Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers vs. Vikings Postgame Analysis and Grades

Bookmark and Share

Steelers vs. Vikings Postgame Analysis and Grades

QB: I knew despite the Vikes having their best corner out, Big Ben was going to have 'one of those games.' After all, Roethlisberger has a history of playing poor against 4-3s, and with the Williams duo and Jared Allen, this definitely is one of the league's best. In reality, he's lucky to have 0 in the turnover department. A couple of dumb decisions trying to throw to the ball while escaping sacks almost cost us the game. He looked clueless trying to figure out their front 4, finishing the day 14 of 26 for 175 yards and a TD. Eerily Jason Campbell-like stats.

Ben: D+

RB: Before Teemont starts crying, Mendenhall had a great 3 quarters up until his Souljah Boy tell 'em move inside at the 5-yard line. I have no idea what he was thinking. The expression on his face after the play was bizarre, almost as if he thought he was on the goal line. On a good note, he finished the day with 10 carries for 69 yards, with 3 big gains of 14, 15 and 17 yards on a stout D. In blocking, he wiffed on one that resulted in a sack but I counted two times where he picked up an unblocked defender. Definitely an upgrade over GWP.

Speaking of Parker, he was yanked after his inability to find a giant hole on a sweep with a ton of space in front of him. Actually, I'm not sure if he was even touched by a defender. It's like that yellow line on my TV screen makes him fall. The one carry Willie Parker got against Minnesota was one too many.

Moore, the Steelers best back , didn't see much of the ball until Mendenhall's boner, but still played his role ok. Ben missed a few checkdowns that would have resulted in first downs where Moore was uncovered.

Mendenhall: B-
    Moore: C+
    Parker: D-

WR: Ben's shakiness didn't help with these grades, but there were still a couple of 'splash' plays made by none other than our reigning Superbowl MVP and a RotY contender in Mike Wallace. Holmes had a TD taken away early on a bullshit call, but had a nice catch and run in man-to-man coverage, making 5 defenders miss, for 45 years that almost put us in the endzone (see RB). Ward was pretty much nonexistent, held to 1 carry for 3 yards and dropping a couple of passes after getting hit. Wallace is developing as one of Ben's go-to guys. He held on to a low-thrown pass on a 3rd and long in which Childress challenged, but speedy Mike was able to get both hands under the ball. Also, his ability to find the soft spot in the Vikes zone allowed him to punch in a much-needed score just before the half.

Ward: D-
    Holmes: B-
    Wallace: A
    McDonald: N/A
    Limas Pee'd: F (didn't dress, but not getting him any benefit of the doubt)

TE: Miller was the only thing consistently keeping our drives alive. By this I mean keeping them alive all the way to third down. No, he wasn't getting big chunks, but at least he was moving forward. Johnson had a lone catch and was solid in run blocking. I didn't see Spaeth on the field.

Miller: B
    Spaeth: ?
    Johnson: B

OL: Ben was pressured quite frequently in the game, and had lots of batted down balls. Kemo did well pulling for Mendenhall. Overall a 'meh' game for the group.

OL: C-

DL: The front 3 did a great job containing Peterson's running game. For the first time in his career, AP was held to negative yards in the first quarter. That's a big testament considering our best lineman is out for the season. Kirshke is spelling him just perfectly. After Rice got behind our zone and ran just short of the end zone, our front 7 came up with a crucial goal-line stand inside the 2. Our first turnover in the game was also caused by an incredible individual effort by defensive end Brett Keisel to slap the ball out of Favre’s hands, and then a better team effort by our entire unit to walk Woodley 77 yards into the endzone. Big Snack had 3 neutral zone infractions in the first half, which is pretty bad for a nose guard, but still, no big complaints from these guys.

Snack: B-
    Keisel: A
    Kirshke: B+
    Eason: A

LBers: This was the best I've seen them as a cohesive unit this season. With our D on their last leg with Kirshke and Timmons hurt, they still found a way to win the game for the offense. Farrior had his best game to date, putting up with 9 solo tackles and a sack. He also broke up a sure first-down pass on a 3rd and long early on. Woodley had his season average of two tackles, but was consistently getting pressure on Favre. Minnesota apparently forgot he was on our team and came in unblocked on 3 separate plays. Timmons had a scary moment in the 4th quarter, but Fox didn't miss a beat spelling him. It actually seemed like the D played a little better with him in the game. LeBeau should definitely consider him getting more reps in the starting unit. His 82-yard interception return ensured no late-game Favre magic would happen. Harrison, as usual, was a beast all over the field and ended the game on with second sack of the night.

