Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp News & Updates

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel

Training Camp News & Updates

Jim C Wexell who covers the Pittsburgh Steelers for steelcityinsider.com has been tweeting all day...

here is last couple (most of which have come with-in the last 3 hours):
    steelers not talking extension with ryan clark.

steelers talking extension with Reed and Kiesel.

since james harrison got his money, Donovan Woods is now the meanest guy on the team

Justin Hartwig said he didnt injure foot this offseason, but told me privately he wont be in run test. said will practice 1st day.

espn reported Vick at airport? Hilarious! Not a shred of truth...

Hampton must've lost 40 pounds. He didn't stop to answer questions tho. Colon is in better shape, too.

harrison just showed up in a smart car. Tomlin came out laughing and the 2 drove off. pix will be everywhere.

Essex in great shape. Said he lost "a ton" of weight. Ready for battle at RG. Could very well be the favorite now.
    https://twitter.com/jimwexell
    http://twitter.com/blackswampsp

--- Added 7/31/2009 at 05:19 PM ---

more info...
    all here, all passed run test. tomlin pleased.
    stefan logan on PUwith sprained foot. media not allowed to cover run test this year, but from top of hill it appears Hampton finished fine. tomlin pc next.

minor injuries according to tomlin: heath miller had surgery early in summer on sports hernia. more to follow

hartwig will sit early with big right toe injury. townsend and polamalu mild hamstrings. stapleton swelling in knee.
    Last edited by Zachintosh66; 07-31-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Stapleton replaced Hartwig at C this morning. Why did Hartwig lie about toe injury?
    2 minutes ago from txt

jimwexellBen spoke to a media mob after practice. He was combative, as should b expected, and only answered fb questions.
    4 minutes ago from txt

--- Added 8/1/2009 at 10:40 AM ---

Sepulveda hit many rockets this morning. Stud.

Dermontti Dawson, Earl Holmes, Jerry O, Mike Shanahan on sidelines this morning.

--- Added 8/1/2009 at 12:21 PM ---

here some steeler bits form adam schefter:

As good as Rashard Mendenhall looks, still think Willie Parker is primary ball carrier. Willie told me this is best he's felt in two years.
    1 minute ago from web

Shanahan going to study Steelers for a few days, then on to New England to study the Pats. Learning from two of the best organizations.

Steelers Dir. of Football Ops Kevin Colbert took Mike Shanahan to lunch and set him up to study tape after. Steelers beyond accomodating.
    26 minutes ago from web

It's very early, but the one Steeler rookie standout so far is cornerback Keenan Lewis. Looks like he could have a future here.

Encouraging sign for Steelers: WR Limas Sweed talking about how the game has slowed down for him. Steelers would like him to be #3 WR.
    about 1 hour ago from mobile web

Rashard Mendenhall - bounced a big outside run. Looked good. Looked fast. Looked healthy.
    about 2 hours ago from web

The other Mike and Mike: Mike Tomlin now talking with Mike Shanahan. Big welcome from Tomlin.
    about 3 hours ago from web

Fact of week; Steelers DC Dick LeBeau, 71, shot his age in golf 24 times this summer. 14 were in 60's. Holy moley.
    about 4 hours ago from web

Mike Shanahan and Bob Slowik standing by Steelers defense, studying how the world champs do their thing.

World champion Steelers on field. Gorgeous day. No Dan Rooney, which is odd. He now lives in Ireland.

--- Added 8/1/2009 at 12:22 PM ---

wexell adds:

Publicly, Steelers say they cant afford any more extensions. Privately, my sources insist, they want to reel in Keisel and Reed.

--- Added 8/1/2009 at 01:28 PM ---

@Adam_Schefter: Steelers liking Ziggy Hood. Great attitude, was raised right. Humble, hard working. He's a Pittsburgh guy - you can tell

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

My Mood
    Clowns
    I was at Latrobe today and much like you said Zach Keenan Lewis is opening a lot of eyes early on in his first full day of camp. He looks like the real deal and could definitely fight for playing time at cornerback and be in on nickel and dime defense. The guy looks like a real sleeper to be a big time player for the Steelers this season...

Tailgate Coordinator
    Here's a pretty good site for training camp news:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/PIT

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is good to see, all the players ready to go and starting off on a good note. They may not be saying much publicly but you know they are working with Reed and Kiesel for sure and the fact that we don't have much at Safety in the way of quality depth means that Clark has a good shot at coming back. they'll continue to work with these guys I'm sure and I would expect we'll see atleast 1 more extension signed before camp starts.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

hey TG - just a point to ponder...

weve all heard rumors of Deshea moving to saftey. If they dont offer Clark a contract, this sounds more and more like truth rather than rumor.

Two words: Ryan Mundy.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Pimp

Big Play Willie Gay "Welcome's" The Tank.

Two days into training camp, running back Frank "The Tank" Summers got his welcome-to-the-NFL moment. Near the end of practice Sunday, cornerback William Gay lowered his shoulder into the 5-foot-10, 240-pound rookie on a running play. The collision jarred the ball loose, giving Gay the hit of the day in what turned out to be a lively practice.

"When you carry a nickname like 'The Tank,' guys are going to try you," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "They want him to prove that that nickname is earned. That's the story of the National Football League. This is a show-me game. He's starting to understand that."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_636497.html
    Last edited by 86WARD; 08-03-2009 at 07:37 AM.

