Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin's 2008 Draft Class

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    jaguars-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    im being honest when i say sweed broke my heart....cant give up on him but hes got a ways to go as a receiver...excellent physical specimen and a good guy hopefully he can get it together.

mendenhall is not and will not be a bust, and sweed whether he is nothing in the future we couldnt have passed on him there, they considered him 32 spots earlier.

i bet you were one of the people who thought timmons was a bust after his rookie year.

also ryan mundy was a 6th round pick and hes still around and they are pretty high on him as a replacement for clark
    I dont know what you do with Limas Sweed at this point but it's pretty obvious after another key drop for a TD yesterday that Tomlin was pissed after the game and that McDonald is going to get an opportunity to play in the 4-5 wide package come Sunday and beyond. You just cannot continue to drop key passes especially ones that are TD's like Limas Sweed has continued to do since he has been activated on gameday. The drop yesterday was flat out inexcusable and Sweed should be and deserves to not see the field. Mike Wallace at this point is head and shoulders ahead of Limas Sweed anyway and has earned the number 3 receiving position on this team.

As for Mendenhall the Steelers really need to start using this guy more during the game especially in the short yardage 3rd down situations. It's pretty obvious that Parker cant get the job done on 3rd and short and on the goaline so next in line has to be Mendenhall. He cant contribute when he is standing on the sideline with his thumb up his *** because him and Tomlin arent seeing eye to eye though. I didnt get Tomlin's comments yesterday when asked why didnt they use Mendenhall he said he wasnt fully prepared to play or something along those lines. Well if he wasnt fully prepared and you no intention of using him Coach Tomlin then why the hell wasnt Redman dressed?? Tomlin's comments in regards to that just made no sense. Whatever the deal is with Tomlin and Mendenhall it better get rectified and fixed sooner rather then later because this team is going to need Mendenhall to contribute on offense and in the run game at some point this season...

"Whatever the deal is with Tomlin and Mendenhall it better get rectified and fixed sooner rather then later because this team is going to need Mendenhall to contribute on offense and in the run game at some point this season..."

I second that, Mendenhall is a 1st round pick. We need him even if Willie gains 80+ yards a game.

And I'm not sure why you labeled Dixon a bust, did he personally **** you off or something? He is a 3rd string QB. Charlie Batch is a very solid, and reliable backup, unless both Ben, and Charlie go down, Dixon shouldn't see the light of day on the field. In my opinion, he has made vast improvements since his rookie season, and still has an opportunity for at least another season or so to show the Steelers organization his full potential.
    Last edited by Ironman; 09-28-2009 at 09:22 PM.

charlie batch is not very solid...hes over the hill and i would say that at this point he sucks

charlie batch is not very solid...hes over the hill and i would say that at this point he sucks
    In the 5 seasons he has spent here, he has played in 22 games, compiled 6 passing TD's, 1 rushing, 4 INT's and 1 lost fumble. His passing rating is 80.7 with us. Granted, he is definitely out of his prime, but he is a backup, and we have never asked much from him - when we have, he hasn't blown away expectations, but he certainly hasn't tarnished them either.

They say it takes three, four, maybe even five years to fairly evaluate an NFL draft class. Running back Rashard Mendenhall and wide receiver Limas Sweed are doing their worst to disprove that. It's almost as if they are trying to prove that the Steelers' 2008 draft class is a bust.

It's bad enough that Sweed -- a second-round pick in '08 -- dropped a touchdown pass in the 23-20 loss Sunday to the Cincinnati Bengals. We've come to expect that from him. He has been awful. But it's much worse that Mendenhall -- the first-round choice -- did such a poor job preparing for the game that he was benched by irritated coach Mike Tomlin. This guy is supposed to be a professional? He certainly doesn't look like one.

Mendenhall's actions really are reprehensible. "Rashard wasn't on the details this week," Tomlin said of his decision not to play him on offense. How can that be? How can Mendenhall let his teammates down like that? How can he let himself down?

"It was a bunch of little stuff," Mendenhall said when asked what Tomlin meant.

I'm guessing it was more than that. Certainly, Tomlin didn't consider it to be "little stuff." Coaches rarely call out a player publicly and embarrass him. That's a drastic step.

Shame on Mendenhall.

Is he not smart enough to realize the opportunity he has with the Steelers?

Last week, Tomlin hinted Mendenhall was ready to get more touches. In the loss Sept. 20 at Chicago, Mendenhall had turned a bad flat pass into a 13-yard gain, then ran for 39 yards to set up a touchdown. Those were his two best plays as a pro. They also made you and probably Tomlin think for the first time that maybe the kid has a chance to be pretty good after all.

Then Mendenhall gets benched?

Inexcusable.

Part of Mendenhall's problem is he doesn't have a veteran running back to guide him, to show him how to prepare and practice, to teach him what it means to be a pro. Starting back Willie Parker had Jerome Bettis, one of the great leaders in Steelers history. Lucky Willie. But Parker, though a great runner at times in his career, isn't much of a leader. Carey Davis was the closest thing to one among the Steelers' running backs, but he was cut this summer when Tomlin decided to go with rookie Frank Summers. Many veterans on the team will tell you that was a mistake, and their argument picked up steam Sunday when Summers was put on the inactive list.

Still, Mendenhall has to find a way to figure it all out. It's nice to think he will learn from this harsh lesson from Tomlin and start taking his well-paid job more seriously. "You always want your coach to feel good about you and have confidence in you," he said. We'll see this week how much Mendenhall wants that. We'll see what he does on the practice field and in the meeting room. We'll know if he has earned Tomlin's trust again Sunday night when the 1-2 Steelers play the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field in as close to a must-win game in early October that a team can have.

