Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timmons vs. the Run: Cause for Concern?

Bookmark and Share

Timmons vs. the Run: Cause for Concern?

Uh-Oh, Lawrence Timmons struggles against the run.
    By Dagger | August 24, 2009

Two preseason games in the books and in both contests Lawrence Timmons has looked very shaky vs the run. We all thought it was odd last year when Timmons appeared ready to start yet remained on the bench on 1st and 2nd down. Larry Foote was clearly playing his last season with the Steelers yet still held down the starting job over Timmons. We may be slowly starting to understand why Timmons was being “hidden” and only came onto the field on 3rd down and passing situations. He’s great at getting to the QB, he can drop into a zone, and is athletic enough to cover a RB, TE, or even a WR in coverage.
    Two meaningless preseason games aren’t enough visual evidence to send us into a panic but the Steelers need Timmons to plug holes, track the ball, shed blocks, and tackle guys in the run game.
    While Timmons has struggled a bit through two games, Keyaron Fox has looked fantastic. He is playing so well, in fact, that some people out there wouldn’t mind seeing Fox step into Foote’s old role as the ILB on 1st and 2nd down and then giving way to Timmons on 3rd and passing situations. It’s a bit early to suggest a move as drastic as this, but it really wouldn’t be a bad idea if Keyaron Fox is able to keep up this level of play. I’m not ready to go this far just yet, but it’s nice to know that if for some reason Timmons struggles, Fox is a guy that is capable of stepping in and playing the role of Larry Foote. It’s also important to note that Fox is being given the chance to see some action with the starters in short-yardage and goal line situations. Obviously the coaches like the way he is playing right now.
    Take a look at the 2 minute video we posted below. Timmons flashes his speed and skill a few times but he also has some incredibly ugly snaps. Fox is also featured and looks great. I think you will find that Timmons struggles when the ball is run right at him. When the ball goes the other direction, he is great at tracking down the ballcarrier with his speed. Fox on the other hand looks like a natural ILB and doesn’t care if the play is run at him or away from him. He sheds blocks, tracks the ball, and makes a play.

Analysis video here:

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6243073&amp

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7417

Preseason with base 3-4 defense nothing flashy. You'll see it shine and him once the season starts and true game plans are in place.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

im not to worried about it...he'll get better at it as the season goes on and even if hes only mediocre in the run game he is a phenom in coverage and pass rushing and he plays next to james harrison who is probably the best run defender in the league. the guys around him outweigh his negatives and emphasize his positives if that makes any sense at all

He is a complete monster. I'm not worried about him at all. He will be the next great young LB in the NFL.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    we will be fine... Were we worried when Foote couldnt cover a wet paper bag? Same difference only Timmons is twice the athlete of Foote and a soon to be Pro Bowler! He will figure it out, dont fret!
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Did you see him blow up the middle on that blitz in the first half? My God, if Portis misses that block, Campbell gets absolutely destroyed.

yeah and portis is beyond great in picking up blitzers so most of the time thats a sack

Yeh I was wondering the same thing watching the Redskins game. He was over pursuing the running lanes and getting blocked out of position. He seemed in my opinion to be taking on the blockers instead of working through the lanes to get to the runner.

just when i'm about flip my lid over one of K's posts, he goes ahead and makes a valid point.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Impatient
    Timmons will be good against the run, I am not sure he will be great like Foote was, but (and I have said this before) LeBeau or Tomlin, I think Tomlin, said he is the best pass rushing linebacker the Steelers have, including Harrison and Woodley, so the fact that Timmons really opens up the pass rush will be worth any errors Timmons makes stopping the run while he continues to learn the position

Thread Information