Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers: Speedy Timmons adds new dimension

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Steelers: Speedy Timmons adds new dimension

Forget about a competition with Larry Foote. The best battle for Lawrence Timmons was always whether he could close faster on the ball than Troy Polamalu, the original Tasmanian Devil. It was a competition his teammates would like to see. And none of them are ready to discount the 245-pound inside linebacker.

"They're neck and neck," said inside linebacker James Farrior.

"I don't know," cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "It would be close."

In just two years with the Steelers, Timmons' explosiveness and ability to close on a ballcarrier are already the stuff of legend. Now, entering his third season as the first player drafted by Mike Tomlin, he has a chance to showcase his awesome physical ability on a full-time basis, not just as a blitzing, pass-covering linebacker who spent his first two seasons playing mostly in the team's substitution packages (nickel and dime defenses).

And his teammates on the NFL's No. 1 defense seem just as eager to have Timmons be an every-down player, as he prepares to become a starter in the league.

"He's probably one of the best athletes we have on the team," said Farrior, Foote's long-time partner at inside linebacker. "He's very explosive."

"He just has rockets in his butt," said defensive end Brett Keisel. "He can run like I haven't seen a lot of guys run."

The Steelers granted Foote's wish in the offseason and released him after five years as one of their starting inside linebackers, clearing the way for Timmons to step in to what is arguably the best group of linebackers in the NFL. Timmons is not a run-stuffing linebacker such as Foote; rather, he has the speed and athleticism to be a defensive playmaker -- a player who can blitz from any direction but also drop into coverage against running backs, tight ends and, on occasion, wide receivers.

And, because he played in all the substitution packages, Timmons will become an every-down player with the Steelers, something Foote did not do.

"It's not a bad trade, either way," Townsend said. "It's a plus for our team. Foote was a great player. Timmons is going to be a great player."

Foote was a five-year starter after being drafted in the fourth round in 2002, but he asked to be released in the offseason because he knew he was going to phased out for Timmons -- something he had known almost from the time Timmons was the 15th overall selection in 2007. Also, Foote was due to make nearly $3 million this season and was unwilling to take a pay cut.

One week after Foote was released, he signed a one-year contract with his hometown Detroit Lions, a move that took him from the top of the NFL to the absolute bottom.

"He was a very smart player," Farrior said. "He helped me out a lot. I'm looking forward to working with Timmons, but I feel like I'm going to have to help him out a lot more than he's helping me."

"A huge run stuffer," Keisel said. "Foote was great at getting his nose right up in there and stuffing the run. And we lose great leader in the locker room. But that's the way football is. Every year you lose a friend."

And sometimes you gain a great player.

Timmons' athleticism is nearly unmatched on the team. He has lined up at just about every position on the field, except for nose tackles, and is often asked to cover running backs and wide receivers.

And, with the possible exception of Polamalu, there isn't another player on the team who closes on the ball faster and with more explosion than Timmons, even after adding nearly 10 pounds in the offseason.

"I don't know if Troy can come through faster than Timmons," said outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who was drafted in the second round behind Timmons in 2007. "He comes through with so much power and explosion. He's not scared to take on an offensive lineman. You don't find guys like that a lot. Usually those guys are scared to take on those offensive linemen."

Said Townsend: "Once [Timmons] pushes that foot down to go, he's going. He gets there in a hurry."

Even if it took him three years to get his chance to start.

He is an easy upgrade over Foote. Foote was solid but would not do or be anything special. Timmons will be a a hell of a player in the middle of that stud "D"!
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm really excited to see Lawrence Timmons this year as a starter........I still think he needs to work on stopping the turn and he may never be a great run defender but I think he can be adequate in the run game and add that with his skills to make big plays then I have no problems with Timmons as a starter.....

Foote was great against the run but really wasn't a great blitzer....Larry would add a sack here and there....But Timmons had 5-6 sacks last year as a backup......The Steelers havn't had many ILB that can blitz like Timmons....Chad Brown and Kendrell Bell are the only two I can think of from the early 90-s and on......Plus Bell only had two good years before his career went to crap......

Without a doubt one of the best young linebackers in the league (along with LaMarr). Seeing him in person is something special...he times his blitz's so perfectly and so quickly that when he gets to the line the O line has no time to react. He put up 5.5 sacks as a situational player and a backup last season. I don't think 10 sacks is out of the question for him this year as a starter and an every down backer. LaMarr Woodley, James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, and James Harrison. Does it really get better than that in a linebacking corps? You have to two outside pass rushers who are ridiculously strong and deceptively fast to go a long with one of the smartest MLBs and captains, and a freak athlete who is strong, fast, and can do anything anyone asks him. What more could you ask for in a linebacking corps?

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm happy about the progress Timmons has made, i have his jersey also! the thing that pisses me off is his @$$ hole agent Drew .R . You know he's gonna try an break the bank when Timmons contract is up, so enjoy him now while we have him.....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXBURGH View Post
    I'm happy about the progress Timmons has made, i have his jersey also! the thing that pisses me off is his @$$ hole agent Drew .R . You know he's gonna try an break the bank when Timmons contract is up, so enjoy him now while we have him.....
    completely untrue, the rooneys like working with rosenhaus and alot of teams do....your just another one that believes hes a huge ******** because of TO, chad johnson and lance briggs

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I'm really excited to see Lawrence Timmons this year as a starter........I still think he needs to work on stopping the turn and he may never be a great run defender but I think he can be adequate in the run game and add that with his skills to make big plays then I have no problems with Timmons as a starter.....

Foote was great against the run but really wasn't a great blitzer....Larry would add a sack here and there....But Timmons had 5-6 sacks last year as a backup......The Steelers havn't had many ILB that can blitz like Timmons....Chad Brown and Kendrell Bell are the only two I can think of from the early 90-s and on......Plus Bell only had two good years before his career went to crap......

Chad Brown would have been so Ridiculously Good if he'd stayed in Pitt he would be talked about as one of the all-time greats to play here. He could cover the pass, run, blitz... Was great as ILB or OLB...
    After he left, he was a 1 time pro bowler.... in Seattle!
    Bell could only stuff the run and was a sick blitzer, but couldn't cover worth squat!!
    Now that he is in KC, has ANYONE even heard of him since....

I thought so

NOPE!!
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

timmons is the most explosive pass rusher on the team, and hes sick in coverage...the man can go stride for stride with holmes....his downfall is run support, he just has trouble shedding blockers, but for what he brings to the table its a small price to pay

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    i cant wait to see him full time... you could tell last year he was gonna be a star
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    timmons is the most explosive pass rusher on the team, and hes sick in coverage...the man can go stride for stride with holmes....his downfall is run support, he just has trouble shedding blockers, but for what he brings to the table its a small price to pay
    He should have gained some weight this off-season to help the run-stuffing so that should be interesting to watch
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Draft Pick
    You can't discount the experience that Foote brought to the table though. It would have been nice if he'd stuck around for another year, even if it was in the backup role. Won't be winning any games in his "hometown".

Thread Information