Thread: Tribune Review: Injuries thin linebacker ranks

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tribune Review: Injuries thin linebacker ranks

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_479101.html

The Steelers aren't quite to the point of holding auditions at their South Side practice facility.

They will enter another game depleted at linebacker and thin enough on the inside that Joey Porter could see time there when the Steelers host the New Orleans Saints.

Starting inside linebackers James Farrior and Larry Foote have been slowed by groin and rib injuries, respectively, and reserve Clint Kriewaldt, like Farrior, has yet to practice this week, because of a bad back.

The Steelers did get good news Thursday when Foote was upgraded from questionable to probable for Sunday's 4:15 p.m. game at Heinz Field.

Farrior is listed as questionable, though he said he is "optimistic" he will play.

"It's like a virus that's going around with the linebackers group," Farrior said.

Indeed, the injury bug has already claimed Arnold Harrison (knee) for the season.

Harrison made his first NFL start last month in place of Porter, who missed two games with a hamstring problem.

James Harrison would have started for Porter, but he has been out the last month with a high ankle sprain.

With Kriewaldt likely unavailable for Sunday's game - he is listed as doubtful - the Steelers don't have many options if Farrior or Foote can't go against the Saints.

If both miss the game, the Steelers have real problems.

"Larry worked (Thursday in practice); James did not," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said. "We'll see how they are again (today)."
    We can't afford any more injuries, half our LB is either gone or injured. This really sucks ! What is normally the strength of our team is now the walking wounded.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    again, what does it matter??? i think all these injuries that are gonna start popping up is just the guys faking it......and i wanna see rian wallace play anyway so i guess this could be good
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wallace has also played outside so he could be even more benefit to us. Plus Chad spent the first few years of his career with us at inside linebacker opposite Kirkland so we do have some options if need be.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well they can't do much worse than they have been as a team so let's see some of the younger guys play. Granted the LB spot hasn't really been a huge problem for us.

House of Steel
    I could go audition for the Steelers ILB job. I am too damn small at 5'10 and 240 lbs. I did play a little defense and was able to sneak through the smallest holes and sack the living daylights out of the QB. I had 3 sacks in one game in High School. That QB told me at the end of the game, how in the hell do you possess such speed as a ILB? I told him my size and my instinct. He patted me on the back and said, you had a hell of a game. We stayed in touch for a couple seasons and then went our way.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Wallace turns out to be a beast, assuming he gets some playing time, we won't have to worry about a starting LB when Farrior retires since Wallace would be ready to step in.

House of Steel
    I was about to say that also. I think this will be addressed in the draft.

The only way this season could get any worse is if the league finds someway to take away the 2 wins that the Steeelers do have this year!

Thread Information