Thread: Steelers Players, Rod Woodson Want Dick LeBeau In Hall Of Fame

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Steelers Players, Rod Woodson Want Dick LeBeau In Hall Of Fame

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...64/detail.html

Pittsburgh's Longtime Defensive Coach Is Widely Respected

Rod Woodson, the former Steelers cornerback, turned his own induction speech into a campaign rally for Dick LeBeau's election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

To Woodson, his former defensive coach -- a 14-year cornerback for the Detroit Lions and an innovative NFL coach for 37 seasons -- has waited too long to be recognized.

As a player, LeBeau's 62 interceptions were the seventh-most in NFL history and only nine fewer than Woodson's 71. Once he began coaching, LeBeau became one of football's most-copied coordinators, with many versions of the zone blitz defense he first tried in Cincinnati still in use by every NFL team.

"I hope the voters, seriously, get it right. He deserves to be in as a player and, if you don't put him in as a player, put him in as a contributor," Woodson said during his Saturday night speech in Canton, Ohio. "He deserves it. The voters are going to get tired of me saying it. Dick LeBeau deserves to be in the Hall of Fame."

LeBeau's current players quickly picked up on the theme. Safety Troy Polamalu, who rarely shows emotion off the field, became animated when he spoke of LeBeau's snub.

Polamalu said if players voted for the Hall of Fame, rather than writers and broadcasters, LeBeau would have been inducted years ago.

Currently, LeBeau's playing and coaching careers must be considered separately for induction, although the Hall of Fame is considering a change that would allow such crossover careers to be weighed together in a separate category.

.....LeBeau would like to be inducted, but he has never campaigned on his own behalf. He was clearly moved by Woodson's comments, saying, "In the bottom line, Rod Woodson did 100 times more for me than I ever did for him."

"The night was all about Rod, but that's Rod. He would share and deflect," LeBeau said. "No, I didn't expect to hear my name in Rod Woodson's acceptance speech, but what a tremendous honor it is that it was in there. What a great compliment to me that he spoke of me in that light. ... When you get your former players talking about you like that, it makes you feel like maybe you did something right."

LeBeau turns 72 the day before the Steelers' season opener next month, yet he has dropped no hints about retiring. Winning the Super Bowl in February gave him the perfect excuse to leave, but his players wouldn't hear of it. Two years ago, when the Steelers played in the Hall of Fame game, many wore $300 throwback LeBeau jerseys to Canton to lobby for him.

....."You think of the Hall of Fame, and you think of the things that changed this game. And he's a guy that has really changed this game," Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "He had to be a great defender to get 62 interceptions. ... His defense is always one that people copycat. He's someone that the NFL should want in the Hall of Fame."

". ... When you get your former players talking about you like that, it makes you feel like maybe you did something right."

Yes you have done something right Dick!

He will be in the hall one day. I hope that he is still around to give the acceptance speech.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    3 Cheers for Woodson on calling out the voters for not putting Lebeau in a long time ago. I mean for God sakes he was a pioneer of the 34 zone blitz scheme. Dick is the guy that does it right every year and the guy that does it the best every time. If there was ever a guy that needs to be in as either a player or contributor or whatever is Dick Lebeau. I don't care if you're a Steeler fan or not, the guy is a no brainer to make it into the HoF.

Draft Pick
    He should be in the HOF already as a player. The man had 62 interceptions in his career. Doesn't get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    I hope that he is still around to give the acceptance speech.

He's already like 400 years old, isn't he? Although at the shape he keeps himself in he'll be around longer than Joe Pa.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

My Mood
    Chatty
    He's simply amazing!! 2010 HOF Dick Lebeau will be inducted! This man is a legend give him his credit! He's beyond deserving of it!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He's as intense and sharp as he ever was, the guy just flat out knows his stuff and if there ever was a football genious...he is it no question.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Makes me sick when Michael Irvin gets into the Hall of Fame before a guy like Dick Lebeau.Not only because of a great 14 year playing career,37 year + coaching career,and is the creator of the zone blitz the man has earned the respect of every player he's been around..what more could you want from a HOF candidate?

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    He'll get in, just maybe not in his life time. But most of us will see it. If they would allow for more then 6 people in at a time that might make a difference.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

if they allowed more than 6 it wouldnt be as special imo...i think it should be 2-3 a year

if they ever find a place for coordinators he will be first in line, it would help him to have been a better head coach but his rings and legacy along with his player resume will get him in soon enough

Thread Information