Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Harrison's Dog Attacks His Son

Bookmark and Share
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

James Harrison's Dog Attacks His Son

Story Here or Here

Sorry, I'm not a fan of pit bulls or their defensive and apathetic owners who insist pit bulls are family pets who are somehow misunderstood.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his son. I guess if there's good new here it's that the injuries don't appear to be life threatening.
    Last edited by Iron City South; 05-22-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Starter
    Good luck to his son, Although they dont appear to be life threatening, it sounds like they are still some pretty bad injuries. I cant imagine how horrific it must be to see your own kid being attacked by a pit or any other dog for that matter. I hope they shoot the damn dog though.

My Mood
    Smokin
    That is horrible....thoughts and prayers are with his son

Thanks for the sig Flea

Just awful for that kid even if not injuried bad. Hate them damn dogs they are like a time bomb waiting to go off..All dogs may bite but those dogs (pibulls) dont let go !! They latch on and clamp down and cause damage.. If it was me Id shoot the fricking thing

They are so very lucky the dog didn't grab his throat! Hope he has a speedy recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    Story Here or Here

Sorry, I'm not a fan of pit bulls or their defensive and apathetic owners who insist pit bulls are family pets who are somehow misunderstood.
    Im not a fan of every Tom,Dick and Harry that wants to throw his/her .02 in when it comes to other peoples dogs. Its people like this, and un-attentive owners who give any dog a bad name. But when we say "Pitbull" everyones ******* puckers and the blame is immediately placed on the animal. Ive been around HUNDREDS of APBT's, Staffordshires and other bull terriers and i know of one person who has been bitten!! (he's fine and still owns the dog!) Maybe its a coincidence but i've been bitten by 2 labs and i hold no ill will towards the breed! Its sad all the way around, I wish his kid a speedy recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    Maybe its a coincidence but i've been bitten by 2 labs and i hold no ill will towards the breed! Its sad all the way around, I wish his kid a speedy recovery!
    Are you kidding me? You're going to try to make this arguement using Labs as your "what about other dogs" defense?

Dude, Labs come from a pedigree known to be loving family dogs and service animals for the blind and challenged? Pit Bulls come from a lineage of dogs that were once soley bred for fighting in the same manner a Greyhound is bred for racing.

Listen, owner behavior obviously plays a huge role in all of this. Most Pit Bull owners are irresponsible street pimps, thugs, and your run of the mill macho guy who wants to show others what a bad *** he is. The problem is Pit Bulls and other aggressive dogs like Rots and Wolf breeds pick up on thier owner behavior of being an ******* and want to please them so they turn into aggressive *******s too. When a pit bull misreads a situation and becomes aggressive, you can usually assume it is the fault of the owner, but when a nice pit bull snaps and latches onto the jugular of your 4 year old neighbor girl that is a the natural instinct of the dog that no amount of training is going to stop

Are you kidding me? You're going to try to make this arguement using Labs as your "what about other dogs" defense?

Dude, Labs come from a pedigree known to be loving family dogs and service animals for the blind and challenged? Pit Bulls come from a lineage of dogs that were once soley bred for fighting in the same manner a Greyhound is bred for racing.

Listen, owner behavior obviously plays a huge role in all of this. Most Pit Bull owners are irresponsible street pimps, thugs, and your run of the mill macho guy who wants to show others what a bad *** he is. The problem is Pit Bulls and other aggressive dogs like Rots and Wolf breeds pick up on thier owner behavior of being an ******* and want to please them so they turn into aggressive *******s too. When a pit bull misreads a situation and becomes aggressive, you can usually assume it is the fault of the owner, but when a nice pit bull snaps and latches onto the jugular of your 4 year old neighbor girl that is a the natural instinct of the dog that no amount of training is going to stop
    this is 100% incorrect. pits were bred for bull and bear baiting. this is only news for 2 reasons: number one because it's a pitbull and number two because it's james harrison. you didn't hear about the people who got bit by poodles the other day because nobody cares. ANY dog can turn into an ******* under the proper circumstances.
    Last edited by yinzer; 05-24-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Most Pit Bull owners are irresponsible street pimps, thugs, and your run of the mill macho guy who wants to show others what a bad *** he is.

now I KNOW you're clueless.

How 'bout you back this statement up with some facts.
    Oh, I see, you can't because this isn't a fact but rather JUST your opinion.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    this is 100% incorrect. pits were bred for bull and bear baiting.
    Sorry to absolutely destroy you any loydfan4lift in such a public forum, but somebody has to do it ....

Pit bull - History
    The ancestors of modern pit bulls, English and French bulldogs, and other related breeds were powerful mastiffs bred for farm work. Specifically, these dogs accompanied farmers into the fields to assist with bringing bulls in for breeding, castration, or slaughter. The dogs, known generally as bulldogs, protected the farmer by subduing the bull if it attempted to gore him. Typically a dog would do this by biting the bull on the nose and holding on until the bull submitted. Because of the nature of their job, bulldogs were bred to have powerful jaws, muscular bodies, and the resolve to hold onto a violently-struggling bull, even when injured.

