Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Focused On Starting Season With Win

Bookmark and Share

Steelers Focused On Starting Season With Win

Sep 6, 2009 8:42 pm US/Eastern

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

The Steelers got back to work Sunday focusing on their first game of the year set for this Thursday at Heinz Field against the Tennessee Titans.

Officials with the team also announced this season's captains.

On offense, Ben Roethlisberger and Hines Ward will be the leaders, while on defense it'll be James Harrison and James Farrior, and on special teams, Jeff Reed and Keyaron Fox will take on the duties.

Meanwhile, the players were doing their best to not play into the hype surrounding last season's stomping of the Terrible Towel, and instead focus on starting out the season with a win.

"Last year, we faced a lot of great defenses, and this year it starts out with a bang cause they are a great defense from front to back," said Roethlisberger.

The Titans certainly had a good defense last year when they handed the Steelers a 31-14 loss during week 16.

In that loss, Roethlisberger turned the ball over four times.

"That's, you know, on me," added Roethlisberger. "Whenever you turn the ball over that many times, it's not good. We need to make sure we take care of the ball, and score as many points as we can."

But as far as payback for that loss goes, the Steelers feel it is they who have what the Titans want.

"We don't owe them anything. We won the Super Bowl," said Willie Parker. "So, I don't think… we definitely owe them nothing. But it's gonna be a good game, and we just got to prepare to face a great team."

"They beat us solidly," said Ryan Clark. "They beat us in every phase of the game; they outplayed us tremendously, but when the dust settled we're still the Super Bowl champs."

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

"They beat us solidly," said Ryan Clark. "They beat us in every phase of the game; they outplayed us tremendously, but when the dust settled we're still the Super Bowl champs."

Anyone think that Tomlin will have a talk with Clark about the Super Bowl Champs reference? I sure as hell do. Coach T will keep them humble.

It's true though

Lots of talk about last season's game and the Towel Incident but none of that matters much now. Like Tomlin said, it's all in the past doesn't matter if it's 2008 or 1978. Man, I can't wait for this. Pitt is gonna be jumpin Thursday, I can sense the great atmosphere already!

TN will not be ready for this game like they were last year!

Wasn't last years game a meaningless game for us? We were a lock in the PO's?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    TN will not be ready for this game like they were last year!

Wasn't last years game a meaningless game for us? We were a lock in the PO's?
    We could've been the first seed had we won our last two games, but yeah we were already guarenteed the first-round bye so it really wouldn't have done much.

it'll be different come thursday
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Quote Originally Posted by blackngold29 View Post
    We could've been the first seed had we won our last two games, but yeah we were already guarenteed the first-round bye so it really wouldn't have done much.
    I thought so, thanks. We also had a lot of turnovers. I thought the whole team played flat. I'd assume they'll want to redeem themselves a bit...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Clowns
    The Steelers will win Thursday night but by no means will it be an easy game. The Titans under Jeff Fisher always play the Steelers tough and they will be chomping at the bit to come in here Thursday night and make an early season statement by beating the Super Bowl champions in their own backyard...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Even after getting outplayed in all phases of that game we were still in it with a chance to win in the 4th quarter until it completely fell apart. This will not be easy for either team, the Titans have had all offseason to sit around and think about how they blew a chance to go deep into the playoffs; but having said that we'll be ready you can bet on it!

Thread Information