Farrior: A+
    Timmons: B
    Fox: A
    Harrison: A
    Woodley: B+

CBs: Not the best day for our corners. They were a complete liability on the field. After 4 straight punts, Favre got a little clue that Gay is not starting material. On their first scoring drive, Gay's soft cushion allowed Favre to target him with quick screens. To add insult to injury, gets completely run over by Peterson late in the 4th. One a good note, he did break up a deep pass, even though it should have been an INT. Ike contained Sidney well when he was assigned to him, and then proceeded not to care in the 2nd half.

Ike: C
    Gay: D+
    Townsend: B

S: Troy looked good early on. Broke up a nicely placed ball by Favre on their first drive and could have probably picked off a pass 2 drives later had he been 100 percent. Polamalu couldn't stick one of his signature missile tackles covering Percy Harvin in the second half on a 3rd and 6 that resulted in a big gain and also allowed Rice to get behind him in empty space later in the game, but ended up intelligently tackling him just before he went in which later resulted in the goal line stand. Clark took Harvin out of the game momentarily with a monster hit that broke up a potential big play.

Troy: B
    Clark: B-

STs: Hooker Reed came up with one of the most bitch plays I've ever seen, completely giving up on a tackle on a kickoff that put the game within 3. I hope he heard it from Tomlin after the play. After watching a handful of games where the kicker was able to boot it into the endzone, I say Tomlin gives Sepulveda a chance on kickoffs.

Coverage, like last week, was dreadful. Returns seem to always happen after a Steeler score as well. Remember in the 2007 wildcard game when MJ-D scored right after Ben marched down the field?

Reed: C
    Coverage Units: D

OC: The good ol' Bruce is back. His playcalling today brought back memories of the nightmare I had to experience every week of the regular season last year. You know, where LeBeau had to bail out this bonehead. Every time Mendenhall would get a nice chunk of yardage and a first down, common sense would say feed him the ball. But no, on every resulting play afterwards, we went empty backfield or lone back w/ 4 WRs lined up to pass. Not even one time did we challenge their pathetic and depleted secondary. NOT ONCE. Bruce, you sir, are a loser.

Arians: F

DC: This was definitely the best game so far this season for our D. This game was very similar to the first time we played Baltimore last season on MNF.

LeBeau: A

HC: It probably just would've been easier to just let Reed kick it out of bounds. I'm guessing he didn't stress enough ball security either.

Tomlin: C+
    Last edited by DanRooney; 10-26-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Reppin' 724
    giving Ben a D- just shows how little you know football.

and go re-read the game thread....you're the one who was calling for Moore when Mendy fumbled.

Quote Originally Posted by No l Gravity l View Post
    I'll bring back the same question I brought up earlier this season. Is Mewelde Moore the Steelers best back?
    You're grading system is like your nicknames...lame and misguided. If there was a way for me to physically poop on this thread I would.
    Last edited by TEEMONT; 10-26-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Rookie Free Agent H3INZFI3LDST33L's Avatar
    I give Ben an A- due to the fact that #7 bailed out (with LeBeau's help) Bruce Arians. Ben is GREAT calling plays and audibles and should have more freedom to do so. Arians is pass happy and needs to let Mendenhall get in a rhythm at times. Running the ball 3 or 4 times to the midfield sets up a huge play action pass to Wallace. BA gets a F-.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post

and go re-read the game thread....you're the one who was calling for Moore when Mendy fumbled.

You're grading system is like your nicknames...lame and misguided. If there was a way for me to physically poop on this thread I would.
    Yeah you're right. Ben played absolutely fantastic. One of the best games of the season.

Ben nearly threw 3 picks in that game and had the ball stripped from him trying to elude a defender that was luckily knocked out of bounds.

Here's StillMill, probably one of the smartest Steeler minds from another board I won't mention

"QB: Ben had a very mediocre day. Numerous passes were scattershot or indecisive. 14 for 26 doesn’t cut the mustard. His failure to scramble, with Moore available to block and plenty of green grass, on the 3d & 2 scramble late in the 3Q was inexcusable. He followed that decision with a poor, low pass to Tonio that fell incomplete. He also had a foolish, careless fumble late in the 4Q that luckily rolled OOB."

Know nothing about football? You have the audacity to say that after defending Willie Parker for the last year and a half Just look at your sig. ****ing embarrassing. I am probably the biggest Ben supporter and have been even through 2006 when he stunk. I still call him the best QB in the league, over Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. This was not one of his 'better' games, hence the grade.

