Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-Game: MIke Tomlin

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Post-Game: MIke Tomlin

Mike Tomlin, coach, Pittsburgh Steelers We were unable to make significant plays at the end of the football game to secure victory. Let me start by complimenting the Cincinnati Bengals because they did. We respect that element of it. We accept responsibility for our actions but at the same time we want to be complimentary of our opponents when they do the job. We’ve got some work to do. We’ve got to finish football games better. That’s the mark of a champion. It’s not us at this point. We’ve got to continue to grow. We’ve got to accept responsibility for our action, get back in the lab, turn over whatever stones possible to find a winning formula to get in this locker room victorious when we’re in control of football games. That’s the reality of it. We won’t run away from that. We acknowledge that. We accept responsibility for what happened. Questions.

Q: Before the end of the half, why didn’t you try a long field goal?

A: We thought we were controlling get-off downs. We thought we were moving the ball effectively. We thought maybe we had an opportunity to get a first down and potentially a touchdown. We were at the outermost edge of what was comfortable field-goal range. You saw we attempted one maybe a yard shorter than that location there in the second half, so we opted to try to move the chains and maybe put seven on the board.

Q: With a timeout left on the final kickoff return, were you surprised Rashard Mendenhall pitched it back?

A: I was, but that was just a young guy trying to make a play to try to win the football game. That’s not the reason we lost. There’s a lot that transpired in the moments preceding that that made that score what it was.

Q: Why did you make personnel changes in the secondary on that last drive? Was that health related or matchup related?

A: It was both. Of course, Tyrone (Carter) is coming off a thigh injury and we had some matchup situations where we wanted to apply pressure and put a corner-like guy on a wide receiver-like guy. We were using three-corner defenses there throughout the game in base defense with Deshea (Townsend) essentially playing strong safety in some instances. We also of course put Keiwan Ratliff in in certain situations at the end. Needless to say it was not successful.

Q: What happened on the interception return for a touchdown?

A: Just a miscommunication.

Q: Is this the best evidence that this is a new season?

A: We don’t need what transpired out there to let us know it’s a new season. We realized that when we reported to Latrobe. That’s been our mentality. That’s what we said, and that’s not lip service. We mean it.

Q: (Inaudible question)

A: Really, what it is, and it’s the story of the National Football League, is we’ve got to get on the details. This is the ultimate parity league. When you’re on the details, you find ways to win close games, you find ways to close games simply because you’re living and performing right. When you’re not, you’re not and we accept responsibility for that.

Q: Should it even have come down to the last drive?

A: I’m not concerned about putting people away early. We need to do what’s required to win. We had an opportunity to win that football game and we weren’t able to do that.

Q: Why can’t the defense get off the field late in games?

A: Usually it’s a myriad of reasons, quite frankly. Tighter coverage, better players, they go hand in hand. The bottom line is we need significant players – and we’ve got quite a few of those – to make significant plays at significant moments. That’s what comprises good football teams. We have candidates. They’ve got to deliver.

Q: Is it a variety of mistakes or are you seeing the same mistakes over and over?

A: It’s not a big enough body of work to judge it in that way. We’ve just got to make critical plays at critical moments. We have people who are capable of doing that. We have people who have resumes that are full of that. We’ve just got to find ways to get it out of them.

Q: What causes details to slip?

A: I’m not even going to say it’s lack of details. That’s just what my human nature tells me when you lose ball games. The reality is we’ve got to make plays in big moments.

Q: When you win it’s a veteran defense. When you lose it’s maybe an old defense. Did you sense your defense running out of gas at the end?

A: No. I’ve never called it ‘a veteran defense’ or ‘old defense.’ Those are not my words. That’s our defense.

Q: Did you sense them tired though?

A: I’m sure there were 22 people that were fatigued. That was a great number of
    plays. That will never be an excuse. The reality is we’d better be relatively fresh, meaning relative to our opponent.

Q: Did Limas (Sweed) take his eyes off the ball in the end zone?

A: (Laughs) You saw what I saw. He dropped it.

Q: Were you pleased that you got more production out of Willie (Parker) today?
    A: I’m not pleased with anything because we were not successful.

Q: Why didn’t Rashard get in?
    A: Rashard wasn’t on the details this week so I chose not to play him on offense.
    I seen part of this on TV after the Game and He looked pissed/sound pissed. I can just imagine what the players/coaches had to hear before we did.....

I’m not concerned about putting people away early.
    And why the F*ck not!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Captcoolhand; 09-27-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Here's my problem:

A: I’m not concerned about putting people away early. We need to do what’s required to win. We had an opportunity to win that football game and we weren’t able to do that.

Seems he's relying on this too much!

2 games, I'm pissed as is all of Steelers Nation, we will rebound! But some changes are needed.
    Last edited by LatrobePA; 09-27-2009 at 09:26 PM.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Here's my problem:

A: Iím not concerned about putting people away early. We need to do whatís required to win. We had an opportunity to win that football game and we werenít able to do that.

Seems he's relying on this too much!

2 games, I'm pissed as is all of Steelers Nation, we will rebound! But some changes are needed.
    That's the same thing that i had to edit my post about that stood out to me.....

Iím not concerned about putting people away early.

Dude, that has to be one of the dumbest things I ever heard.......
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

From the mouth of --- our coach !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a healthy lead and let our defence play their game... Relentless agressive, turn the other team one dimensional. PUT THEM AWAY AS SOON AS YOU CAN! Early is always preferable. My God...

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    That's the same thing that i had to edit my post about that stood out to me.....

Iím not concerned about putting people away early.

Dude, that has to be one of the dumbest things I ever heard.......
    Don't you get what he is saying though? Regardless of whether we should have scored more earlier, we still had chances to win. We didn't win though because we didn't come out with the big plays when we needed to. It is not like they are not trying to get some big scores, the offence isn't just firing on all cylinders, particularly in the red zone.

Rookie Free Agent steelersforever1983's Avatar
    big plays never pan out in the NFL. We need to concentrate on west coast since we obviously pass the ball more than we run. West Coast philosophy is short passing and occasional runs. This goes against everything i believe and hate it. Run the ball, play action and defense is what i believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersforever1983 View Post
    big plays never pan out in the NFL. We need to concentrate on west coast since we obviously pass the ball more than we run. West Coast philosophy is short passing and occasional runs. This goes against everything i believe and hate it. Run the ball, play action and defense is what i believe in.
    I agree... We don't have the personnel (O-LINE) to be running the kind of O we are all used to. We didn't do it last year, we might as well abandon it this year.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersforever1983 View Post
    By big plays, I mean important/key plays. Like stopping a 4th and 10. Making a TD catch. Kicking a long FG.

Rookie Free Agent steelersforever1983's Avatar
    if your talking about key plays i agree with stopping them on 4th and 10 and kicking the fg but people forget that the it was third and manageable and you go for the big pass play for a TD instead of converting the down with a short pass play or run. smart football is the key.

Thread Information