Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaun McDonald

Bookmark and Share
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

Shaun McDonald

I just heard a rumor that the Steelers signed McDonald from the Lions ..... anybody hearing anything to the likes?

--- Added 4/30/2009 at 01:19 PM ---

Rumor just confirmed. It just went up on the Steelers official site.

http://news.steelers.com/article/105162/

Steelers Sign Four Free Agents

PITTSBURGH —The Steelers added four free agents today prior to the start of their annual minicamp, the team announced. The team added cornerback Keiwan Ratliff, punter Dirk Johnson, wide receiver Shaun McDonald and kicker Piotr (peet-er) Czech.

Ratliff (5-11, 188) was originally drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round (49th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Florida. He most recently spent a portion of the 2007 and 2008 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts and finished with 34 tackles and two interceptions during his time with the Colts.

Ratliff spent three full seasons with the Bengals before being released in September, 2007. He was then signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spent two weeks on their active roster before being released.

Johnson (6-0, 210) enters his eighth NFL season after playing 12 games with the Arizona Cardinals in 2008. He averaged 41.8 yards on 40 punts with the Cardinals, including a 35.2-yard net average. In 69 career games played, Johnson has averaged 41.7 yards on 320 punts (13,356 total yards).

Johnson, 33, originally signed with the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted rookie out of Northern Colorado in 1998. He was released in training camp by the Seahawks (’98), New York Jets (’99) and San Diego Chargers (’01), before playing with the New Orleans Saints (‘02), Philadelphia Eagles (‘03-06), Chicago Bears (’07) and the Cardinals. Johnson was released by Arizona last December and signed with the Washington Redskins in March 2009 before being released in April.

McDonald (5-10, 183) was originally drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft out of Arizona State. McDonald spent four years with the Rams before signing with the Detroit Lions during the 2007 offseason. He led the Lions with 79 catches, 943 yards and six touchdowns that season.

Czech (6-5, 210) spent the 2008 training camp with the Baltimore Ravens after signing as a rookie free agent out of Wagner College.

The Steelers released long snapper Jared Retkofsky, who signed with the team midway through the 2008 season after starter Greg Warren suffered a season-ending knee injury.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Not yet. If it's true, I like it better than the Lelie talks.

--- Added 4/30/2009 at 01:27 PM ---

Nice. A little insurance policy in case Sweed, Wallace and whoever else struggle.

Played great 2 seasons ago for the Lions, last season was a trainwreck for the whole team to be able to judge any kind of performance.

--- Added 4/30/2009 at 01:34 PM ---

Maybe the front office read and took my advice of FA wr's
    http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/...t=20415&page=2

I like the added security and depth we are adding to our wide receiver position, it was well needed especiall with washington gone and ward getting old.

My Mood
    Horny
    I like the McDonald pick up! he will be a nice fit for the lose of Nate Washington!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I like McDonald of all the vet WR's still out there and alot more then Lelie....But this team needs Limas Sweed to step up but having a vet like McDonald to push Sweed is smart...

Good slot receiver and dependable Punt Returner. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he starts out as the 3rd receiver because Sweed still needs some time to grow if his years at Texas were any guide (i.e. rather crappy routes)

this signing leaves me unexcited

As well it should. He's a dependable veteran who reached his ceiling long ago.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    As well it should. He's a dependable veteran who reached his ceiling long ago.
    I'm not sure that's been proven yet. take a look at who he played behind, when he was with the Rams and as a Lion, two seasons ago, he was the top WR for a pathetic team.

He will help this team out alot.

I like this signing. Looks like our WR core will be Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Wallace, and McDonald. I can live with that. Hopefully Wallace, or McDonald can handle the kick returning duties so we can get away from having the big FB types return kicks.

Thread Information