Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To all Colon haters....

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Rookie Free Agent

To all Colon haters....

The Steelers might have to pay even more if they want to keep right tackle Willie Colon, who is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. The coaches not only think Colon, 26, was the team's best offensive lineman last season; they think he is one of the best at his position in the National Football League.

"I think Willie Colon is as good a right tackle as there is in this league," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

"He's as good a run-blocking right tackle as there is in the league," said offensive line coach Larry Zierlein. "He's an excellent drive blocker and his pass protection has improved tremendously. He's a lot better pass blocker than people want to give him credit for."
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09215...#ixzz0NBSbeGMT

Just what I've been saying all offseason. Colon is the only lineman I would actually feel bad if we lose to FA. The man has everything you want in a lineman- strength, mean attitude, never gives up, and uses all that to get over his physical shortcomings

But of course people only see his false starts/holdings and immediately think he sucks. And to anyone that thinks Arians and Zierlein don't know what they are talking about- hey, they are the professionals here

I wish kemo and starks would have colon's attitude. Both of them have better physical attributes than willie but can't seem to get it together in the mental/attitude part

The article has some good points. I don't want to lose any of our FA next year but I know its unavoidable and we will lose atleast a couple. As much as i would hate to lose any of them, I would rather see Colon leave rather than Casey Hampton (Even though he's getting up there in age), Willie Parker (hope he can return to form) , Ryan Clark, and even Jeff Reed. He isn't "bad", i'll give you that, but his mistakes sometimes are game changing. Remember the giants game last year? 60+ yard TD from Ben to Nate called back from a holding call. remember the score of that game? 21-14 Giants. Now I know he isn't the only reason we lost that game (Ben's INTs, no defensive pressure, 0 sacks, James Harrison's long snap). Good news is he is young and has drastically improved. Bottom line is I don't want any of them leaving. Damn the salary cap.

Rookie Free Agent
    It would be bad if the steelers lost any of there OL

i like colon, despite his physical limitations and the occasional holding hes a good RT

The only thing i can say is that if he messed up , it was at all the right times. It certainly did not show up in the play-offs .The whole o-line showed up when it counted . Despite what the nation may believe , i think this could be a strong suit for us this season . the o-line survived , and got better as the season progressed . Tell me i am wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i like colon, despite his physical limitations and the occasional holding hes a good RT
    Eh, I still think Guard would be a better fit for him.

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Me too....I still would love to see him at RG, I'm sure the coaches know something I don't though.

Willie Colon in for a Starks-like Deal?

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will have to be prepared to significantly pay OT Willie Colon when he becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2009 season. Colon could be in line for more money than the $26.3 million the team paid to retain OT Max Starks this offseason. The coaches not only think Colon was the team's best offensive lineman last season; they think he is one of the best at his position in the National Football League. "I think Willie Colon is as good a right tackle as there is in this league," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has Arians gone completely gone mad?
    Last edited by DanRooney; 08-04-2009 at 05:06 AM.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    i always though he was ok... my problem with the OL was/is RG and here eventually with the C.

Sounds like from everything Ive read RG is totally up in the air for someone to win the job.

C IMO is a finger in the damn. Hartwig is acceptable but not a long term answer. We still could have Mehan

I wouldnt be surprised to see Stapleton get cut if he gets beat out by someone. Unless there is an injury to a C that is long standing.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Starter
    maybe there is something i am missing , but to say that colon is one of the best in the league at his position ?

Thread Information