Thread: Tribune Review: Team reacts to "hunger" comments

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tribune Review: Team reacts to "hunger" comments

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...CTION=FOOTBALL

By ALAN ROBINSON
    AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Willie Parker's comments that the sagging Pittsburgh Steelers may have been overly satisfied with winning the Super Bowl didn't exactly unite his teammates. They apparently didn't divide them, either.

Wide receiver Hines Ward said he wishes that Parker hadn't been so outspoken, but his teammates must decide whether Parker's words apply to them now that the Steelers (2-6) have lost six of seven games.

"If you're not putting in the time and effort as much as the guy next to you, maybe it's not important to you to turn this thing around," Ward said Wednesday.

Alan Faneca doesn't dispute the notion that finally winning a championship came as a much-needed relief to a franchise that played in six AFC title games in 12 years before winning the Super Bowl.

"Being as close as we were for so many years, that did satisfy that hunger a little bit," Faneca said. "But I think, at the same time, myself and everybody came back in here ready and hungry to get another one. There's different types of hunger."

Parker, exasperated by a turnover-filled, 31-20 loss to Denver on Sunday that left the Steelers (2-6) trailing Baltimore by four games in the AFC North, was the first player to publicly speak out about a possible post-Super Bowl letdown.

"Last year, we were getting the job done, we just seemed hungrier," Parker said. "This year, it seems like we've already got what we want, what's the use? What's the use of going out there and selling out?"

Dating to the midpoint of last season, the Steelers have lost nine of 16 regular-season games - yet also won a Super Bowl during that span.
    Maybe this is just the motivational ticket we need to get our asses in gear combined with what Porter said about this sunday. The team may not agree with him out in the open but it definately should make everyone give themselves a gut check.

I'm liking this!!! You're right though TG this just might be the spark

The good thing is Parker didn't call out anyone and when he spoke, he spoke as a team! I'm starting to look forward to the game now!!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    The Steelers should of had a contest for fans to win a chance to go fire this team up about week 4.....lol I'm sure we could have done a fine job with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    The Steelers should of had a contest for fans to win a chance to go fire this team up about week 4.....lol I'm sure we could have done a fine job with that!
    I like that idea! The fan(s) could have called out individuals and not worried about dividing the locker room because they would probably never be in there ever again

My Mood
    Addicted
    That's right AZ! So we could let them have it!.....lol

Then run like hell!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Somehow I highly doubt any of us is going to outrun Willie Parker out of the stadium

House of Steel
    I could of least tied him, I probably could now. I run pretty damn fast for a fat ***.

Thread Information