Eventually these dogs' purpose inspired the widespread practice of the bloody sports of bull-baiting and bear-baiting. Bulldogs are believed to have been bred with terrier breeds to produce a more muscular, compact, and agile dog for these competitions. The resulting dogs are known as bull-and-terrier breeds, and modern examples include all pit bull-type dogs. In Elizabethan England, these spectacles were popular forms of entertainment. However, in 1835, bull-baiting and bear-baiting were abolished by Parliament as cruel, and the custom died out over the following years.

In its place the sport of dog-fighting gained popularity. Dogs were bred for specific traits useful in the dog-fighting ring, refining the agility, gameness, and power already present in the bull-and-terrier breeds. They were also bred to be intelligent and level-headed during fights and unaggressive toward humans. Part of the standard for organized dog-fighting required that an owner be able to enter the ring, pick up his dog while it was engaged in a fight, and carry it out of the ring without being bitten. Dogs that bit their owners were culled. As a result, Victorian fighting dogs (Staffordshire Bull Terriers and, though less commonly used as fighters, English Bull Terriers) generally had stable temperaments and were commonly kept in the home by the gambling men who owned them.

Pit bull - Characteristics
    Pit bulls are medium-sized (males range 45-85lbs, females 30-80lbs), solidly built, short-coated dogs that require little grooming. They have an affectionate disposition, and are noted for their attachment to their masters as well as for their confident and intelligent temperament. Pit bull breeds are typically devoted and sociable, and are happiest when in the company of their human companions.

Pit Bulls are extremely athletic and energetic dogs, and require a great deal of exercise if they are not to become destructive. Although they can be short, they have extremely high muscle density and are generally capable of executing a standing four-foot-vertical jump. Pit bulls have also been bred to have a very high tolerance for pain. For example, the United States Postal Service, which equips its letter carriers with a pepper spray, notes that many capsaicin-based dog-repellent sprays can have little or no effect on an attacking pit bull.

Pit bulls were historically bred to display dominance aggression toward other dogs—a relic of the breed's dog fighting past. A pit bull displaying the correct breed temperament is friendly towards humans, but at the same time protective over its territory. Some believe this behavior is desirable in family pet for protection from intruders.

Supporters of pit bulls argue they can make good pets. Good breeding practices may help to minimize agressive behavior. Most pit bull advocates recommend getting a pitbull as a puppy so the owner has more control over the socialization process, and can more easily train it away from harsh or unacceptable behaviors.

The American Temperament Test Society, Inc. (ATTS) breed statistics as of December 2004 show an 83.4% passing rate for the American Pit Bull Terrier and a 93.2% passing rate for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as compared to an 81% average pass rate for all dog breeds. The testing process is not a direct measure of agression. Some of the tests used by ATTS may give a passing grade to agression toward humans considered appropriate for the situation, such as a stranger advancing toward the dog and handler in an threatening manner. Other parts of the ATTS test battery gauge response to unfamiliar situations such as walking on slippery surfaces or hearing nearby gunshots.

Pit bull - Dog fights
    In the United States, pit bulls are the breed of choice for dog fights, due to their incredible strength and dog-aggressive tendencies. Although dog fighting is illegal in the U.S., it is still practiced, and is usually accompanied by gambling. People who train pit bulls to fight usually prepare them for fighting by having them pull weighted sleds and run on specially designed treadmills. Often the codeword "game bred" is used to indicate that a pit bull has been bred especially to fight. Although when most pits are "game bred" it indicates that the dog's ancestors were bred for fighting but the dog itself is not for fighting; it's just as strong but is human and pet friendly. Nonfighting "game bred" dogs are usually used for breeders who participate in weight pulling, hunting, springpole, and other athletic sports. Breeding human or dog aggressive pit bulls is sometimes associated with the hip hop culture, which consider it a status symbol to own the toughest dog. [6]

The term game-bred may be used as a code for a fight dog, but sometimes referring to a dog that is game simply means a dog that is very determined to complete a task, be it a race, weight pull, or unfortunately even a fight.

Pit bull - Debate
    The extent to which banning a particular breed is effective in reducing dog bite fatalities is contested. Some people maintain that pit bull attacks are directly attributable to irresponsible owners, rather than to any inherent defect in the breed itself. Other people believe that the pit bull terrier is a breed that, although not inherently dangerous, needs a particularly knowledgeable and committed handler and should not be freely available to novice owners. Still others maintain that pit bulls as a breed are invariably more unpredictable and dangerous than other dogs even when properly trained, and have no place in society.

Pit bull terriers are popular with irresponsible owners who see these dogs as a symbol of status or machismo, as these owners often do not socialize, train, or desex their pets. These are all factors that have been shown to contribute to increased likelihood of dog aggression, and may partially explain why pit bulls feature so heavily in dog attack statistics. Some people argue that banning the pit bull will simply result in irresponsible dog owners seeking to own other large breeds with similar temperaments (such as the Dobermann, Rottweiler or German Shepherd Dog), resulting in an increased occurrence of dog bites from these breeds. Others argue that the Pit Bull has a particular appeal to the irresponsible dog owner because of its smaller size. An unruly pit bull can be restrained on a leash by an average adult, where a larger breed would easily overpower the owner's restraint.

Thank you. I rest my case and I do accept donations to my paypal account.

Thread Information