Thread: Big Snack senses time is up

Bookmark and Share

Big Snack senses time is up

Hampton senses his time is up with Steelers
    No contract talks in progress
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Andy Starnes/Post-Gazette
    Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton is entering the final year of his contract.

Casey Hampton laughed yesterday and so did coordinator Dick LeBeau over the "report" on the NFL Network that the four-time Pro Bowl nose tackle could be cut or traded before the start of the season.
    That has as good a chance of happening as did the signing of Michael Vick by the Steelers.
    What's not a laughing matter is that this could be Hampton's last season here and, the way he spoke yesterday, it likely will be his last with the Steelers.
    Let Hampton connect the dots.
    "Yeah, it's coming down to that," Hampton said. "If they don't do contracts during the season, then that'll make me a free agent."
    And ...
    "If I get to free agency, man, I mean everybody knows what it is. So I don't need to say something about that. If they let me get to free agency, everybody knows what it's going to be, so there's no need to even talk about it."
    Did someone say talk? There has been nothing of the kind on a contract extension for Hampton, one of six starters who will play under their final contract year in 2009. He actually will earn less in salary this season than last, more than $700,000 less. His salary for 2009 is $3,075,000. It was $3.8 million last season.
    At that, he looks like a bargain, even as he turns 32 years old tomorrow. He is one year older than defensive end Brett Keisel, who now makes more than Hampton after signing his new contract Monday for five years and nearly $19 million with a $5 million signing bonus.
    The Steelers also could put the franchise tag on Hampton next season, which would require a one-year contract of more than $6 million.
    "They ain't going to do that," Hampton insisted. "It ain't going to happen."
    Hampton does not want to think about why the Steelers signed his linemate -- who has not made a Pro Bowl --and not him, and he does not want to think about what might happen after the season.
    "All that don't matter, man," Hampton said. "My main focus is going back to the Super Bowl. I ain't no selfish guy, I've never been a selfish guy since I've been here. I've always been a team guy, and my main focus is to get back to the Super Bowl, helping these guys and showing them how to work and get back to it. We can't get complacent like we were last time. That's my goal."
    Yet there are times he just cannot help himself.
    "Being here this long and just being here and playing for them this period of time, I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't bother me because I do want to be here. You know what I'm saying? And I would like the security of being here, but I understand it's a business."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09245...#ixzz0PwuDKHOS

My Mood
    Impatient
    I posted this under the rumor part, but I read the interview with Wexell, it sounds more like Hampton is going to play the market, but with "dead money" from older contracts Hampton is already taking up like 5 Million of cap room, if that source was correct. If that is true, than I think we could offer him a 2 year 10 million dollar contract and not really take up much more room. Plus, he wants to stay on a winning team, that will help our cause. I think of all the Free agents left next year, Hampton should be the #1 priority.

Just like when Porter left someone will fill the void if he leaves. I love the guy but what can you do??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Impatient
    The Steelers are known for just moving the next linebacker into place, but NT is such a different position, we have no one on our roster that can fill Hampton's void and we dont like to start rookies their first year, this combination makes me really nervous. I hope they get him signed.

I think Tomlin and him don't get along and it's only a matter of time!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Awaiting Seven...
    Sometimes we forget that the NFL is a business and there is simply not enough money to go around. It's a shame, but that is the nature of the business.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Casey has been a staple for us for a long, long time so it will suck to see him go but the team will move on. The difference with him as opposed to others that have left like Porter for example, is that we don't have anyone to take his place right now so they better make NT our #1 priority for next years draft.

Hoke is a very capable backup and always fills in well but I don't know that he is the long term answer for us as far as starters go.

I personally don't see Casey being cut. IF ANYTHING, Casey would leave via trade in exchange for a similar somewhat younger veteran but, I DO NOT even see that happening. It would be a cold day in hell if the Steelers cut Casey five days before the first game especially with the camaraderie that this defense holds.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Casey is not going to be cut, no way in hell that is going to happen this year, period, end of story...LOL... Now next year unless they pull something out of the hat and actually franchise him then yeah he'll probably be gone unfortunately, and I don't realistically seeing them using the franchise tag on him.

Draft Pick
    This is one of the things that drives me nuts every year. How come the Redskins and Cowboys etc. have money to throw around on 100 million dollar deals every year and the Steelers are perenially trying to piece things together with shoestrings because of "the cap"?.

Thread Information