Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landry vs. Polamalu

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Landry vs. Polamalu

In case you missed it, the Redskins were crowing before the game that their free safety, LaRon Landry, is better than the Steelers' Troy Polamalu.

"I'd take LaRon over [Polamalu] any day," Washington safeties coach Steve Jackson said last week. "They would probably rather have Polamalu because he does do the things like a linebacker with the blitzing ... But when you watch him play true free safety, it's not even close in my humble opinion as far as who the better safety is."

As if trying to emphasize that, on the first play from scrimmage Saturday night, Washington quarterback Jason Campbell dropped back from his 35 and heaved a deep pass toward wide receiver Malcolm Kelly. Kelly was about to catch the ball when Polamalu deftly batted it away near the Steelers' 20.

As safeties coach, Jackson should know the difference between Landry as a free safety playing center field and Polamalu's job, listed as strong safety but playing the entire field.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09236...#ixzz0P6ifbAPs
    Explains why the Skins can't make the playoff's. Their coaching staff must be on some real shooms living in Never Never Land.

They can only wish they had a Polamalu type player.....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

That's what he says on the outside. Inside is a whole lot diffrent!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Well, they did cut Ryan Clark...
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Well what is he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, that other guy is way better than what I have to work with." C'mon.

To be honest, I really like Landry. He sometimes has a bad habit of going for the monster hit instead of the guaranteed stop, and pays for it when he misses. That aside he is a very good safety and will only continue to get better going forward. That said, Polamalu is a beat-stick and I'd be happy to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Well what is he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, that other guy is way better than what I have to work with." C'mon.:

Exactly!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Of course a coach is going to say his guy is better, ask all the other coaches in the league who they would rather have and I'd guess 96% would say Troy.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Impatient
    Yeah, I am sure that Green Bay thinks Smith is a better safety than Troy and we cut the wrong guy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    All I know is, Polamalu has 2 Super Rings in the last 4 years and how many do the Redskins have?

All kidding aside, if their coach didn't back his player then I wouldnt want him as a coach if I were a Redskin player so you can't blame him for sticking up for his guy...although I would hope he really does know the difference in position responsibilites between Free & Strong safety

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    Yeah, I am sure that Green Bay thinks Smith is a better safety than Troy and we cut the wrong guy
    Smith is looking good! Of course he's on their 2nd team!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    although I would hope he really does know the difference in position responsibilites between Free & Strong safety
    I wasn't trying to down the guy for what he said, but this was my thought exactly.

He should have said something in the likes that Troy is great at the Strong Safety position like they feel Landry is as a Free Safety. You just can't put these 2 in the same class.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information