Wow, I was bummed I couldnt make up to Latrobe the past couple of days but this is helping me keep up to date with Steeler info. Thanks guys!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...nnsi&type=lgns
    [quote]

By Ross Tucker (SI.com)

Roethlisberger had a mixed day at practice on Sunday, alternately making outstanding throws and getting picked off. He should be aided this season by a better supporting cast, even though Nate Washington is gone. Second-year wideout Limas Sweed made a couple of outstanding catches and looks ready to step up his play this season. Rookie speedster Mike Wallace flashed the elite speed that played a part in the Steelers deciding to take him in the third round. Most importantly for Roethlisberger, the offensive line should be much improved.

Casey Hampton is the keystone of the defense—no matter how much he weighs. Any team that runs a 3-4 knows it all starts with the nose guard. If you don’t have a player sturdy enough to hold the point against constant double teams, you might as well just give up.....

The Steelers offensive line is just good enough to help Pittsburgh win it all again. The unit was kept intact this offseason by the re-signing of Max Starks, Trai Essex, Willie Colon, and Chris Kemoeatu. All four are still fairly young and approaching their prime. Colon, in particular, is the typical ornery right tackle, and vastly underrated. The linemen know what they accomplished last year and realize this year they should be even better....

As I will point out in my column this Wednesday, continuity and chemistry are two of the most important factors for success along the offensive line, and the Steelers certainly have that. Playing together for another year and the confidence of winning it all should only serve to help this group. Adding young draft picks to the mix like Kraig Urbik and A.Q. Shipley could contribute to their depth.

New Face, New Place
    You know a team feels pretty good about its Super Bowl championship roster when the only real free agent of note is coming in to compete for the third wide receiver spot. The Steelers signed Shaun McDonald to vie for playing time with Sweed and others.

The Steelers drafted a younger version of McDonald in Mississippi speedster Mike Wallace in the third round, so McDonald’s role on the team is not yet defined. The good thing for McDonald is that when the Steelers bring in a free agent to supplement their roster, whether it be James Farrior, Justin Hartwigor Ryan Clark, it is usually with a purpose. At a minimum, the additions of McDonald and Wallace add significant speed to the receiving corps and provides some depth for the unit in case Sweed never comes around.

Rookie Report
    In typical Steeler fashion, no rookies are slated to crack the starting lineup. The most likely candidate, third-round pick Urbik at right guard, had a slow start, which makes it more likely that incumbent Darnell Stapleton or veteran challenger Trai Essex will start. That means the “rook” with the best chance for playing time early is first-round pick Evander “Ziggy” Hood.

Hood is athletic enough to play defensive end. However, the beauty of his body type and skill set is that he’s also strong enough to hold down the nose tackle position if necessary. That means he will likely get significant snaps in the defensive line rotation as a rookie and then probably man one of the defensive line spots in 2010 since Hampton and Brett Keisel are in the final years of their contracts and long-time trench warrior Aaron Smith has seen his best days.

Memorable Image
    Watching James Harrison and James Farrior screaming at the third-string defense as it attempted to keep the third-string offense from scoring toward the end of practice. It epitomized what Steeler football is all about. Both guys, each of whom already has a pair of Super Bowl Rings, implored the backups to keep the offense out of the end zone. You could tell the catcalls from the veterans got the younger players excited, knowing the starters were watching.

The best part of the scene was how pure the furor was. They were dead serious. They did not want the offense to score and they wanted the young Steeler defenders to know what it means to be a Steeler. The ensuing couple of plays were the most intense of the day. Though the offense finally scored on third down, the real winners were the Steeler fans and everyone who believes the mentality in Pittsburgh is just a little bit different.

Parting Shots
    Things are going well for a franchise when it can extend the contracts of two of its starters at the game’s highest paid positions, other than quarterback, at well below market value. Both left tackle Max Starks and pass rushing outside linebacker James Harrison signed long-term deals that are decidedly less than what their peers at those elite positions around the NFL are getting paid these days.

People have long talked about how the Patriots are able to get players to play or stay for less. Well, the Steelers now have the same dynamic unfolding. “I really just wanted to have some security and know that I was going to a part of a team with legitimate championship expectations every season, and as soon as they gave me something that showed they really wanted me here, I was happy,” said Starks.

The master of defensive ingenuity in the NFL is over 70 and his name is Dick LeBeau. I mean, think about that for a second, in an era of technological advances from devices like the iPod to the social networking platform available via Twitter, the guy coming up with the most new schemes on defense in the NFL is a septuagenarian. LeBeau shows absolutely no signs of slowing down. With a talented returning roster, why should he?

The signing of tight end Heath Miller was stabilizing for a position where the Steelers have long had talented, versatile performers and depth. And even though the team seems pleased with backup Matt Spaeth, his subpar blocking performance in the Super Bowl had to contribute to the Steelers feeling they needed to keep Miller as the starter.

New projected starting corner William Gay has adopted the physical mindset his mates in the secondary displayed the last couple of seasons. During one team period, Gay smoked Wallace in the back after he caught a pass; it was the best hit of the day, by far.

It might be a surprise, but the truth is that the Steelers don’t really talk about last year’s Super Bowl season very much. No talk about defending their title, no discussion about starting anew, they just move on like nothing happened at all. They feel like they get their opponents’ best every week because they are the Pittsburgh Steelers, so they don’t anticipate this season being any different.
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 08-03-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Thread Information