Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the Steelers: Wallace the next receiving star?

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

On the Steelers: Wallace the next receiving star?

Lost in the Steelers' loss in Cincinnati, in the dropped touchdown by Limas Sweed, in the pick-six wrong route taken by Santonio Holmes, in the defense blowing another fourth-quarter lead, there appeared a gem.

Rookie Mike Wallace caught seven passes for 102 yards in his third NFL game.

A little perspective on that: It took Hall of Famer John Stallworth until his seventh NFL game to reach 100, Hall of Famer Lynn Swann and Plaxico Burress their second seasons, and Troy Edwards not at all with the Steelers. Hines Ward did not get his first 100-yard game until his fourth season.

The only one faster? Louis Lipps with 183 yards on six receptions in his very first game as a pro.

Could Wallace become the next receiving star for the Steelers?

"He has all the potential and makings to be great," declared Ward.

Wallace has the size, speed and apparently the doggedness to do so. Ward once said he had to remind Burress often to hit his playbook. He does not have that problem with Wallace.

"He's a great student of the game," Ward said. "It's rare you have to tell him something over and over. He's one of the first ones here. He wants to learn. When you see a talent such as his, I want to make sure I go out and enhance that and he becomes better. Then when I'm long gone and I'm watching him on TV making plays, I'll know I had an impact on his career."

Wallace, a third-round draft choice from Mississippi, has 12 receptions for 147 yards after his big day in Cincinnati. It might have been bigger had he not stepped out of bounds at the 10 after catching a 51-yard pass in the open to start the second quarter.

"I focused on the ball so much I wasn't paying attention to where my momentum was taking me," Wallace said. "I didn't know I was that close to the sideline."

But, and listen up, Sweed ...

"You can't go anywhere without the ball. The main thing is catching it. Hopefully the next time I can catch it and stay in bounds for the touchdown."

Wallace was first placed at the flanker spot, where Ward plays. Then he learned split end, where Holmes plays.

No rookie ever reached 1,000 yards receiving with the Steelers and that would be a stretch for Wallace as their No. 3 man. But he has the ability to get yards in big chunks. In Chicago, he streaked open deep and would have had a 62-yard touchdown had Ben Roethlisberger not been hit as he threw, resulting in an interception instead.

The quarterback is aware he must release the ball quickly when he's throwing it to the speedy Wallace.

"You don't want to underthrow him, so you've got to get it out and let him run under it," Roethlisberger said. "If you overthrow him, it's a rarity but it's better than underthrowing him."

His coaches want to see how Wallace responds against San Diego, and they're looking for a better outcome than Rashard Mendenhall's last week.

"That was a breakout game for him," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It's kinda like Rashard: What do you do with success? Can you maintain it? He's had a good week of practice. I think his confidence level is up.

"He'll start seeing a little different coverage," Arians said of the San Diego Chargers. "These guys are solid corners; they're really going to test us."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09275...#ixzz0SmfrFxOz
    To bad Sweed doesn't look as good as Wallace,But then again, how much of Wallace would we have seen if he was.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Great read thanks.

I think the whole team has taken this kid in, even Ben. I saw Ben and Wallace talking on the sideline Sunday seemed as though Ben was explaining a route, to me he could be the next great thing, but lets stay grounded a bit with him!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Sweed still has all the tools to be a very good WR in this league. Yeah he's disappointed with the drops, but if he fixes that were looking at an amazing group of WR's. Just imagine a 4 WR set with those guys in the game and Heath at TE. Very hard to cover.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by igor0190 View Post
    Just imagine a 4 WR set with those guys in the game and Heath at TE. Very hard to cover.
    I was telling myself these exact words......

We would be damn near unstoppable with the passing game. Teams wouldn't know what to expect.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    I was telling myself these exact words......

We would be damn near unstoppable with the passing game. Teams wouldn't know what to expect.
    Oh the possibilities!

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Most of the "BIG" drops have been 20 plus yard throws from Ben. I think they should start him out with some quick short tosses to get his confidence up early in a game and then see what happens from there. In any sport when things get rough they always say to jsut make it "simple" and a few simple passes could def help Sweeds head out.

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Great read thanks.

I think the whole team has taken this kid in, even Ben. I saw Ben and Wallace talking on the sideline Sunday seemed as though Ben was explaining a route, to me he could be the next great thing, but lets stay grounded a bit with him!
    chemistry means a lot. ben has faith in wallace. if santonio wipes the mayonnaise off his gloves this weekend, our receivers could do some damage.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Wallace has the ability to be as good if not better for us than Nate Washington was for us. He needs guys like Ben and Hines to help show him the ropes and he will be fine. Sweed and Santonio just need to hang onto the ball and things will come together nicely for us.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I was happy to see that he was fast with good size...
    But I didn't realize how good he was untill the cinn game
    He could be really GOOD!!!
    He might bump Hines to the slot receiver permanently if he continues to progress

I think they should do a fake reverse to him and take off down the sideline and Ben throw the bomb to him!!
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

Quote Originally Posted by 75Steeler View Post
    Wallace has the ability to be as good if not better for us than Nate Washington was for us. He needs guys like Ben and Hines to help show him the ropes and he will be fine. Sweed and Santonio just need to hang onto the ball and things will come together nicely for us.

Well, to put this in perspective... Nate NEVER had a 100 yard game as a steeler and only one game even in the 90's (10/05/08 @JAC 94 yards on 6 recs for 1 TD) Wallace is a VERY polished WR in his route running and ability to get separation. Plus he learned quickly, when Bens scrambling, to break off of his route and find holes in the zone! AND HE CATCHES THE BALL!!!

Just think, we really havent even capitalized on his all out speed yet! This kid is gonna be a weapon for years to come!

Thread Information