Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After the Browns game things are going to get much tougher for the Steelers...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    panthers-hater

After the Browns game things are going to get much tougher for the Steelers...

Now we all know the Steelers should and better be able to take care of the Browns next Sunday here at Heinz Field without much a problem and push their record to 4-2. What concerns and worries me is the 3 games in a row after the Browns game against the Vikings,at Denver,and here against the Bengals. Those 3 teams have a combined record of 14-1 through the first 5 weeks of the season with the Vikings and the Broncos yet to lose a game. All 3 of these teams as well are finding ways to win close games late in the 4th quarter in particular the Broncos and Bengals. The Vikings have Brett Favre who is always dangerous and is capable of coming back in the 4th quarter of any close game anytime you play him.

My point being here is whatever is wrong with this Steelers defense and their clearly is something wrong with it whether it's Troy being out or whatever they had better fix this problem and fix it fast. Today while the defense did get 3 sacks on the last series they still allowed way too many 3rd down and long conversions and let the Lions team without their best receiver in Calvin Johnson hang around until the last minute of the 4th quarter. This has now happened 4 weeks in a row where closing the door on a decent 4th quarter lead just continues to be a glaring glaring problem for this defense. The Steelers may have been able to escape it today against an inept Lions team but if they continue to keep pushing their luck doing this in that stretch of games with the Vikes,Broncos,and Bengals they are going to find themselves on the short end of the stick in probably 2 of them and maybe all 3. It's not far fetched all the way this defense continues to implode in the 4th quarter to suggest that at all. The Steelers need Troy to come back for that Vikings game and be ready to go for that key 3 game stretch. He is almost a MUST have for the defense in each of those games. Because it's pretty clear right now that the secondary and Tyrone Carter absolutely stink and cant stop anything underneath or short and continue to give up big plays on 3rd and long. Im pretty sure Tomlin knows he will need Troy back for that stretch so I have no doubt in my mind that he will sit Troy one more week against the Browns so that he is back and ready to go for the Vikings game and beyond. Nonetheless, as I mentioned the Steelers had better fix these 4th quarter meltdowns and fix them fast after this Browns game because if you do it against the likes of the Vikings,Broncos,and Bengals the way those teams have been playing and finding ways to win games late like they have done so far this season youre luck is going to run out and youre going to come out on the losing end.

My Mood
    Addicted
    i think once troy is back, so is our D's swagger..they haven't been the same w/ carter in there, and a lot of plays wouldn't have happened, had he been in...he brings a whole new atmosphere to the team when he's in...carter hasn't impressed me much in troys absence, and it will be a breath of fresh air when he comes back...i just hope he's 100% by the time the vikes game comes around

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Those 3 games can make or break our season; if we don't win atleast 2 of those games we're going to be in serious trouble come December. Our only saving grace is that the AFCN is probably going to beat each other up during the year so if everybody stays within a game of each other come later in the year we'll have as good a chance as any. If we lose to say Denver & Minnesota, and beat Cincy then we'll have proven that we can't beat any real contenders at this point and that won't bode too well for our confidence.

It's imperative that we step up to the plate now and take control of the season before it spirals out of control because it doesn't get any easier after the Clowns game.

I think our offense is playing alright, even though I don't agree with Arians being pass happy in the second half and got away from Rashard, Our D is going to be okay they just have to figure some things out and Troy coming back will help our D dramatically

Warren, OH. It's about a hour & 45 minutes NW from the Burgh.
    The way the Steelers D played against Detroit wil not be good enough to beat a team like the Vikings. The Steelers are playing second tier ball right now without Troy, his return will be huge both psychologically and physically. Maybe the negative of them not being able to get off the field on 3rd downs and the 4th quarter collapses will flip to a positive in keeping the Steelers grounded and motivated.

This past win sure had a bad taste but I have faith that the Steelers will be ready for that three game stretch after the Browns game. It would be nice to see them demolish the Browns for a tune up because like I posted in another thread: good teams beat inferior teams, great teams annihilate them.

Steelers played to the level of the Lions! Point simple!

But keep in mind, we are the defending SB champs, everyone will play us that much tougher!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Love
    We just have to keep stepping up our game and keep playing smart football. No more of this 4th quarter comeback heroics. Although it makes for a very exciting game. We just need to take it to every team like never before and don't look back, then we'll be in the big game before we know it. BenRoethlisbergerSaysHi!!!!
    Last edited by Scorp; 10-12-2009 at 12:00 PM.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Steelers played to the level of the Lions! Point simple!

But keep in mind, we are the defending SB champs, everyone will play us that much tougher!
    Agreed, and I think Troy is key for the Minnesota game, because of his pass defense as much as the run. Troy can be the eighth man in the box to start and the recover quickly if its a pass and can start back in the pass and meet the runner at the line of scrimmage for a stop. We need a healthy Troy for the Vikings. The Steelers have had trouble dominating teams that should be easy wins for several years now. Its like we mentally dont prepare like we should and allow the other teams to stay close. It drives me nuts.

Well I wouldn't look over the Browns just let. The last 2 seasons the Browns had very good chances to win one of the games. Thats a fact.

2007- Browns had a good lead in pittsburgh going into the half. Then Ben was very cltuch and with the help of a clear hold he ran in for a TD and ended up winning the game.

2008- Second game of the season, Ewards drops the game winner. All he had to do was catch the ball, fall backwards and the Browns win. But nope. I hate that guy.

So I don't think the Browns will win next week, But Any given sunday. The game back in cleveland will be the Browns best chance to win.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Well I wouldn't look over the Browns just let. The last 2 seasons the Browns had very good chances to win one of the games. Thats a fact.

2007- Browns had a good lead in pittsburgh going into the half. Then Ben was very cltuch and with the help of a clear hold he ran in for a TD and ended up winning the game.

2008- Second game of the season, Ewards drops the game winner. All he had to do was catch the ball, fall backwards and the Browns win. But nope. I hate that guy.

So I don't think the Browns will win next week, But Any given sunday. The game back in cleveland will be the Browns best chance to win.
    Don't take this wrong me Dawgs...You're right the Browns have had some very close games with the Steelers the past couple years.....But I don't think the Browns don't have a chance at all in this game...You're offense really hasn't shown any life outside of the Bengals game this year....I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers shut the Browns out......

Thread Information