Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stallworth pleads guilty, gets 30 days in jail

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine

Stallworth pleads guilty, gets 30 days in jail

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090616/...estrian_killed

MIAMI – Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth is going to serve 30 days in jail after pleading guilty in Florida to a DUI manslaughter charge.
    The plea deal announced Tuesday calls for the 28-year-old Stallworth to also serve 10 years' probation and do 1,000 community service hours for killing a pedestrian he hit with his car. Stallworth had faced up to 15 years in prison.
    Police say Stallworth was drinking at a hotel bar before the March 14 crash that killed 59-year-old construction worker Mario Reyes. Tests showed Stallworth's blood-alcohol content was .126.
    Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement with the Reyes' family. A person close to the negotiations told The Association Press about the agreement on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the deal.
    If this happened to MY husband, he'd be serving the 15 years, but because Stallworth has money, 30 days??? This is a travesty. I can't believe the state is ok with the "punishment".

I couldn't believe it when I saw this on ESPN this morning.
    Goes to show you, money and fame can get you out of anything.
    How pathetic!
    I'd be ashamed to be a Browns fan right now, and not just for the simple fact that they suck.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Thats B.S., 30 days for taking a life , there is something really wrong with your legal system I truly feel for the REYES Family

My Mood
    Chatty
    My only thought about this other than it being pure BS is that the Reyes family is illegal in this country and don't want to make a big stink. Money must be more important to his family than justice. I could be wrong about this but come on now...you are DRUNK and you KILL someone by hitting them with a car and you get 30 days in jail????? Something just isn't right. I believe his family took this hush money to keep their family protected in this country....

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    I understand what you're sayin Tampa, but even if the victim's family said not to prosecute at all, doesn't the state still have the right to make sure he pays for his crime? I've seen other instances (for example) where a wife doesn't want an abusive husband prosecuted, but at that point it's out of her hands, and it's then up to the state prosecutor.

Edited to add that (in other words) I think there's somethin "off" with the state on this. Sounds like somebody other than the family was paid off...
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 06-16-2009 at 06:50 PM.

My Mood
    Impatient
    I got to tell you, I hope Goodell at least suspends him for life. I cannot believe how much crap someone can get away with just for being an athlete.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Soooo if your going to kill anything in this world and you have money, make sure you kill a human, not a dog? Our justice system is so out of its mind in cases like this, its hard keep your faith in it.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Soooo if your going to kill anything in this world and you have money, make sure you kill a human, not a dog? Our justice system is so out of its mind in cases like this, its hard keep your faith in it.
    U mean to tell me that an dogs life is worth 23 months in the pen, an a human life is only worth 30 days? this so called justice system needs to be

Awaiting Seven...
    I am so disappointed with this verdict, it's a shame that athletes can get away with anything in today's world. I feel sorry for the victim's family.

My Mood
    Addicted
    That is absolutely insane! 30 days? I know people who have been held in jail 6 months over child support and this dude gets 30 for killing someone? What BS!

Thread Information