Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sides far apart on Starks' deal

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Sides far apart on Starks' deal

Max Starks isn't seeking sympathy, because he knows he isn't worthy. Not with gas prices rising along with unemployment, and foreclosures becoming an American staple.

Starks will earn $8.4 million next season to play left tackle as the Steelers' franchise player.

Coupled with last year's $6.9 million salary as the team's transition player, Starks will earn a mind-boggling $15.3 million over two years.

Given that the Steelers rarely throw around money like drunken sailors on leave, Starks must be a pretty valuable commodity. And while $15.3 million should be more than enough for Starks to live on for the rest of his life, he is a professional football player in the prime of his career, playing a game where multi-million dollar contracts are the norm.

Starks is merely playing by the rules.

"It's about contracts or guaranteed money,'' Starks said.

The Steelers decided to pay Starks like a Pro Bowl left tackle, effectively knocking their salary cap out of whack.

But even after spending so much money on a player who didn't open the 2008 season in the starting lineup, Starks' future with the Steelers remains uncertain.

The Steelers designated Starks as their franchise player with the purpose of signing him to a long-term deal. Starks, however, said the sides are far apart. Per team policy, the Steelers don't comment on player negotiations.

"It appears to be at a standstill," Starks said. "I thought I was a priority before. Then, they did James Harrison's deal when he had one year left. So apparently, I'm a lower man on the totem pole than I thought."

Starks isn't blameless. The Steelers will make him one of the NFL's highest-paid linemen this season. Starks could give the Steelers a "hometown'' discount and accept a multi-year contract averaging less than the $8.45 salary he will receive as a franchise player. But business, after all, is business.

"For me, it's more about the security aspect," said Starks, 27. "A lot of guys want to be somewhere securely more than paid very well for a finite amount of time. I've signed one-year deals for the last three years and haven't been offered a multi-year deal yet. You wonder: You like me enough not to lose me. Do you like me enough to keep me long term?"

Will Starks remain with the Steelers beyond 2009? Based on the apparent stalemate in negotiations, that doesn't seem likely.

"They don't (negotiate) during the season," Starks said. "Time is of the essence to get it done before the season.

"It's not all about money."

Truth be told, it's always about the money. It just so happens the Steelers are offering less than Starks will accept

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, May 23, 2009

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

guess you cant blame the greedy bastard

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This whole situation is such a monster, epic, failure it's not even funny. This dude has blown our salary cap into oblivion with all this money they threw at him. Let's face facts the dude is not a pro bowl LT by any stretch but given our lack of quality Tackles the team had to decide if making the move was worth it and pull the trigger. If they don't re-sign him to a multi year deal there's no way he'll come back after 2009. I hope he doesn't think he's worth 8mill per season and holding out for that much because nobody in their right mind would give him that. Apparently getting less that 8+ million a year isn't security enough for him. Take a deal for 6 mill a year for 5 years and be happy for **** sakes!

Gold Standard
    Unfortunately, short of a blockbuster draft day deal or a losing season, there is just no way that we are going to even get a sniff at a top level tackle in the draft for years to come. Top tackles are top 10 picks every year. You are right, Max isn't worthy of 8.5 mil but we didn't have an alternative or Max would be gone. Hopefully, Tony Hills can impress enough this year that Max will be expendible next year. If not we will be right back in this same situation next year not able to put confidense in a draft pick to step in as a starter. There are rookies who step in and play at a pro-bowl level ie. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Ryan Clady. Clady gave up a half sack for the entire season his rookie year. But you have to be a really bad team to even have a shot at those top tackles and I don't see the Steelers drafting top ten for years to come.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Tailgate Coordinator
    "It's not all about money."

Then what is it Max?

I'm A "Champion"

Rookie Free Agent
    You pay peanuts you get monkeys! Er...what's the opposite?

Starter
    it is quite obvious this guy is not a pro-bowl LT - IMO he is a RT .. we would not be having this discussion if we traded to where the ravens did to get Oher, who could have played RT this year (obvious upgrade over Colon who is out of his true position as well) then beat out Starks in 2010 .. i understand that we are in a tough place and that Starks is aware of this and that will play a role in negotiations, but why must we kid ourselves and pretend that this is not the same the guy who was/is protecting the blindside for a team that gave up entirely too many sacks/hits on our real franchise offensive guy ??

Agree with everyone's points

I say if he will not take a reasonable salary,,,,,,,,,

"For me, it's more about the security aspect," said Starks, So you can't have a comfortable living from 15.3 million~~~~~Bull Butter

Maybe after getting 2 rings,,,,,,he wants to get richer on a losing team

I say We'll move on as always and will be SUPERBOWL CHAMPS again with or without his

My Mood
    Impatient
    I think it would be funnny, if he doesnt sign long term and Essex or Hills step up, to sit him on the bench and not let him play this year and then let him walk. No team would pay big money for him if he doesnt play this season. Then he would get neither big money or security.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I think it would be funnny, if he doesnt sign long term and Essex or Hills step up, to sit him on the bench and not let him play this year and then let him walk. No team would pay big money for him if he doesnt play this season. Then he would get neither big money or security.
    That's not a half bad Idea.........
    But I cant see them paying him that much Cabbage and not use him.

I will bet anyone, any amount of SA Gold that Starks WILL NOT start 16 games next season.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information