Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood learning quickly

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Impatient

Hood learning quickly

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=9

Smith had a lot of good things to say about Hood's progress and I recieved a Tweet from Wexell that said the Steelers want to make sure Keisel comes unscathed through August before contract talks, do you think the Steelers are trying to buy time to see if Hood can be ready after 1 season, or do you think they are truly worried about injuries?

I would want Keisel, Smith and Hood for next season as the guys arent getting any younger.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    The Steelers might be getting Kiesel ready to be a backup next year when it comes time to re-sign him. They could be trying to get Hood ready to split time this year (if he looks like he could be ready). Similar to what Pitt did with Foote and Timmons this past year.
    They could "hold' over kiesel's head that they have a starter ready to replace him so they could sign him for a little (or alot) less.
    This would not be the first time they lowballed older players.
    See when they did not renegoiate K gary andersen's contract when he was the best kicker in the NFL and wanted paid better, since he was one of the lowest paid. When his contract was up, they let him go without a care.
    Rod Woodson was low balled by Pitt (5 yrs 2 million) when he was at the end of his contract and worked out to be resigned. The offer was a slap in the face on one of the great players for this team. He also played another 7 years after he left, was still productive as he set the NFL record for most yards on int returns, plus he doubled the number of INT's since he left.
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

hood wont be ready to play full time or even part time this or next year....its too hard of a position to just pick up and he hasnt been all that impressive. he will play on 3rd down cause hes a goood pass rusher but the run game has never been his thing. whether the have good things to say or not hes been getting schooled by some ****** linemen so far in camp

My Mood
    Impatient
    I was waiting for your response, Train, I knew it was coming, just wasnt sure when.

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I was waiting for your response, Train, I knew it was coming, just wasnt sure when.
    Why? This have been one of his more positiv post about hood - It actually leaves him with a chance to make the team. Besides, he is right. playing the Steelers 3-4 defence, your DE's isnt supposed to rush the passer. If they make a sack now and then, thats fine, but their primary role is to open gabs for our LBs and / or fill gaps in running situations. Hood is not very good at that, at all. He is a monster in rushing the passer, but he kind of fails at stopping the run like A. Smith and Kiesel, which is why he'll have to learn a lot before being even close to start.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Why? This have been one of his more positiv post about hood - It actually leaves him with a chance to make the team. Besides, he is right. playing the Steelers 3-4 defence, your DE's isnt supposed to rush the passer. If they make a sack now and then, thats fine, but their primary role is to open gabs for our LBs and / or fill gaps in running situations. Hood is not very good at that, at all. He is a monster in rushing the passer, but he kind of fails at stopping the run like A. Smith and Kiesel, which is why he'll have to learn a lot before being even close to start.
    The same thing was said when we let Kimo go to the Jets after sbxl. Keisel was a third down type of guy who had been know as a pass rusher and had some key sacks and qb pressures that season. The question was, could he hold up against the run? Guys like that can still use their speed at the point of attack in the run game. As long as they aren't creating gaps by speed rushing six yards into the backfield. That's why you here coaches talking about being "gap sound". Guys like ziggy and diesel can excel in this d by playing disciplined gap sound defense against the run and adding more on passing downs! It's a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    The same thing was said when we let Kimo go to the Jets after sbxl. Keisel was a third down type of guy who had been know as a pass rusher and had some key sacks and qb pressures that season. The question was, could he hold up against the run? Guys like that can still use their speed at the point of attack in the run game. As long as they aren't creating gaps by speed rushing six yards into the backfield. That's why you here coaches talking about being "gap sound". Guys like ziggy and diesel can excel in this d by playing disciplined gap sound defense against the run and adding more on passing downs! It's a win-win.
    Kiesel did take like 4 years to get there though
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

i never said he wouldnt make the team, i said hes a bad fit and a reach for the project he would be. hes a talented player, just not the best fit for what we need....hence the reason i hated the pick considering kiesel was just the project for a 7th round guy

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Kiesel did take like 4 years to get there though
    Kiesel stepped up when needed, he wasn't being groomed nor was he being paid first round money... Hood is! It wasn't like we had bums in kimo and a- smith and we were all praying for the day Brett Keisel could fill the role! Point being: hood was drafted for versitility to potentially play across the d-line. He was also drafted, most likely, for depth and contract reasons coming up in 2010. This kinda similar to us drafting Timmons. He was a versitile player drafted for depth and insurance incase the absence of Joey Porter couldn't be filled by first year starter James Harrison! And looked how that worked out! Have some faith fellas!

Its not like i don't have any faith. I like hood as a player, i like his attitude and all, i just don't think he is a good fit in our defence, especially not since we drafted him as our first pick. I guess we'll see, but i am having a hard time seeing him starting over Kiesel in the next couple of years.

Thread Information