Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportsbeat cancelled.

Tailgate Coordinator

Angry Sportsbeat cancelled.

Don't know where this belongs, but some one asked:

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...cancelled.aspx

`Savran on Sportsbeat'' to be cancelled

By Bob Smizik | Tuesday 9:05 a.m.

``Savran on Sportsbeat,’’ the longest running sports show in the Pittsburgh market, will leave the air permanently in the days ahead and the future of host Stan Savran at FSN Pittsburgh is in doubt.

Liberty Media, which has owned FSN for little more than a year, made the decision to cancel the show, which has been on the air since March 11, 1991, and then known as ``Sportsbeat.’’

Savran joined the show about a year later and for close to a decade teamed with Guy Junker. When Junker Stan Savranwas fired in May of 2003, the show changed its name its current one a few months later.

Savran is believed to be working without a contract and could follow his show out the door. According to sources, he is currently engaged in negotiations. His contract either has expired or is about to expire.

Executives at FSN Pittsburgh did not respond to requests for comments about the cancellation of ``Savran on Sportsbeat'' or the future of Savran.''

The decision to cancel the show, while shocking, still was not totally unexpected given the current economy and the lack of commitment to original programming that Liberty Media has shown. It has nothing to do with the job Savran was doing. Station management continues to hold him in the highest regard. Ratings have been as good or better than in the past.This was strictly financial.

Based on how it operates in other cities, Liberty stands strongly behind continuing to carry the games of its partners, the Penguins and Pirates, but wants little else in the way of programming. The station already has cutback in other original programming areas.

With Savran's show leaving the air, it will probably result in job reductions at FSN. Not only might Savran be out, but so could people who worked in the production end of the show.

For close to two decades, ``Sportsbeat'' and ``Savran on Sportsbeat'' has been the face of the station. Savran, who previously worked as a sports anchor at WTAE and at several radio stations as a talk-show host, has been the man whose opinions dedicated Steelers, Penguins and Pirates fans wanted to hear.

As Chuck Finder wrote in the Post-Gazette following the firing of Junker and the changing of the show's name;

``Fox Sports Net types are tinkering with the franchise that has been the channel's face, the channel's spirit and, outside of relatively fluctuating numbers for Penguins and Pirates broadcasts, the channel's ratings stability since its . . . inception.''

Savran, a native of Cleveland who has never lost his love of the Indians despite being a Pittsburgher for more than 30 years, began his Pittsburgh career at WWSW (now Fox Sports Radio 970) in 1976. He later did talks shows at KQV, WTAE (now 1250 ESPN) and back to Fox Sports Radio 970, in addition to reporting and anchoring at WTAE.

After he left WTAE, his background and following made him the natural choice to take over ``Sportsbeat.'' In that role, he continued to develop a devoted following, which, thanks to satellite, stretched to Pittsburgh sports fans across the country.

He's built his strong reputation on tireless work and strong opinions and easily is the most trusted sports voice in Pittsburgh radio and television.

Savran will continue to co-host a 10 a.m. to noon talk show with Junker on 1250 ESPN.

Voice your opinion to Liberty Media here -

Email them: jhuber@libertysportsgroup.com
    Call Them: Ph:412-316-3800

On the Thursday show, Stan urged viewers to email -

feedback@libertysportsgroup.com

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Addicted
    Thank u my friend it was me who asked about that

How do you cancel Sportsbeat? Come on people!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    What a bunch of ****! Sportsbeat is a staple in Pittsburgh programming and for those of us not in the market but can still get FSN PIT , we loved this show!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Can't believe they canceled it.

Banned
    it always stinks when a local icon gets tossed asunder

Stan Guy Love the show! I haven't heard that in years but I'll never forget it. That and listening to Myron in the evenings. Great talk radio, many memories.

One thing for sure in today's corporate world is every new manegment team thinks they know a better way. The only thing for sure is there will be changes constantly. It's sad but a fact that we have to deal with.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!
    I CANNOT WATCH AS I LIKE DURING THE SUMMER, BUT I LOVE THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE GUESTS,PLAYERS AND STAN'S POINT OF VIEW ON THINGS GOING ON IN THE PITTSBURGH SPORTS WORLD!!!
    CORPORATE JACK ASSES!!!!!
    YOU DO NOT KNOW BETTER ALL THE TIME, OR EVEN SOME OF THE TIME!!!!!
    DO NOT **** WITH A STAPLE ICON !!!!
    JACK OFF IDIOTS!!!!!!
    Last edited by Callax; 08-04-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    I freakin cried TWICE when I watched the finale. The show except the first 3 months of the show had been airing during my entire childhood.

My Mood
    Angry
    WTF!!
    This is an Outrage.
    This means no more Steelers "Monday" show with Stan and Tunch and the "Tunchastrator" at 6:00??
    Living in Virginia....this was the only show where I could get great Steeler postgame
    analysis.
    Whoever came up with this "Jack-***" idea should be Tarred and Feathered!!!

Thread Information