Thread: Disturbing similarities from the 2006 Super Bowl season to this season...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    panthers-hater

Disturbing similarities from the 2006 Super Bowl season to this season...

I heard this today and actually knew about it as well when going back in time and looking at the 2006 Super Bowl team in comparison to this team. The Steelers started out the 2006 and 2009 season winning their openers at Heinz Field in two very tight close games to start 1-0. However, both teams have now started 1-2 and in the 2006 Steelers case they started out 1-3. This stat here Im about to tell you is what will make some of you worry. The Steelers 2nd loss of that season was to the Bengals here at Heinz Field and their 3rd loss of that season to put them at 1-3 was to the San Diego Chargers in San Diego. Well this season so far the Steelers 2nd loss was to the Bengals only this time it was in Cincy, and their potential 3rd loss much like the 06 season after that Super Bowl win could end up being to the Chargers at Heinz Field as opposed to San Diego where they lost in 2006.

Just something to keep in mind. Maybe it's just a strange strange coincidence however sometimes these weird little stats make you wonder if things are meant to be that way. Hopefully in this case it wont turn out the way it did in 2006. It's just something to keep in mind going into the San Diego game this Sunday. The odds of this happening again this way again coming off another Super Bowl season here in 2009 were very remote and slim to none where the Steelers would lose to the exact same teams they did to start 1-3 in 2006 their other Super Bowl season. Im not going to lie it's stat and a footnote that has be a little concerned going into the Chargers game this Sunday...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was thinking about this actually after this past week's game, I didn't realize the similarities between the teams we played then starting out the season and the teams we are playing now though. What I've seen is the lack of fire in this team on the defense, the offense just not having the horses to get it done, the game plan being questionable at best.

Now I did see that fire in the first half of the game in week 1 but since then, personally that crazy, wild, unbridled intensity on defense just hasn't surfaced. The gameplan in itself as far as run/pass mix isn't all that bad but the execution obviously is. The personnel decisions of course also are questionable; between Parker & Mendenhall, or Sweed/McDonald/Wallace....well.....

Winning cures all the cracks we may have in all 3 phases! Until then we are all gonna see the flaws...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think this team desperately needs a win, not just from a record perspective to stay competitive in the division but also just to help them get back on track and feel what it's like to win again. Losing 2 in a row isnt the worst in the world but it's not something we've done either since like 2007 if I remember right.

If this team needed a wakeup call, this better be it.

Funny this writer was thinking about this too:

Union-Tribune
    September 29, 2009

CHARGERS' NEXT OPPONENT
    Pittsburgh Steelers (1-2)

5:20 p.m. Sunday at Heinz Field

It's beginning to look a lot like 2006 for the Steelers, who “defended” their Super Bowl championship that season by starting 1-3, finishing 8-8 and missing the playoffs. Pittsburgh has lost its last two games, at Chicago and at Cincinnati, after leading both games with less than 10 minutes to play. And while the Steelers played without All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu in both games (and will again Sunday), they did have him in their opener and still won arguably by the flip of a coin at the start of overtime.
    Pittsburgh's downfall has been the fourth quarter, where it's been outscored 24-0 the past two weeks, although it didn't help that Limas Sweed dropped a TD pass Sunday (which likely will buy him a place on the inactive list this week). The Steelers haven't run the ball well, averaging just 3.3 yards per carry, and Ben Roethlisberger has thrown four interceptions. The defense, which had 29 takeaways last season, has not forced even one the last two weeks, and Pittsburgh has just five sacks this season after getting 51 last year.
    – Jay Posner
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...gers/?chargers

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Another Big Difference was Ben's crash, sports hernia, concussion
    He really wasn't healthy and in a good mind frame (post concussion affects) until midway thru the season.
    He's healthy, Defense is not getting TO or sacks, offense is not playing well for 4 quarters!!!
    I think it's too much ben and not enough trying to run the ball....
    IMO
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

In my opinion Ben has not missed a beat and may even be better than he was last year. Troy was looking great before getting hurt in game 1 and Hines plays like it is his 3rd year in the NFL not his 12th. It is the rookies and a couple of the guys who only have a year or two in the league that are causing the problems. I think they will get the problems worked out. I just hope it isn't mid season before they do.

Thread Information