Thread: Post Gazette: Ben on pace to set Steeler records

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Post Gazette: Ben on pace to set Steeler records

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06318/738188-66.stm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One of the seven or so players who stood up at the Steelers' Saturday morning meeting was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. It should come as no surprise considering that he stood up to everything thrown at him all year, from emergency medical procedures to calls for his benching.

Now it's Roethlisberger's turn to do the throwing, and he has done a much better job of it lately. In the past five games, he has compiled a more Big Ben-like passer rating of 101.4 compared to his overall 78.1. During that time, he has 1,474 passing yards, 10 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and completed 70 percent of his throws.

Clouded by the team's record and his high interception total, Roethlisberger is on target to produce the most prolific season by a passer in club history.

He has thrown for 2,043 yards in eight games, an average of 255.4 yards per game. Over the course of 15 games, that would produce 3,830 yards. Terry Bradshaw holds the team record with 3,724 yards in 1979.

Roethlisberger also is tearing through the personal standards he set in his wildly successful first two seasons as a pro. He has thrown for 998 yards the past three games, by far the most he has produced in a three-pack. This, after he threw for 433 yards against Denver Nov. 6, the second-highest total in club history.

It also marked the first time in his career he had consecutive games of more than 300 yards -- he had just two such games in his first two seasons. He has gone over 200 yards in his past seven games. He did it six times last season before the playoffs, and topped 200 four times as a rookie.

Also, for the second time in four games, Roethlisberger threw three touchdown passes. He had one three-touchdown game before this season.

All in all, coach Bill Cowher is happy with his quarterback's performance.

"It was good to see him accurately throwing," Cowher said after Sunday's 38-31 victory against New Orleans at Heinz Field. "He's played pretty well throughout the year except for those one or two throws."

I'll trade all those stats away for about 4 more wins right now !

That's the truth TG!!! Records don't mean a thing when you are losing games!

I was looking at Ben's numbers today and he is up there in passing yards and not to far from the leaders. All of his interceptions though have a black cloud over his yardage...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah that one statistic we lead the league in is turnovers and Ben's interceptions lead the league too if Im not mistaken. That's one record I don't want to hold !

My Mood
    Addicted
    Ben has played well the last couple games and that is a good sign. He had the 3 INT's against Denver but only 1 was really bad if I recall. The other 2 were mostly becuase of the situation. I don't blame all the INT's on Ben to begin with. Mostly because I don't know which ones were caused by the WR not being where he thought they would. That has a lot to do with them not getting a lot of practice together to start the season. But it does look as though they are getting on track now.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    And a good bit of those INT's were tipped balls too, which really though comes down to Ben making sure he sees the field, gets it over the DL's hands but also putting it where the WR can catch it. If Ben is picking now to get on track then its as good a time as any cuz we need him more than ever to play well.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well about Ben's INT's this year. His first three games he had 0 TD's and 7 INT's while dealing with his health issues. So rust was expected during those games. So since then Ben has had 10 TD's and 7 INT's. Plus 4 of those INT's where in the Raiders game after he suffered a concussion the game before against the Falcons. So I'm sure a healthy Ben Roethlisberger wouldn't have thrown this many INT's so far. The reason I'm excited about Ben maybe setting the single season passing yards mark is we are starting to see the talent that Ben has and that he indeed one day could carry this team if he had to.

If Ben can avoid the injury bug the rest of the way this year and in the off-season the Steelers offense has the chance to be very explosive. I agree the best way to win is throwing the ball 20-25 times a game and build a lead and then let the running game take over in the 2nd half of games. But thats not going to happen every game so its nice that the Steelers finally have a offense that potentially could play a shoot out style if needed. The Steelers did lose a shoot out vs the Falcons but Sunday against the Saints could be looked at as a shoot out and the Steelers did win that one.

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    I could care less about stats unless your on my fantasy which he is but i rahter have the steelers winnin

Thread Information