Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin: Steelers will deal with distractions

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Pimp

Tomlin: Steelers will deal with distractions

Mike Tomlin has said he will not use the term "repeat" when it comes to the Steelers' quest for another Super Bowl title. "My mentality in regard to distractions is changing, and that's probably how I'm growing into the job," Tomlin said. "If you're going to be good, distractions are a part of it. I'm more concerned about embracing that and dealing with it and performing in the midst of it as opposed to being resistant to it." Tomlin said the Steelers have to stay focused on improving — and that includes him. "I better get better, and getting better doesn't necessarily always mean a better outcome," said Tomlin, who won a Super Bowl at age 36, making him the youngest coach to accomplish that feat. "I understand that. I'm always trying to be the best I can be. I'm as critical of myself as anyone. I think that's appropriate from a leadership standpoint. Hopefully I'll do a cleaner, more efficient job of (coaching) in '09."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_635342.html

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Mike Tomlin has said he will not use the term "repeat" when it comes to the Steelers' quest for another Super Bowl title. "My mentality in regard to distractions is changing, and that's probably how I'm growing into the job," Tomlin said. "If you're going to be good, distractions are a part of it. I'm more concerned about embracing that and dealing with it and performing in the midst of it as opposed to being resistant to it." Tomlin said the Steelers have to stay focused on improving — and that includes him. "I better get better, and getting better doesn't necessarily always mean a better outcome," said Tomlin, who won a Super Bowl at age 36, making him the youngest coach to accomplish that feat. "I understand that. I'm always trying to be the best I can be. I'm as critical of myself as anyone. I think that's appropriate from a leadership standpoint. Hopefully I'll do a cleaner, more efficient job of (coaching) in '09."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_635342.html
    These are the kind of things you want to hear coming out of Tomlin's mouth. This is exactly why I believe the Steelers under Tomlin's guidance coming off a Super Bowl win last season will not get complacent or take anything for granted like Bill Cowher did in 2006 coming off a Super Bowl win. This team will be more focused and be more ready to deal with the whole aspect of "repeating" and that's why they will have an excellent chance to do just that...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If this were Cowher still coaching I would be a lot more worried about this team than I am now. Cowher never seemed to be able to keep the team focused consistently through the season, one week we'd be up and the next week we'd lose to a team we should beat. A distraction like this with Tomlin at the controls will be dealt with better than we've seen before so I don't forsee this being that big of a deal in terms of team focus.

You guys have a good coach!!

What distraction is he talking about?? Did I miss something? lol

Starter
    jeez ... i dont think i have heard one person say anything negative about Tomlin since I joined this site ..not that there should be a meaningful volume, but SB 43 was won w/ a team that BC built .. dont get me wrong, i really like tomlin ... just stirring the pot a little
    Last edited by andyg1984; 07-28-2009 at 07:36 PM.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Give credit where it is due....BC didn't do it again before he left with the same team and coordinators now did he.....
    I'm a BC fan, but MT is the future of this franchise and we are behind him 100%

Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post
    jeez ... i dont think i have heard one person say anything negative about Tomlin since I joined this site ..not that there should be a meaningful volume, but SB 43 was won w/ a team that BC built .. dont get me wrong, i really like tomlin ... just stirring the pot a little
    What's not to like?He has handled himself like a pro. In a short period of time he controlled the Hampton over weight situation,the Holmes pot suspension, and a team that was nursing a Super bowl hangover. No disrespect to BC,he won a title for us but MT brings an energy to this club that is needed. P.S. He was also smart enough to keep Le Beau and the 3-4 instead of the D he was familiar with.
    Last edited by Lunchbucket; 07-28-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Starter
    guys, read my post a little more carefully ..haha .. i really like Tomlin and i think he has done an outstanding job.. but lets be honest - the cupboard was stocked... it is just right now every1 is giving that "he can do no wrong" vibe out .. this herd mentality is not what blogs are for .. lol

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post
    guys, read my post a little more carefully ..haha .. i really like Tomlin and i think he has done an outstanding job.. but lets be honest - the cupboard was stocked... it is just right now every1 is giving that "he can do no wrong" vibe out .. this herd mentality is not what blogs are for .. lol
    But, so far at least, he has done no wrong!

Thread Information