Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweed Struggling Early

Bookmark and Share
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It typically takes a WR three years to develop. It's by far the hardest position to learn at the NFL level...give the guy some time. He'll get it together...

--- Added 6/15/2009 at 04:00 PM ---

I'm hoping you're joking...
    WR is by hard the hardest position to learn ?? What about QB?????

Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post
    There seems to be a pretty common belief that CB is harder to learn than WR but maybe just what I've been reading.

My Mood
    Pimp
    Yes, the QB is one of the toughest positions to learn...however, success at the QB position, usually comes faster than at the WR position. The playbooks are more complex for the QB, decision times are cut down and instead of facing a few NFL level players on the college level, they are facing 11. But for some reason, a QB usually has more success out of the gates than a WR does. Not so much the first year (except in the rarer cases,) but the second and third, a QB is usually on his way...

A WR is a position where EVERYTHING is more complex than on the college level. The routes are totally different, way more complex on the NFL level. There is very little on the college level to prepare a WR for the NFL game...most aspects on the college level for a WR aren't even close to that of the NFL level. On the NFL level, the receiver needs to know when to cut a route when to extend a route when to change a route...they need to block which they normally don't do on the college level. In college a WR can get by on size and speed. That's not going to happen in the NFL.

imo, because the lack of success is there for the WR's, it's the more difficult of the two.

--- Added 6/16/2009 at 05:18 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    There seems to be a pretty common belief that CB is harder to learn than WR but maybe just what I've been reading.
    QB, WR, DT...I'd say all three of those are harder than CB...

CB is probably one of the more physical positions.

Just my opinion...

I echo what was said about a WR often taking time, 3 years etc...

The guy is getting open. Some WRs have trouble with that.

The hands is a concentration issue as his hands were solid as was mentioned in college.

There is not a problem Sweed is encountering, that can't eventually fade away with confidence / experience.

It just takes patience on the fans part.

Sweed will NOT be a bust, mark my words....

My Mood
    Pimp
    I don't think Ward will let him be a bust...lol...

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yes, the QB is one of the toughest positions to learn...however, success at the QB position, usually comes faster than at the WR position. The playbooks are more complex for the QB, decision times are cut down and instead of facing a few NFL level players on the college level, they are facing 11. But for some reason, a QB usually has more success out of the gates than a WR does. Not so much the first year (except in the rarer cases,) but the second and third, a QB is usually on his way...

A WR is a position where EVERYTHING is more complex than on the college level. The routes are totally different, way more complex on the NFL level. There is very little on the college level to prepare a WR for the NFL game...most aspects on the college level for a WR aren't even close to that of the NFL level. On the NFL level, the receiver needs to know when to cut a route when to extend a route when to change a route...they need to block which they normally don't do on the college level. In college a WR can get by on size and speed. That's not going to happen in the NFL.

imo, because the lack of success is there for the WR's, it's the more difficult of the two.

--- Added 6/16/2009 at 05:18 PM ---

QB, WR, DT...I'd say all three of those are harder than CB...

CB is probably one of the more physical positions.

Just my opinion...
    if that were the case how could it be that there are probably only 12 "good" QB's in the whole league as opposed to probably 60 "good" receivers .. by good i mean that there are only so many players that teams want to hold on to .. there are 20 teams in this league looking for a QB .. not that many looking for WR's
    Last edited by andyg1984; 06-19-2009 at 07:32 AM.

My Mood
    Pimp
    WR's are more readily available...of course there's going to be more "good" ones...lol.

if that were the case how could it be that there are probably only 12 "good" QB's in the whole league as opposed to probably 60 "good" receivers .. by good i mean that there are only so many players that teams want to hold on to .. there are 20 teams in this league looking for a QB .. not that many looking for WR's
    Well probably because a team only needs one QB (lets say two) and a team needs 5 WR at least. So obviously they need to make more WRs than QBs. They simply develop more WRs than QB
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

20 teams?

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by No l Gravity l View Post
    20 teams?
    yep, there are only so many QB's in this league that a team can realistically expect to win in the playoffs with,maybe i was exaggeratting- not that there are 20 teams dying for QB's but there are only so many good ones .. .. lol .. i would say probaly 15-18 .. i understand that teams hold more spots for WR's, but I do not know of any position more significant on a team than QB and I think that at the end of the day that when you look at what QB's do WR's are just so much more replaceable ..hope i did not get the conversation too far away from sweed w/ the qb/wr thing ..

Thread Information