Thread: Tribune Review: Davenport still believes

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tribune Review: Davenport still believes

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_478399.html

A 2-6 record at the season's midway point suggests it's maybe time for the Steelers to throw in the towel.
    But coach Bill Cowher said he's "not concerned" about his players giving up or giving in following Sunday's 31-20 loss to the Denver Broncos at Heinz Field.

"Nobody is going to let that happen," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

From running back Najeh Davenport's perspective, actions will speak louder than words, as the Steelers endeavor to keep it together.

"There's a difference losing here and losing where I was," Davenport said.

Davenport was signed by the Steelers on Sept. 8 after being cut by the Green Bay Packers.

His four seasons with the Packers were revealing, Davenport said, as have been his eight weeks with the Steelers.

"Losing where I was, you could feel false motivation in the second quarter, when you were down 21 points," Davenport said. "Here, I don't get that; I don't sense that. You see guys going full out -- special teams, kickers, offensive tackles -- you see guys giving it all every down, every play.

"You just keep feeding off of that."

Davenport carried two times for 17 yards, caught five passes for 57 yards and returned one kickoff for 23 yards against Denver. He also was credited with a special-teams tackle.

"We were in the game to the end," Davenport said. "I don't think there's a team we can play that we can't beat. Unfortunately, the last couple weeks, the ball didn't really bounce our way -- be it turnovers, penalties, what have you."

The Steelers' ability to react to adversity has been eye-opening, Davenport said.

"There were a couple calls out there, a couple things that happened, any other team, it would turn you against each other. Not here," he said. "I didn't hear that on the sideline.

"I'm from the outside looking in. I didn't go through training camp with these guys. I'm the new guy, still. I don't feel that here. I don't feel the defense hating on the offense or the offense hating on the defense. I just don't feel it. What I feel is this unbelievable energy from the defense, from the offense, after they make a play or after they make a stop.

"I feed off that, and hopefully, my teammates feed off me."

For all that feeding, however, the Steelers still trail the Baltimore Ravens by four games in the AFC North Division with eight remaining.

"We're gonna pull it together," Davenport said. "We just need a ball to bounce our way once, and we're gonna turn it around."

I think its alittle more than the ball bouncing our way...it shouldnt be bouncing in the first place !

I admire his dedication, hopefully his positive attitude carries through to as many as possible in that locker room.

I really like davenport....all the guy does is turn screen passes into 15+yard gains.

House of Steel
    Now, I like that in a player. Davenport has caught my eyes on more occassions than usual. I am hoping that we sign this guy long term. He is a great addition to the running game. I am becoming a fan of his for sure.

Did he pass his drug screen??? but seriously read between the lines. He's saying the same things we are, stop the turnovers and we start winning games! The STEELERS have not had their asses kicked by these other teams. We have been in these games to the end, mostly. I think these losses may be easier to take if we were getting our asses kicked.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Davenport is really starting to grow on me! He's got a great attitude and has been making the most of his time when given the chance.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He's a breath of fresh air and all teams need that to help stay away from getting stagnant. He's a good influence in the locker room and to the media and seems to carry his positive attitude very well. I just hope he can continue to make plays and solidify himself as the big back option along side Willie so we don't have to worry about a RB in the draft this coming year.

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Thanks for posting this. It's great to read something positive....especially today.

Yeah, we don't lose to Denver if we don't spot them 14 points in the first 4 minutes.

But as for Davenport, why isn't he getting the ball more? It's becoming more and more apparent that Willie Parker isn't the kind of every down back we need. Don't get me wrong, he's still good, and I think he should be our starter. But having him just run up the middle and get stuffed 5 times in a row before finally breaking one for 10+ yards just isn't going to work. And Davenport, to be effective, needs more than a couple carries per game. I think the Steelers HAVE to start rotating Parker and Najeh, if not every other play, then close to it, so they have an idea if it will work, or if we need to draft a franchise RB this year. Speaking of which, who are the top RBs that will be in the draft this year?
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information