Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers police locker room themselves

Bookmark and Share
    Tailgate Coordinator

Post Steelers police locker room themselves

Steelers police locker room themselves
    Friday, October 30, 2009
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Jamie Squire/Getty ImagesThe Chiefs have suspended running back Larry Johnson.

View all related imagesIt's easy to say Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson is a jerk, has been a jerk since he left Penn State and always will be a jerk. Who will argue with that? Johnson was suspended again this week for twice using a gay slur. Last season, he was benched for three games and suspended for another one after he was accused of throwing a drink on a woman and pushing another in separate incidents for which he pleaded guilty to two counts of disturbing the peace and was given two years of probation. Those were not his first problems with women.

This is a bad guy.

"It's not how he was raised," Johnson's father, Larry Sr., told the Kansas City Star this week. The elder Johnson coaches the defensive linemen at Penn State and is in his 14th season on Joe Paterno's staff.

Even worse from a team standpoint than the reprehensible slurs, the younger Johnson ridiculed Chiefs first-year coach Todd Haley this week on his Twitter account. You would think Johnson would look in the mirror and realize he has had a big part in the team's 1-6 record, rushing for averages of just 51 yards per game and 2.7 yards per carry. But, no. Johnson questioned Haley's coaching credentials. There's a good chance he won't play again for the Chiefs -- certainly not beyond this season -- despite the five-year contract extension he signed in 2007 that guarantees him $19 million and could be worth up to $45 million.

Aren't you glad the Steelers don't seem to have these kinds of problems?

Yes, they have players who occasionally make dumb decisions off the field. James Harrison, Santonio Holmes, Jeff Reed and Matt Spaeth come to mind. Unfortunately, when you have 53 young men together, there are going to be incidents from time to time. That's not to condone them. That's just a fact.

What the Steelers don't seem to ever have, though, is turmoil in their locker room. You don't hear about their players being late repeatedly for team meetings and practices, as Johnson has been. You don't read about them publicly criticizing their coach as Johnson did and as Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards did with the Cleveland Browns before they were traded. You don't hear about them disrespecting their assistant coaches as the Cincinnati Bengals' Chad Johnson or Chad Ochocinco or whatever his name was last season did when he got into it with offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski and was suspended for a game against the Steelers in November.

"I guess we're built a little different here," Steelers linebacker James Farrior said this week before heading home to Virginia for the team's off weekend. "Everybody realizes we have a good thing going here, and no one wants to ruin it. We don't want to betray the people who treat us so well and treat us like grown men."

There's no question it starts with strong ownership. The Rooneys are rock-solid, as good as anyone in sports. "The way they run this organization makes guys want to stay here," cornerback Deshea Townsend said.

It's also about a strong head coach. Mike Tomlin, just like Bill Cowher before him, clearly is the boss, and everyone on the team knows it. The Rooneys' unwavering support -- in Cowher's case, even during three consecutive non-playoff seasons -- is a big part of that.

But it's also about the players. The Steelers have had exceptionally strong leaders going back to the Joe Greene days. More recently, there was Jerome Bettis, as good as there has been in football. Now, it's Farrior. The Steelers are his team more than anyone's.

"I consider it to be a part of my job," Farrior said. "I'm one of the older guys on the team and I've been around a long time. I think the guys respect me enough that they'll listen when I say something. I know what distractions can tear a locker room apart. I'm willing to say something to keep little things from becoming big things."

It's not just Farrior. It's Aaron Smith, Hines Ward and -- more and more -- Ben Roethlisberger. "Coach Tomlin always tells us he'll take care of things if we don't take care of them first. That's why we always try to take care of 'em," said Townsend, another strong presence in the locker room.

Something Smith said last season after Johnson/Ochocinco was suspended for the game here is instructive. Asked what would happen if a player would disrespect Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau in a meeting, he said, "For one thing, that would never happen with coach LeBeau. And, if by some chance it ever did, the guy wouldn't make it out of the room in one piece. The rest of us would take care of him."

Added Farrior, "The guys in the locker room take care of the locker room."

That's a big reason the Steelers have won two of the past five Super Bowls and a record six in all. It's also a big reason they aren't the Chiefs or the Bengals or the Browns.

Thank goodness for that.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09303...#ixzz0VOKrvqIr

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Sometimes we take it for granted that you don't see this type of behavior coming out of Pittsburgh, but we are fortunate to have a team where they look out for their own. It's a testament to how the Rooney's run the team, how they draft players, how they treat their players, and how much the players value being on a team like the Steelers.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    It's just another reason the Steelers are who they are and why Steeler Nation is so faithfull. It's a fundemantal building block for any of the Steeler teams regardless of their caliber of talent. Gotta love being a Steeler fan!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Come on guys lets not act the Steelers are full of choir boys here....Just look at Skippy and his over the top behavior.....I really don't care either since they're grown adults and they don't owe me a damn thing....But the Steelers have plenty of players on this roster that have gotten is some kind of trouble.....The Steelers just do a better job in not letting it become a distraction and a circus show.....

Short story about my Steelers experience

The Steelers attitude of professionalism is why I took my 6 year old daughter to training camp this summer. If a kid is to look up to a "superstar" I would prefer that person act like a "superstar" and work with other professionals who carry themselves the same way.

