Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweed Struggling Early

Bookmark and Share
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

Sweed Struggling Early

Not good for Sweed ... I said the moment they signed McDonald from Free Agency that because he is a crafty veteran who runs decent routes, he probably has the best chance of being our #3 WR next year.

Although it’s football in shorts, our favorite insider Jim Wexell said in his latest update on Steelers OTA’s that Sweed won’t be the team’s no. 3 WR this year. He said the favorite right now has to be Shaun MCDonald, not that he has shown much either. The reason? No one else appears capable of running those inside routes that veteran slot receivers can run. Sweed also had a rough day on Wednesday catching the football, with 2 big drops.

- And the person who Wex feels has the only real chance of beating out McDonald for the open slot receiver spot? Street free agent WR Brandon Williams.

- A big day for punt returners. Wex said that Stefan Logan, who teammates have nicknamed “Half-pint”, will have a fan following by training camp because of his quickness. Apparently, Tomlin is taking a liking to the guy as well. After Logan went deep to snag a ball over his shoulder, Tomlin asked him if he had ever played baseball before, and told him to catch the next deep one like a center fielder. A few kicks later, Logan took his eyes off the ball, ran to a spot, just like he was Willie Mays, turned, picked up the ball and caught it easily. Tomlin’s response? “There you go!”

- While Logan impressed, Wex said he believes 5th-rounder Joe Burnett is the leader for the PR gig, showing poise and polish beyond his years. He believes Burnett is a natural punt-catcher and knows exactly what he wants to do with the ball and where he wants to go. He asked an assistant coach if Burnett has a good chance to be the no. 1 PR. The AC said Burnett has a “GREAT” chance to be the man. We all know who is the no. 1 KR, he of the 4.28 speed in the 40 and stylist Mohawk, Mr. Mike “Just Watch Me Take It 2 The House” Wallace.

- Wex noted that 3rd-round rookie CB Keenan Lewis flashed pro recovery speed to break up a deep pass intended for Brandon Williams on one play. Did I mention before that Wex, D. Lolley and a few scouts attending the Steelers practices really like this Williams kid?

- Catch of the day went to Heath Miller, who turned CB/S Roy Lewis around on one play to get behind him and haul in a deep pass. On the next play, Big Ben scrambled, motioned for TE Matt Spaeth to break deep, but he couldn’t lose Lewis, who broke up the pass.

That’s it for now.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...s-separate-ben
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Sweed will be the #3 receiver next season even with his struggles early on.

Glad to hear the rest of them are playing well.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Not worried yet, it is only OTA's.

I'm A "Champion"

Awaiting Seven...
    Give this guy a chance, it's only June. Sweed will find his groove.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael C. Smith View Post
    Give this guy a chance, it's only June. Sweed will find his groove.
    When?? He was drafted as and getting paid to be a WIDE RECIEVER!!

His "Give the guy a chance", was over at the end of last season. Time for him show why he was picked in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post

His "Give the guy a chance", was over at the end of last season. Time for him show why he was picked in the 2nd round.
    Sadly, not all WR turns out to be Calvin Johnson - WR's take time to develop, and thats just the way it is. Most WRs take at least 2 years before they are worth a damn. Take Plaxico Burress for an example.. He had an aweful rookie season, but owned the world in the following. Sweed may not own the world, but he'll be much better this year. I am expecting a lot from this guy, but i know that you have to be patient with them...

Its funny, seeing we are in lack of WR's Sweed needs to produce big numbers at once, or he'll be marked bum - If it were a LB, he could take hes sweet time, because - hey... its totally different >.> (this what not ment to you SteelerSal, im just tired of hearing people whining about Sweed)
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post

Agree 100%....You gave up a 2nd rounder for him, kid needs to be ready to hit the ground running...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Awaiting Seven...
    He's entering his second year, it's not like he is in his fourth or fifth season. Sorry to break the news to you, but wide receivers usually do not play like Jerry Rice in their first year. Terrell Owens, for example, struggled early in his career with San Francisco. Developing a solid wide receiver takes time.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    honestly kinda sounds like Washington at first... plenty of talent... cant catch the easy ones
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

I keep hearing how it takes WR's time to develop. Develop what? Hands to be able to hold onto the ball? He's got the speed. His route running and learning plays may take time upon entering the NFL, but for the love of pete he is supposed to be a pass catcher not a pass dropper. Hopefully he'll get the butterflies out and have a great camp followed by a breakout season!

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Thread Information