--- Added 10/27/2009 at 12:05 AM ---

First of all, I gave him a D+ not a D-. And what did Tomlin do after I called for Mendy to get benched for Moore? Oh that's right, Tomlin benched Mendenhall in favor of Moore I guess you think our HC doesn't know much about football.
    Last edited by DanRooney; 10-27-2009 at 02:16 AM.

i really hope you dont think moore is the best runner on our team...most complete back but mendenhall is a great runner, a good receiver and an ok blocker. thinking moore is the best on our team is like thinking faulk is the best on the patriots, or taylor is the best on minnesota....they are role players and they do it well

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i really hope you dont think moore is the best runner on our team...most complete back but mendenhall is a great runner, a good receiver and an ok blocker. thinking moore is the best on our team is like thinking faulk is the best on the patriots, or taylor is the best on minnesota....they are role players and they do it well
    Mendenhall is the best pure runner on the team. He's a lot faster and stronger than Moore. I called for him to get pulled for the rest of the game because it was a critical situation in the 4th quarter and he's a rookie.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by No l Gravity l View Post
    Yeah you're right. Ben played absolutely fantastic. One of the best games of the season.

Ben nearly threw 3 picks in that game and had the ball stripped from him trying to elude a defender that was luckily knocked out of bounds.

Here's StillMill, probably one of the smartest Steeler minds from another board I won't mention

"QB: Ben had a very mediocre day. Numerous passes were scattershot or indecisive. 14 for 26 doesn’t cut the mustard. His failure to scramble, with Moore available to block and plenty of green grass, on the 3d & 2 scramble late in the 3Q was inexcusable. He followed that decision with a poor, low pass to Tonio that fell incomplete. He also had a foolish, careless fumble late in the 4Q that luckily rolled OOB."

Know nothing about football? You have the audacity to say that after defending Willie Parker for the last year and a half Just look at your sig. ****ing embarrassing. I am probably the biggest Ben supporter and have been even through 2006 when he stunk. I still call him the best QB in the league, over Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. This was not one of his 'better' games, hence the grade.

--- Added 10/27/2009 at 12:05 AM ---

First of all, I gave him a D+ not a D-. And what did Tomlin do after I called for Mendy to get benched for Moore? Oh that's right, Tomlin benched Mendenhall in favor of Moore I guess you think our HC doesn't know much about football.
    So nearly throwing picks merits a D rating? a fumble merits a D rating when he had a 6.9 ypc and was picking up blitzes on his passsing downs? You never called for mendy to be benched...you just questioned whether moore was the best back on the team, which is just an easy way out, since then you could claim your genius no matter which way Tomlin went.

Willie is still a good runner....Mendy fell down yesterday and no one jumped all over him, the double standards here are hilarious. Do I think Willie should be the starter? Not anymore I dont, Mendy finally stepped up and proved me wrong. I dont think he's a 6 ypc all year though, he will have the same issues willie had when we play better D's.

In no way was a D on Sunday though....same with Ben. They didnt have A games, but one mistake doesn't warrant a D rating.

Dang.. I thought No Grav was actually watching a different game.

Ben didn't play "A" ball. But he sure didn't play "D-" ball either. He made some GREAT decisions in where NOT to throw the ball. He recognized zones and threw underneath when he could . . . but there was some very good coverage, which means.

The O line did VERY well against possibly the best 4-3 line in the game today. A number of those sacks were COVERAGE sacks, Ben extending the play to make things happen. Can't blame the line for that and I WONT blame Ben, as that very element of his game is what has won us MANY games.

Ben was above average yesterday. B. He made good throws, recognized zones, etc.

The line gets a B+. Take away the coverage sacks which are on Ben/WR's, they did a good job, and opened up some nice running holes as well.

and I CAN'T BELIEVE I am about to say this.. But Max Starks gets a A+ for his game yesterday. That just doesn't look right in print. BUt gotta give credit where it is due.

Guess I didn't see the same Ben you three did.

I actually didn't see anything on offense. Maybe a D+ was harsh, but I would not give him anything above a C. I reserve B and A grades for great offensive games. Like last week, I gave him an A for throwing 400 yards, not 175 and three near picks plus a careless fumble. Maybe I was missing something but I didn't see the pass offense do anything outside that hurry up TD at the very end of the first half. Mendenhall was carrying the drives but he didn't get as many touches as he should have...

Thread Information