Thread: Latest concussion might not sideline Steelers' Polamalu

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Latest concussion might not sideline Steelers' Polamalu

I hope he can play and play well. Our secondary is in shambles right now with the injuries. Anyone heard anything about Townsend?

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu may play at Cleveland on Sunday despite sustaining at least the sixth concussion of his football career.
    Polamalu is listed as questionable, meaning there's a 50-50 chance he'll play only a week after being so disoriented during Pittsburgh's 38-31 victory Sunday he almost tumbled off the Steelers' bench while sitting by himself.
    "He'll do some testing again tomorrow. He feels better," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said Tuesday. "This will be to see if he stays asymptomatic. Once again, this is a situation where he'll have to get clearance from the doctors before any decision is made about his availability."
    Polamalu sustained the concussion after tackling Reggie Bush on Sunday. He had at least three at Southern Cal -- each during practices or scrimmages -- and two in high school, partly because of what friends and coaches said was a reckless tackling style in which he launched himself at players headfirst.
    http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9803020

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    I've not heard anything yet about Townsend.

I have to say I think Troy should sit. He's one of our most valuable players--and hopefully will be for many years to come.

To play him before he's healed isn't really in the team's best interest. We played Big Ben too early, and we all know how well "that" turned out...

If our guys are playin even half way decent, we should be able to win this one--even without Troy

We're probably not gonna be in the playoffs anyway, but if (on the off chance) we are, I'd prefer that Troy be totally healthy cause we'll need him more then, than for the Cleveland game.

Having said all that, I know he'll play anyway. I just wanted to say that I don't agree with him playing now anymore than I agreed with Ben playing too soon after his surgery and concussion.

I saw Troy sittin on the bench, and he didn't look right. I'm a mom, and I can't help my motherly instincts...mine are sayin it would be too soon for his own good.
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 11-15-2006 at 02:06 AM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    You make some good points. It will come down to what the doctors say about it this week. Troy is in a worse spot than Ben was being that he is doing the hitting. Still, if he plays smart and doesn't tackle with his head he can make some plays for us. I want him to be healthy but at the same time I think he can play (if the doctors ok it) better than what we have to replace him even if he is a little shy at tackling.

And congrats on your 3rd anniversary SW! Me and my wife had our 10th this past June.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Thanks! Don't know how I did it, but that time clock says it'll be at like 4 in the mornin--we were married at 4 PM, so apparently I did SOMEthin wrong lol My hubby's takin me out for supper tonight, but we're gonna have to wait for the weekend to do anything else. Bowling and a movie maybe...

I dunno SF, I just don't trust those football doctors. All doctors not working for the NFL would say "NO WAY" to him. Even boxers have a mandatory two months to heal after one, so it sounds to me more like a worker's comp doctor tryin to get them back to "work" before they're really ready so as to not waste company money...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well the doctors we have are some of the best when it comes to this so I put a little faith in them. I don't want to see any player come back to early from any injury just to get hurt again. I would rather have him sit this game if there was any chance of that.

I haven't seen the hit that knocked Troy out of the game, so I have no idea how serious it really is. Knowing Troy though he is a warrior and if he played several weeks with one arm you can bet that he won't let a little headache stop him this week... especially against the Browns!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Dr Bradley and company are definately some of the best in the business. If I remember right he served on the NFL board of doctors or something.

Anywho, I sure hope he can play. We're gonna need him. Troy is the type of player that is at his best when he's flying around with wreckless abandon. That's his style and what he does best.

Heal up soon Troy !

Polamalu practices, awaits OK to play

UPDATE.....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06320/738794-66.stm
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Safety Troy Polamalu returned to the ring that was the Steelers' indoor practice field yesterday and compared himself to a boxer.

"Whenever boxers or ultimate fighters come back from getting knocked out, they have a 50-fight career, you know? So it's really no big deal."

Polamalu practiced with his teammates yesterday and said he felt fine and ready to return to the lineup Sunday in Cleveland after he left the victory against New Orleans early with what he said was his fifth concussion since high school.

Doctors, he said, cleared him to play, and he is ready to do that as soon as coach Bill Cowher gives him the OK.

"I feel good, good enough to go ... I can play today. The decision's not up to me, though. I passed all the tests and did everything I could do. I feel as good or better than I did with my three-quarter bye week that I had."

Polamalu played through a shoulder injury that occurred in the season's first game and affected him through the fourth game, a week after the Steelers' Oct. 1 open date.

He came to the Steelers as their first-round draft choice in 2003 with a history of concussions -- one, he said, in high school and three at Southern California. The Steelers gave him a neurological exam before they drafted him. He has worn a Revolution helmet, designed to further protect a player's head, since he has been in the pros.

Polamalu, as he did during interviews while at Southern California, made light of his concussions, waving them away as "no big deal" and saying he does not worry about future effects.

"I haven't had that many. There's a lot of players who go through long careers having more, so it's not a big deal."

He said he was joking when he told a reporter in 2002 that wearing his long hair outside of his helmet does not provide the kind of cushion for his head that he had when he wore it up.

Polamalu has made the Pro Bowl each of his past two seasons as the team's starting strong safety. He brings a unique style of play to the position, one in which he lines up just about anywhere on the field and can wind up on the other half of the field at the snap of the ball.

"No doubt, he's a special talent," said Tyrone Carter, who replaced Polamalu in the first quarter against the Saints. "You can't duplicate him, I can't try to play like him, I can't try to be like him.

"Troy's one of a kind, man. I just feel fortunate enough to be on the team with him and learn from him, too. Losing him would be big."

What does he mean to the Steelers' defense?

"Everything," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "Probably more than everything. Is there a word that's more than everything? That's what Troy means.

"He completely controls the secondary, and a lot of our schemes and things are based off him. He means everything. Troy's just really a special player, and he has a way of getting sideline to sideline faster than anyone I've ever seen and can cover more ground than anyone I've ever seen."

His three interceptions lead the Steelers and his five tackles for losses tie him for the team lead.

The Steelers drafted him to counteract teams in their division who had good receiving tight ends, such as Todd Heap in Baltimore. The Cleveland Browns drafted Kellen Winslow in 2004. Strong safeties often cover tight ends more than any other defender.

Because of injuries, this will be the first time Winslow will play against Polamalu and the Steelers. He leads the Browns with 56 receptions, third in the NFL and first among tight ends.

"He's an excellent tight end, probably the most athletic in the NFL," Polamalu said. "We're going to have our hands full with him -- if I play."
    Troy appears to be fine and ready to go this weekend... A banged up Troy on the field is better than no Troy at all if you ask me!!

Thread Information