Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward: Bound for Canton

Bookmark and Share
    Awaiting Seven...

Hines Ward: Bound for Canton

On April 25th 2009, Hines Ward signed a four-year contract extension ensuring that he will retire in a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform. Steelers’ fans would not have it any other way, Hines Ward has become one of the most beloved athletes in the city of Pittsburgh. Since being drafted in 1998 by the Steelers, Ward has become known for his clutch catches, his devastating blocks, and his trademark smile. Playing an entire career with the same team is extremely rare in today’s NFL, but Hines Ward is a rare type of person, the type that the NFL could use more of.

Hines Ward may be a wide receiver, but some may know him best for his ability to hit. Over the years, one aspect of Ward’s game that has been highly criticized, is his blindside blocks on defensive players. While some consider Ward’s tactics dirty, others applaud him for having the courage to take on players twice his size. During the 2008 season, in a Week 7 game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Ward put a hit on Bengals’ linebacker, Keith Rivers, which ended the linebacker’s season. It was this particular hit, which influenced the NFL to put a new rule in place. Commonly referred to as “The Hines Ward Rule”, starting in the 2009 season, a blindside block will be illegal if the blocker uses his shoulder, forearm, or helmet and hits the head or neck area of the defender.

Think of wide receivers for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the first two names that come to mind for most people are John Stallworth and Lynn Swann, but check the Steelers’ record books and the first name shown is that of Hines Ward. Very quietly, Hines Ward has become the all-time leading receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, passing the legendary names of Stallworth and Swann. Ward is a four-time Pro Bowler, and has had five career 1,000 receiving seasons to go with his 72 career touchdowns. The shining moment of Ward’s career thus far was his stellar performance in Super Bowl XL against the Seattle Seahawks. Ward had five receptions, for 123 yards and a touchdown. His efforts helped the Steelers get a 21-10 victory and the MVP Award. Ward became the fifth wide receiver in Super Bowl history to be named MVP, and the other Steeler on that list is none other than Lynn Swann.

Over 9,000 receiving yards, two Super Bowls, and four Pro Bowls later, Hines Ward shows no signs of slowing down. Entering his thirteenth season, Ward is playing harder than ever. Only Ward knows when he will play his last game, but it is believed by many that he already earned his place in Canton, Ohio. When that day comes, fans can be sure to see a familiar sight, Hines Ward on the steps of the Hall of Fame smiling, like they have seen so many times before.

Michael C. Smith
    SteelerAddicts.com

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm glad he will finish his career in Black an Gold,He has the rings to get him in Canton an his stats are good considering he was in an run first offense for most of his career, i just hope he becomes our reciever coach after his career is done

Quote Originally Posted by SIXBURGH View Post
    I'm glad he will finish his career in Black an Gold,He has the rings to get him in Canton an his stats are good considering he was in an run first offense for most of his career, i just hope he becomes our reciever coach after his career is done
    Great article!

I agree sixburgh!

A couple more rings should seal the deal to Canton!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Starter
    hope his style rubs off on holmes, sweed and now wallace as he finishes off his career in pittsburgh to the point that his style of play lives on through the above young talent

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    He's my favorite player...
    Hard working
    smart, not the most physically gifted, but plays with intelligence.
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

Rookie Free Agent CURTAIN OF STEEL's Avatar
    He has definately deserved the right to retire in Black and Gold!!!!!
    I BLEED BLACK AND GOLD

People Hate What They Can't Replicate... 6 Lombardi's Baby!!!

Hall of Famer for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Callax View Post
    He's my favorite player...
    Hard working
    smart, not the most physically gifted, but plays with intelligence.
    although I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of his blocks!!

Hines deserves to retire a Steeler. He is the definition of what a Steeler is.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Quote Originally Posted by desteel View Post
    Hall of Famer for sure.

Love your avatar ----

Thread Information