Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweed Struggling Early

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I can completely forgive the rookie season, hell Holmes struggled his first year with drops and bad routes. Then the 2nd year he started to come on alittle bit more and be more consistent, then in his 3rd year of course he took even bigger strides.

It's too early to wipe Sweed out of the 3rd spot but it's clear that he really needs to get moving as well. OTA's are not exactly high contact type of drills, so he needs to really get himself moving because camp is next month.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I can completely forgive the rookie season, hell Holmes struggled his first year with drops and bad routes. Then the 2nd year he started to come on alittle bit more and be more consistent, then in his 3rd year of course he took even bigger strides.

It's too early to wipe Sweed out of the 3rd spot but it's clear that he really needs to get moving as well. OTA's are not exactly high contact type of drills, so he needs to really get himself moving because camp is next month.
    In my opinion, Sweed is not the third reciever, McDonald is. Sweed has shown nothing to prove he earned that spot, McDonald has.
    Sweed is competing for a place as a third or even 4th reciever spot. Wallace might even beat him out of the 4th if he does not start useing his million dollar hands.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Here's the deal:

WR's coming into this league either have skills catching the ball, or they don't. You shouldn't be learning this craft if you've just be drafted by a pro team. Many times players coming up into the "bigs" can't handle the speed of the game or the thought of getting hit. In Sweed's case ... I think it's the latter. I think the man is absolutely petrified of getting creamed over the middle.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Rookie Free Agent CNY_STEELER_FAN's Avatar
    Regarding why receivers take more time to develop: they need to read the defense and determine which route to run, rather than high school ball where you just line up and run a specific route no matter what the defense is doing (e.g., blitz, zone, etc).

Specific to Sweed, I believe I saw an article last year that he had some eyesight issues that required some correction. It wasn't identified until after the Steelers drafted him.

That being said, he does remind me of Nate Washington's first few years, so I would say McDonald is currently the odd's on favorite for the 3rd receiver. Although he could just be an insurance policy, in case Ward's knee isn't 100% by opening day.

Regardless, they still want a 2nd speedy receiver to help Santonio stretch the field on some plays ... so there will be plenty of opportunities to earn the #3 spot even after training camp is over.

ICS you could be right about being afraid, but he seems to be dropping the easy balls (i.e., in the playoffs) and he did show the willingness to block (granted, after he screwed up the previous play).
    Last edited by CNY_STEELER_FAN; 06-09-2009 at 05:12 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    When you watch him, or atleast what I saw with him in the games he was seeing action is that almost every time he's taking his eyes off the ball and not watching it come into his hands. He looks ahead or to the side at the last second. So yeah he's definitely hearing footsteps or trying to do much before he catches the ball. That stuff can be coached and comes with repetition and experience. IF that's the case then he can still be a viable WR for us. However if he just cannot adjust to the game and is afraid of taking the big hit everytime he catches the ball then his NFL career might be short lived.

Rookie Free Agent CNY_STEELER_FAN's Avatar
    If he is dropping passes while they're only in helmets and shorts due to hearing footsteps, then I would agree that his NFL career with the Steelers will be short.

Starter
    saying WR's need time to develop is too general .. the problem is that the skills he is lacking are not the ones which are easy to improve .. the route-running/blocking is something guys can work on - he does not need any work in this area .. the hands is more of a natural thing , not that it cannot be worked on but the improvement is ceratinly not as dramatic .. hopefully this guy turns out to be a value where we got him, but now it is becoming more clear why we were able to pick him where we did

He can catch a ball. Go watch vids with him on youtube. The guy has, or had, great hands but for some reason he is dropping the balls right now. I still think its way to early to mark him as a failure..
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

sweeds a bust, worst 2nd round pick ever. what a waste!!

My Mood
    Pimp
    It typically takes a WR three years to develop. It's by far the hardest position to learn at the NFL level...give the guy some time. He'll get it together...

--- Added 6/15/2009 at 04:00 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaSean View Post
    sweeds a bust, worst 2nd round pick ever. what a waste!!
    I'm hoping you're joking...

Thread Information