Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keisel close to sign a new deal...**Update** signs 5 yr deal

Bookmark and Share

Keisel close to sign a new deal...**Update** signs 5 yr deal

Keisel close to signing new deal with Steelers
    Monday, August 31, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana / Post-Gazette
    Steelers James Farrior celebrates with Brett Keisel after scoring in the first half against the Buffalo Bills Thursday.

The Steelers are closing in on a five-year contract with defensive end Brett Keisel that could be finalized today.

Keisel, 30, has been a starter on the right side of the defense since 2006. He likely will be the last player the Steelers sign to a contract extension before the start of the season. He had one year left on the contract he signed in 2006.

Keisel, represented by Monroeville native Eric Metz, was a seventh-round draft choice in 2002 from Brigham Young. He has started 42 games since 2006.

Keisel is the latest in a long line of players the Steelers will have re-signed this season, including linebacker James Harrison, guard Chris Kemoeatu, tackle Max Starks, guard Trai Essex, tight end Heath Miller, wide receiver Hines Ward and linebacker Keyaron Fox.

I guess this means bye bye Clark?
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

clark has been seen as expendable since the end of last year

Rookie Free Agent
    Cool

But as long as reed still gets resigned/franchised next year....

Quote Originally Posted by Dude487 View Post
    Cool

But as long as reed still gets resigned/franchised next year....
    I don't even think the Steelers will have any cap space left...maybe we're banking on the uncapped year next season?

This is probably why we were also flirting with Piotr Czech this offseason

--- Added 8/31/2009 at 05:36 AM ---

I really don't understand to it be quite honest. What was the point in drafting Ziggy Hood if we are going to keep our two DEs? He certainly isn't big enough to play NT imho.

My Mood
    Impatient
    This is probably some insurance and depth at D line, Smith is older than Keisel and I think they are expecting Hood to replace Smith. I am going to guess that this contract will be friendly enough to the Steelers that Keisel could play backup.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers never do anything half assed when it comes to the cap, they know how to literally squeeze every dollar out of it to get the players signed. I don't think they are banking on an uncapped year, but rather this is how we do it every year. We always right very close to the line with the cap, making sure that we don't over extend ourselves.

The front office signed a lot of people this offseason and now with Kiesel on the brink of a deal it will help out a lot next offseason when guys like Reed are due up for a deal.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I thought thats why we picked up Hood to replace Keisel. So, does given Him a 5 yr deal, Hood's going to replace Smith?
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The Steelers never do anything half assed when it comes to the cap, they know how to literally squeeze every dollar out of it to get the players signed. I don't think they are banking on an uncapped year, but rather this is how we do it every year. We always right very close to the line with the cap, making sure that we don't over extend ourselves.

The front office signed a lot of people this offseason and now with Kiesel on the brink of a deal it will help out a lot next offseason when guys like Reed are due up for a deal.
    Every year? Ehh...I kind of find it unusual that the Steelers are extending so many contracts. I can't exactly remember a time where we had this many re-signings in the offseason.

In any case Keisel would be a good signing b/c even with Ziggy we lack depth along the D-Line. It's not like it will be a big money contract either. It's pretty awesome how the Steelers are re signing all their quality players and we don't have a revolving door like some teams.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    clark has been seen as expendable since the end of last year
    gotta say I agree with you when u say he is prob the worst player on our d (Clark that is) But I haven't been this comfortable with a fs since... Troy took over at ss! I just like their chemistry and wonder what we're gonna do if he doesn't get resigned. I think Mundy is proving he's more of a project than a legit starter and I'm not to sure Clark isn't our best option when it comes to price for play!

--- Added 8/31/2009 at 08:25 AM ---

Hope this deal goes through for Diesel... he's solid in every aspect and with hood we know have a stud pass rusher at depth!

Thread Information