a long touchdown after Edwards made a catch to beat cornerback Ike Taylor along the sideline.

In a 40-yard sprint, Edwards would probably beat Polamalu nine out of 10 times, if not 10 out of 10. But when Polamalu, and the Steelers, needed it most, he shaved a fraction off his 40 time to make the touchdown-saving tackle at the Steelers' 19.

"Troy's got the fastest 10 yards in football," linebacker Larry Foote said. "I don't think Michael Johnson, one of the great sprinters, has a faster 10-yard sprint."

We are so blessed to have Troy on our team. He's worth every draft pick we gave up to get him. The man is truely amazing and epitomizes everything that a Steeler is.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    yup, he started off slow, and then started playing good, and then got hurt, but he saved us today on that one play in the 4th.......we need to lock him up in the offseason, it's a must
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He's the only real free agent we have to sign who's contract is coming to an end, everybody else is still under contract. He's the main guy we absolutely have to have.

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Troy's the man! I love to watch him play...seeing him flying across the field....watching EVERYBODY trying to figure out where he's gonna be next! An amazing talent with the heart to go with it. I'm so thankful he's a Steeler!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He's a perfect fit on our defense. Fast, strong, sure tackler, big hitter, closing speed equal to the best DB's in the league, and a nose for the football that you just can't teach.

House of Steel
    I am pretty darn sure, Rooney is going to sign this guy up long term without a doubt in my mind.

Troy is a heck of a player and I don't see him wearing another uniform ever in his career. He brings so much to the Steelers defense and is irreplaceable. Troy may have taken a tiny little step backwards this year just because of the new safety back there with him, but he starting to emerge again when the team needs it the most!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Troy is another one of those players you just cannot see in another teams colors, I agree AZ. He's from the mold of Woodson, Lake, Lambert, Harris, Swann, Ham, etc. He's just a Steeler through and through.

Ike made a huge mistake on that play. He was horrible all game. I expect the Ravens to go after him alot this week, and he better step up. I think he can. I hope he can.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information