Thread: Steelers sign 3 draft picks.....

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Steelers sign 3 draft picks.....

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers announced today the signings of three 2009 draft picks ...

... cornerback Keenan Lewis, cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers. According to Scout.com's Adam Caplan, Burnett received a signing bonus of $116,600 and Summers received $115,000. Both players will make base salaries of $310,000 (2009), $395,000 (2010) and $480,000 (2011).

Lewis (6-0, 2008) was the third of the Steelers’ three third round selections (96th overall) in this year’s draft out of Oregon State. In 48 career starts Lewis recorded 117 tackles (81 solo), one sack and seven interceptions. Lewis was named Academic All-Pac 10 and All-Pac 10 honorable mention at cornerback as a senior.

Burnett (5-10, 192) was the first of the Steelers’ two fifth round selections (168th overall) in this year’s draft out of Central Florida. A four-year starter, Burnett was a first-team All-Conference USA selection at cornerback, punt returner and kickoff returner as a senior. Burnett finished his career with 16 interceptions and five returns (three punts, two kickoffs) for scores.

Summers (5-10, 240) was the second of the Steelers’ two fifth round selections (169th overall) in this year’s draft out of UNLV. A two-year starter, Summers led the Rebels in 2008 with 740 yards on 183 attempts (4.0 avg.) with eight touchdowns. Summers became the only player in UNLV history to lead the team in both rushing touchdowns (six) and receiving touchdowns (four) during the 2007 season.

The Steelers also announced they have released veteran punter Dirk Johnson.

By SteelCityInsider.com

Posted Jun 12, 2009
    Sweet!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Banned
    Great news...I've been waiting for the rookies to start signing...all three are going to be contributors....Burnett will be a huge upgrade in the return game with mike Wallace and stefan Logan. Frank Summers might just be that power back we've been looking for since the departure of Jerome and keenan lewis should be a solid corner fighting for that number 3 spot with Deshea and ultimately taking that spot over...all three should be immediate contributors on special teams....Damn...is it August yet!?!?! Ps. Watch for willie Parker to come back to form if we use frank summers as a fullback....willie loves running behind a fullback...especially one that is big and very quick for his size.

its a nice start

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback 92 View Post
    its a nice start

Thread Information