We stood along the fence for 3 hours in the heat and my daughter was very patient. Other kids were beating copies of SI and other items off the fence and demanding that players sign them. As Dennis Dixon approached he noticed my little girl standing with me very patient with her mini Superbowl 43 football. Dennis stopped the crowd from yelling their demands and said "I will not sign another thing till I sign this little girl's football, she knows how to act!" Dennis then thanked her for being patient and polite and signed her ball. I thanked Dennis and wished him luck and he replied "thank you for teaching your kid to be polite."

Later Ryan Clark came along and signed some things at te fence. Ryan also took the smaller kids things first and actually told other kids to act right and stop pushing and form a line. Ryan was very patient and spoke freely with the fans.

This was the closest I had been to the Steelers since I was a kid and I left camp that afternoon happy to be a fan of a team I could be proud of and allow my daughter to look up to. She cried because she didn't get that Big Ben and Hines Ward autograph she wanted. But I reminded her that we can always go back next year.

We met several players that day but those two men stuck out because they cared enough to notice. I was always proud to be a Steelers fan but my visit to camp set that pride in stone!

Go Steelers!!

Thanks for sharing that, 75steeler! Great story.
    As with any 'group' of people the size of a football roster you are going to have some that act out like idiots. Like Black@Gold said though, the Steelers just seem to have a way to nip it in the bud most times. I respect the Rooney's for their classiness, and how that flows down through the coaches and the players.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Come on guys lets not act the Steelers are full of choir boys here....Just look at Skippy and his over the top behavior.....I really don't care either since they're grown adults and they don't owe me a damn thing....But the Steelers have plenty of players on this roster that have gotten is some kind of trouble.....The Steelers just do a better job in not letting it become a distraction and a circus show.....
    No one said they were a bunch of choir boys, just that they handle their own which you said yourself so why try to down other peoples posts? ****ed up **** like this stirring up **** is totally worthless. why can't people state their opinion without putting down other peoples opions? ****ing idiots.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Steeler View Post
    The Steelers attitude of professionalism is why I took my 6 year old daughter to training camp this summer. If a kid is to look up to a "superstar" I would prefer that person act like a "superstar" and work with other professionals who carry themselves the same way.

We stood along the fence for 3 hours in the heat and my daughter was very patient. Other kids were beating copies of SI and other items off the fence and demanding that players sign them. As Dennis Dixon approached he noticed my little girl standing with me very patient with her mini Superbowl 43 football. Dennis stopped the crowd from yelling their demands and said "I will not sign another thing till I sign this little girl's football, she knows how to act!" Dennis then thanked her for being patient and polite and signed her ball. I thanked Dennis and wished him luck and he replied "thank you for teaching your kid to be polite."

Later Ryan Clark came along and signed some things at te fence. Ryan also took the smaller kids things first and actually told other kids to act right and stop pushing and form a line. Ryan was very patient and spoke freely with the fans.

This was the closest I had been to the Steelers since I was a kid and I left camp that afternoon happy to be a fan of a team I could be proud of and allow my daughter to look up to. She cried because she didn't get that Big Ben and Hines Ward autograph she wanted. But I reminded her that we can always go back next year.

We met several players that day but those two men stuck out because they cared enough to notice. I was always proud to be a Steelers fan but my visit to camp set that pride in stone!

Go Steelers!!
    That is a great story! Makes me proud to be a fan for sure! Props to you for teaching your little girl manners, ones I've instilled in my little one as well..sure pays off in the end. Hope she definately gets Ben and Hines's autograph next year!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by ejsteeler View Post
    No one said they were a bunch of choir boys, just that they handle their own which you said yourself so why try to down other peoples posts? ****ed up **** like this stirring up **** is totally worthless. why can't people state their opinion without putting down other peoples opions? ****ing idiots.
    Who did I put down you stupid mother ****er?....**** off ...really blow it out your ***........

did I call you or Top Gun out?.....I didn't and just stated my opinion and said the Steelers don't have a roster full of choir boys and have their share of players that have broken the law or done outrageous things.......

wow if my first post was really stirring up **** then SA has become a site with alot of butt hurt sensitive members.......which ejsteeler is the king of them........you want to start with me bitch then bring it ....
    Last edited by BlacknGold Bleeder; 10-31-2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: little too much cursing for the open forum,hell LJ got 2 weeks off for less,lol

Quote Originally Posted by ejsteeler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Who did I put down you stupid mother ****er?....**** off

did I call you or Top Gun out?.....I didn't and just stated my opinion and said the Steelers don't have a roster full of choir boys and have their share of players that have broken the law or done outrageous things.......

wow if my first post was really stirring up **** then SA has become a site with alot of butt hurt sensitive members.......which ejsteeler is the king of them........you want to start with me bitch then bring it ...
    C'mon guys... nobody wants to read this kind of crap, especially in our public area of the board. You guys want to exchange vulgarities with each other do it in the Line of Scrimmage threads or a private message, otherwise take it to a board such as SteelersFever where they welcome your kind. This is a great site. Don't ruin it with this kind of trash.
    Last edited by BlacknGold Bleeder; 10-31-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: same as above

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Thread Information