Thread: With running back rotation in place, are Steelers a pass-first team?

Bookmark and Share
    Awaiting Seven...

With running back rotation in place, are Steelers a pass-first team?

Found this on ProFootballTalk.com

With running back rotation in place, are Steelers a pass-first team?

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 19, 2009 4:28 PM ET

It feels like a long time ago that the Titans stuffed the Steelers running game on the NFL's opening night to 36 yards rushing on 23 feeble attempts.

That game had many wondering if not-as-Fast Willie Parker would be pushed aside eventually for Mewelde Moore and Rashard Mendenhall.

For now, the plan in Pittsburgh is to have a three-back rotation.

Parker will take two series, Mendenhall will take one, and Moore will get the majority of passing-down and no-huddle offense work. The plan isn't different than what the Steelers did against Tennessee. In short-yardage situations, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians says that whoever is in the game will stay there.

This plan will inevitably have Moore on the field during many, if not most, crucial situations in the game, especially because the Steelers have expanded their no-huddle approach.

Arians points out that most of the Pittsburgh offense can now be used in the no-huddle if the team wants.

"That package has tripled in size now, and it's damn near the whole offense," Arians said. "It's evolved to where he can almost use 80 percent of the playbook in it, and [Ben Roethlisberger] gotten very proficient at it."

The Mike Tomlin Steelers have been great at playing to their strengths, and their passing game has all their best offensive players: Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Hines Ward, and Santonio Holmes.

Roethlisberger has never topped 500 pass attempts in a year, but this Steelers squad begs for it.

"Well, we're not Buffalo, we're not the K-Gun of Jim Kelly," Arians said, "But we could be, we could be very easily."
    Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ss-first-team/
    Last edited by Sir Blitzelot; 09-19-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Waterboy
    As a long as they can control the clock it really does not matter what type of offense they run. I believe last week despite all of the pass attempts we still held onto the ball longer. Key to every game is not leaving the D 'out to dry'.

Rookie Free Agent STEELER 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Even tho all you hear is the steelers have always been a run first team we don't have the line for it. The front office haven't given us an o-line thru the draft or FA to do so, we are just avg. So we have 2 be pass first. We can't even get a 3rd & 2 consistently. I would like 2 see them get a big bruiser 2 go with mendenhall, and then you have moore that can catch 2. Even then the o-line is just avg. If we can concentrate on the o-line in the next draft, maybe first 2 picks it would be a start 2 getting back 2 what our history has been. On the other hand we can win passing more, but i don't think it is best for ben. I think he tries 2 do 2 much at times. The way he extends plays, theres always gonna be 2-3 drives killed with big sacks he takes holding on 2 the ball, and another drive or 2 killed by him trying 2 fit the ball in instead of throwing it away. This will always let the other team hang in the game and result in some losses.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Run, Pass, Punt, Kick, hell I don't care if they start running around with hot dogs out there just make up your mind what you are doing to do and who you are going to be and stick with it. If we're going to pass then pass and mix in the run but find something and stick with it and stop trying to turn this team into a power run smash mouth team because it's not going to happen.

3rd and short and we still try and run it?! Of course you do in a perfect world but this team is not a short yardage team at this point so play to your strenghts and use the short passing game as a supplemental run game for now. You can just as easily line up and do a quick slant or dump off and pick up 2 yds as you can running the ball. Atleast then we'd be converting 3rd and short instead of sending in the punt or FG unit?

My Mood
    jaguars-hater
    They dont really try to run the football as much anymore because I believe they really dont want to run the football it's really that simple. Tomlin will never come out and admit that but this is a pass first run second kind of offense right now and it's starting to show each and every week. Ben continues to have 30-35 attempts each game where in the past he would lucky to get to 25 attempts a game. Ive said this before and Ill say it again the Steelers are a passing team and they really need to start using the pass to set up the run instead of vice versa...

Thread Information