The Steelers desperately need Mendenhall to be successful. There's a good chance Parker will leave as a free agent after the season. If Mendenhall can't justify that No. 1 pick -- not to mention his five-year, $12.55 million contract -- the team will be in a real dilemma.

At least the Steelers have better options than Sweed.

Even before Sunday, rookie Mike Wallace had surpassed Sweed as the No. 3 receiver. Then, Wallace, who looks like a steal as a third-round draft choice, caught everything thrown his way against the Bengals -- seven receptions for 102 yards -- and Sweed dropped the 34-yard touchdown pass that would have given the Steelers a 20-9 lead in the third quarter. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger couldn't have put that ball in a more perfect spot.

Hey, at least Sweed didn't stay down this time and fake an injury the way he did after dropping a touchdown pass in the AFC championship game in January, costing the Steelers an important timeout.

Tomlin should be thankful for small miracles, right?

Not surprisingly, Sweed didn't get back in the game Sunday. Now, I'm wondering if he'll ever get back on the field for the Steelers, barring injuries.

Veteran Shaun McDonald, who was inactive against the Bengals, would be a better choice than Sweed as the No. 4 man against the Chargers. At least he will catch the ball. Tomlin can't count on Sweed to do that. Roethlisberger can't count on him, even though he rushed to him on the sideline after the drop to console him. "To be a professional, you've got to be able to put things behind you," Big Ben said. "I told him I'll come back to him when the time comes. I'm going to have confidence that he's going to make the play the next time he has the chance."

Pardon me for not believing that.

Really, how can anyone have faith in Sweed?

What's most troubling is that Sweed doesn't seem to have a clue that his job could be in jeopardy. "It happened. I hit the ground and the ball bounced out," he said of his latest drop.

That's pretty lame.

Sweed's game is lame.

There really is no reason to think Sweed will do his part to save the '08 draft class.

The Steelers already have cut linebacker Bruce Davis, their No 3 choice in that draft. That leaves Mendenhall, Sweed, offensive tackle Tony Hills (can't get off the inactive list on Sundays), quarterback Dennis Dixon (the No. 3 man) and safety Ryan Mundy (a backup) from the '08 class.

Go ahead, keep telling yourself it takes three, four, maybe even five years to fairly evaluate any group.

Say it enough times and you might believe it.

Or not.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/09272/100...#ixzz0SUMmy5OS
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Addicted
    im being honest when i say sweed broke my heart....cant give up on him but hes got a ways to go as a receiver...excellent physical specimen and a good guy hopefully he can get it together.

mendenhall is not and will not be a bust, and sweed whether he is nothing in the future we couldnt have passed on him there, they considered him 32 spots earlier.

i bet you were one of the people who thought timmons was a bust after his rookie year.

also ryan mundy was a 6th round pick and hes still around and they are pretty high on him as a replacement for clark
    Agreed!

Sweed will het his **** together (hopefully) and Mendenhall will get better as he gets more carries. Calling thems busts so early is ignorant especially because Mendenhall hasn't been playing and, for Sweed, in most cases it takes wideouts a couple years to make the transition. I bet some of you thought Hines and Troy were busts too after their rookie year.

ps. Sweed has been disappointing me though.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Sweed will het his **** together (hopefully) and Mendenhall will get better as he gets more carries. Calling thems busts so early is ignorant especially because Mendenhall hasn't been playing and, for Sweed, in most cases it takes wideouts a couple years to make the transition. I bet some of you thought Hines and Troy were busts too after their rookie year.

ps. Sweed has been disappointing me though.
    Nobody thought Hines Ward was a bust since he was a third round pick.....As for Troy, most fans knew it took more then a year for a rookie to learn our defense......

I have defended Mendenhall and Sweed by not calling them busts and telling people to be more patient.....But I'm sorry for Rashard to not take his job serious enough during the week and for him to be benched is pathetic....Time to grow up Rashard and act like pro....I remember reading before the draft in 2008 that Mendenhall had some work ethic concerns and that football wasn't that important to him.....That is looking to be true more and more as each day passes....Frankly I'm tired of Rashard Mendenhall to step up and do something.....

As for Sweed, his problem is simple and he just needs to learn to hang onto the damn ball....But the Steelers can't afford to let him grow on the job anymore since they're in a 1-2 hole right now......

I can forgive Sweed more then Mendenhall at this point...At least Sweed does work hard and works at his craft....Mendenhall just uses his first round draft status to cash a check at this point.....Mendenhall is becoming my least favorite Steeler at this point......Time to take off the diapers Rashard........

My Mood
    Fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Nobody thought Hines Ward was a bust since he was a third round pick.....As for Troy, most fans knew it took more then a year for a rookie to learn our defense......

I have defended Mendenhall and Sweed by not calling them busts and telling people to be more patient.....But I'm sorry for Rashard to not take his job serious enough during the week and for him to be benched is pathetic....Time to grow up Rashard and act like pro....I remember reading before the draft in 2008 that Mendenhall had some work ethic concerns and that football wasn't that important to him.....That is looking to be true more and more as each day passes....Frankly I'm tired of Rashard Mendenhall to step up and do something.....

As for Sweed, his problem is simple and he just needs to learn to hang onto the damn ball....But the Steelers can't afford to let him grow on the job anymore since they're in a 1-2 hole right now......

I can forgive Sweed more then Mendenhall at this point...At least Sweed does work hard and works at his craft....Mendenhall just uses his first round draft status to cash a check at this point.....Mendenhall is becoming my least favorite Steeler at this point......Time to take off the diapers Rashard........
    EXCELLENT POINTS
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

I find it hard to bash Meny at this point, Tomlin seems to be attached to Willie and is giving 34 less and less playing time. Split the carries, lets see what we have!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information