Thread: Timmons

Bookmark and Share

Timmons

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_629215.html

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin concluded Thursday's final offseason practice with optimism and the belief that several young players are on the road to emerging as standouts.

Tomlin said winning the Super Bowl was "great," but added that his only focus is preparing for the 2009 season, which enters the next phase with the start of training camp July 31 at St. Vincent College.

"I thought we had a very productive offseason from a teaching standpoint," Tomlin said. "My focus is on developing a world championship-caliber team for '09"

Part of that focus during offseason workouts has been the development of young players such as inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who will replace Larry Foote and be one of two new starters from last season (along with cornerback William Gay).

Timmons, who had 71 tackles and five sacks in 2008, has gained weight without losing quickness and is playing with increased confidence as he becomes more comfortable with the defense.

"We're excited about what he's going to do for us," Tomlin said. "We have tangible evidence of what he's capable of doing. He played quite a bit last year and made critical plays at critical times. We expect that to increase and continue. In terms of quality of play, I don't anticipate any dropoff.''

Second-year safety Ryan Mundy is another young player who gained increased practice time with the absence of safeties Troy Polamalu and Tyrone Carter and with Ryan Clark recovering from shoulder surgery.

Wide receiver Hines Ward sat out most of the offseason work while recovering from shoulder surgery, creating opportunities for Limas Sweed, Dallas Baker and third-round pick Mike Wallace.

Tomlin said the No. 3 receiver job vacated by Nate Washington is wide open.

"All the guys other than Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes" are in the mix, Tomlin said.
    How sick are our 4 starting LB's going to be this year?
    Last edited by Captcoolhand; 06-12-2009 at 11:20 AM.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Sweet....very very sweet!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

I'm looking forward to what Timmons could bring this season: I loved Foote, but because of lack of foot speed, was not a threat to blitz up the middle. Beside with Harrision, Woodley and Timmons we have a great speed on Blitz from inside and out; and Farrior could drop in pass coverage.

I liked Foote A LOT too but you have to admit he missed a lot of tackles, Timmons has the closing speed Foote didn't, I personally think this 09' D can be better than the 08' and that's saying something!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    The D will break records this season......good records.

My Mood
    Impatient
    I read a article last year that said that Tomlin or LeBeau, cant remember which, thinks Timmons is the best pash rusher out of Harrison, Woodley and Timmons. To me, that is scary for opponents QB's.

Its gonna be crazy. I look for even MORE out of our defense this season. A guy like Timmons is gonna add speed to an already SCARY fast defense, another hard hitter to an already punishing defense and another pass rushing threat to an already sack happy defense. Foote was one of my favorites but he was in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM the athelete Timmons is. Now if Mundyand Ziggy (who have been praised all offseason) can add compitent back-up roles, this D will be a force! CB depth is the only thing that scares me, only because the depth we have is VERY young. An injury to Ike,Deshea or Will could mean trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I read a article last year that said that Tomlin or LeBeau, cant remember which, thinks Timmons is the best pash rusher out of Harrison, Woodley and Timmons. To me, that is scary for opponents QB's.
    wow. that's dangerous.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I agree... the D could be better, but injuries can always throw a monkey wrench into plans.
    If everyone can stay healthy/ limit injuries, could be another one for the other hand!!
    CB is a weak spot from an experience point of view
    I hope the rookies can develop quickly!
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

Timmons has gotten bigger and hasnt slowed down a bit...I like hearing that

Thread Information