Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers are 1-2 but still have a lot of very winnable games left on the schedule

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

The Steelers are 1-2 but still have a lot of very winnable games left on the schedule

Now I know some people on this board and all over Steelers Nation are in complete panic mode, and while there should be a lot of concern about what has happened the last 2 weeks, people still need to look at the whole body of work the rest of the season and realize it's only September and 3 games in. Now Im with everybody on this board that this Steelers team especially the defense needs to start learning how to close games out something they were doing last season and arent doing now. Whether missing Troy is that signifgant to getting that done who knows?? But either way they need to stop trying to win games with last second heroics like last season and put teams away early in the games like they have failed to do two weeks in a row at Chicago and at Cincy.

The silver lining in this whole 1-2 start is that I still believe that the Steelers schedule for the remainder of the season will help them turn this thing around and allow them to get back to their winning ways. They still have games remaining with the Lions,Chiefs,Raiders,Miami who just lost Pennington for the whole season and who is 0-3,the Denver Broncos who are 3-0 but havent played anybody yet and overrated I think, and two games with the Cleveland Browns who are probably the worst team in the NFL. Plus, they have another game left with the Bengals here at Heinz Field which if the Steelers play on offense the way they did yesterday and finally solve this problem of closing out games should be able to take care of them the second time around. There is no way I see the Bengals sweeping the Steelers. They have I believe 5 tough tough games remaining and they are with the Vikings,Packers,two with the Ravens and this Sunday against the Chargers. The good news is 4 of those 5 games will be played at Heinz Field. I think a win this week against a pretty good Chargers team will go a long and I mean a long way to getting this ship turned in the right direction. You got the Lions and Browns up the next 2 weeks after the Chargers game and I dont care what anybody says about any given week in the NFL the Steelers MUST win both of those games with Detroit and Cleveland no ifs,ands,or buts about it. I believe they will be able to do so.

The key will be finding a way to beat a very potent San Diego Chargers team here at home Sunday night. It wont be easy especially without Troy again. But Im going to take the Steelers to win this game in another close one. I dont see them dropping 3 in a row, and I think playing on primetime and being back at home and having the crowd back on their side will help them in this game especially on defense. Getting back to 2-2 with the Lions and Browns up next should allow the Steelers to get to 4-2 going into the Vikings game here at the end of the month. Baltimore and Cincy both still have a lot of tough games left as well and play each other in a few weeks so both of them will have their losses as well here soon. The Ravens have 3 tough games in a row coming up at New England,hosting Cincy,and at Minnesota. None of those will be cakewalks for the Ravens. The schedule definitely favors the Steelers looking at that the next 3 weeks. Four of the Steelers next six games are at home and they only have to go on the road one time between now and November 9th when they go to Denver and that is to Detroit in 2 weeks which is barely going to be a road game.

I had written on here before the season started that these first four games with the Titans,Bears,Bengals,and Chargers were not gimmies and probably the toughest stretch of the season for the Steelers which has proven so far to be right on the money. Anybody who thought the Bears and Bengals games were going to be just show up and win games were kidding themselves. So people just need to calm down take a deep breath and look at the rest of the schedule for the Steelers and who they play,along with Troy returning in a few weeks and realize that it's not all doom and gloom and that there is a lot of reason to still be optimistic that this can and will get turned around.

Last year the Steelers had the toughest schedule in the NFL, and they ended up hoisting the Lombardi. This year, they have one of the weakest schedules in football, and their 1-2. Granted it is very early, but our division rival, and toughest competition, the Ravens, have shown that although their defensive is of championship caliber, they have an offense which is more than capable of putting up points. So far, we don't have an offense capable of capitalizing, let alone finishing off teams. We have a defense that plays for one half, and doesn't show up for the other.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how Troy's absence is the reason why we are losing. Polamalu is a quintessential piece to this defense, but right now, he's just a spectator. I'm sick of the assumptions that "if we had Troy", or if "Troy was playing". He's not, and there is absolutely nothing we, or Troy can do about it.

These early games have set a lazy tempo, and a weak demeanor. I've watched in astonishment as the Bengals drove down the field and kicked our asses. I looked in horror as the Bears kicked a 43 yard field goal to FINISH us off. Two games, and two teams that we should not have lost to, but did. We shouldn't lose to the Lions, the Broncos, the Browns, the Cheifs, the bla bla bla bla. I maybe the only one, but I am fed up with that saying. So far, all we've done is show that we should lose to these teams. It looks like the Steelers have taken this same motto, "we shouldn't lose to _____", and have lived by it. They need to be thinking, "we can't, and won't lose because we are the best motha f*ckin' team in the G*d D*MN NFL"!

There is time, and there are plenty of games, but it starts next week. A loss to the Chargers would drive a stake through our chances of repeating. A win to the Chargers would be an outstanding launching pad, we'll just see what happens.

I like the positivity you have, obviously, I am not so optimistic..

You have to get to the playoffs and be playing good football at the end of the season. Playing good now is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by igor0190 View Post
    You have to get to the playoffs and be playing good football at the end of the season. Playing good now is overrated.
    I very respectfully disagree. It may not be as important as how you finish, but hey, in '06 the Steelers we're 2-6 in the first half. The second half they won 6 of their last 8, but didn't make the playoffs, and barely made .500 football. The season is 16 games for a very good reason, and taking any aspect of it (beginning, middle, or end) lightly, and your team won't be playing after week 17.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Last year the Steelers had the toughest schedule in the NFL, and they ended up hoisting the Lombardi. This year, they have one of the weakest schedules in football, and their 1-2. Granted it is very early, but our division rival, and toughest competition, the Ravens, have shown that although their defensive is of championship caliber, they have an offense which is more than capable of putting up points. So far, we don't have an offense capable of capitalizing, let alone finishing off teams. We have a defense that plays for one half, and doesn't show up for the other.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how Troy's absence is the reason why we are losing. Polamalu is a quintessential piece to this defense, but right now, he's just a spectator. I'm sick of the assumptions that "if we had Troy", or if "Troy was playing". He's not, and there is absolutely nothing we, or Troy can do about it.

These early games have set a lazy tempo, and a weak demeanor. I've watched in astonishment as the Bengals drove down the field and kicked our asses. I looked in horror as the Bears kicked a 43 yard field goal to FINISH us off. Two games, and two teams that we should not have lost to, but did. We shouldn't lose to the Lions, the Broncos, the Browns, the Cheifs, the bla bla bla bla. I maybe the only one, but I am fed up with that saying. So far, all we've done is show that we should lose to these teams. It looks like the Steelers have taken this same motto, "we shouldn't lose to _____", and have lived by it. They need to be thinking, "we can't, and won't lose because we are the best motha f*ckin' team in the G*d D*MN NFL"!

There is time, and there are plenty of games, but it starts next week. A loss to the Chargers would drive a stake through our chances of repeating. A win to the Chargers would be an outstanding launching pad, we'll just see what happens.

I hear what youre saying as well. But look the Steelers were not going to go 19-0 fellas as much as we wish it would happen so that everybody on these boards and in Steelers Nation would be happy every single week it just wasnt going to happen. Like I said I pointed out before this season began how tough these first four games would be especially with the Bears and Bengals back to back weeks on the road. I knew there was a possibility the Steelers could lose one or both games even whether Polamalu played or not. Now did I expect the Steelers defense to have complete meltdowns in both the Bears and Bengals games in the 4th quarter?? Absolutely not. Right now the Steelers are not finishing off games and putting teams away when they have too and are relying too much on last minute heroics again from either Ben or the defense like last year to win games. It worked out every game pretty much last year, this year so far it isnt working out.

Im with you when you say a loss at home to the Chargers this week in the same fashion and a 1-3 start would really put the Steelers in a huge huge hole no matter how easy the schedule is the rest of the way. They need to win this game and beat a solid team like San Diego so they can get their confidence back and then roll into the Detroit and Cleveland game and take care of those teams like they are suppose too. A win this week gets you back to 2-2 with 2 games coming up next with the Lions and the Browns that the Steelers should win and will have absolutely excuse in the world for losing to either one of those teams period...

Gold Standard
    - We play the Chargers at home this week. Not saying that is an easy win but well within reason that we win at home.

- Ravens have the Patriots in Foxboro. Easily a game they could lose. Remember the Chiefs scored 24 on the Ravens and the Chargers scored 26. Not exactly an inpenetrable fortress there. Oooh, held the Stains to 3.......whoopdi do!

We win, they lose and we are only a game behind regardless of what the Bungels do because they already lost a game.

Have a little faith and stop the complete panic! We do have a good football team. It has some flaws but it is still a top 5 team in this league.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    - We play the Chargers at home this week. Not saying that is an easy win but well within reason that we win at home.

- Ravens have the Patriots in Foxboro. Easily a game they could lose. Remember the Chiefs scored 24 on the Ravens and the Chargers scored 26. Not exactly an inpenetrable fortress there. Oooh, held the Stains to 3.......whoopdi do!

We win, they lose and we are only a game behind regardless of what the Bungels do because they already lost a game.

Have a little faith and stop the complete panic! We do have a good football team. It has some flaws but it is still a top 5 team in this league.

It's what I have been saying on here the Ravens schedule the next 3 weeks is much and I mean much tougher then the Steelers and if the Steelers are going to close the gap on the Ravens this is going to be the time to do so. The Ravens have games at New England,they host Cincy which wont be easy, and have to go to Minnesota the following week. While the Steelers host San Diego who is good but not world beaters and a team I am confident they can beat, and they go to Detroit and then host the Browns.

So its very very possible that the Ravens drop 2 out of 3 in that stretch and the Steelers win all 3 and both of them are 4-2 tied at top of the division at the end of October going into the game with the Vikings October 25th at Heinz Field. Im also not worried about the Bengals because either them or the Ravens will lose in 2 weeks when they both play each other so either way the Steelers will get help. Also, despite the win from the Bengals yesterday Im still not sold on them and I feel they will come back to reality here soon and lose a game they should win. Plus, they still have to play the Steelers again in Pittsburgh here in mid November and the Steelers will not get swept and lose to the Bengals twice.

Gold Standard
    Perhaps some of these fair weather fans are secretly fearful of the Turds. Maybe some think they are a 15 or 16 game winner.......

24 points to the Chiefs?
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

Exactly my point of view also. I too am sick and tired of hearing it's because Troy is not in there. He is no doubt a huge part of the D, but we still are only getting like 1 sack a game. We are not finishing drives. Woodley, and Harrison have been pretty quiet also. (for thier standards) And this team is 1 or 2 plays from being 0-3, or a few plays of being 3-0.

I'm A "Champion"

Funny how I post a thread asking if people are in panic mode and you jump all over it. Then you go and admit that many in the fanbase are in panic mode. Also every game is winnable and loseable. Probably not a real good idea to look too far ahead.

Thread Information