Gold Standard

Too Early To Pass Judgement

Anthony Spencer | #93 | DE
    Dallas Cowboys | Official Team Site
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 255 Age: 25
    Born: 1/23/1984
    College: Purdue
    Experience: 3rd season

28 games | 70 tackles | 50 Solo | 20 Asst | 4.5 Sacks | 1 public intox & disorderly conduct

Lawrence Timmons | #94 | LB
    Pittsburgh Steelers | Official Team Site
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 234 Age: 22
    Born: 5/14/1986
    College: Florida State
    Experience: 3rd season

32 Games | 78 Tackles | 54 Solo | 24 Asst | 5 Sacks

+4 Games | +8 Tackles | +4 Solo | +4 Asst | +.5 Sacks

Many on this site fell in love with Anthony Spencer and critisized the Timmons pick a lot when we selected him. Some called Timmons a BUM out of frustration because they didn't pick the guy we all wanted. After 2 complete seasons neither one is a full time starter yet but nobody can argue that Timmons has been slightly more productive in a defense that is tougher to get on the field to play with. Apparently the player evaluation they did was pretty good and as it turns out I believe we got the better player! Point is lets not pass judgement before these players have even practiced for the first time. Some of them just might surprise us all!
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 04-27-2009 at 10:59 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I started the Anthony Spencer hype....But I always stated that I wouldn't have drafted the guy in round 1....If you look back I was hell bent on not over drafting him....When I started the hype on him it was more to take him in the 2nd round.......or trade down then draft him...But I was dead against on picking him 15 that year....I'm still glad we got Woodley over Spencer and Timmons at this point to.....

You have to remember that I watched Spencer a ton since I'm so close to Purdue and he was always around the ball and making plays...That is why I liked him so much....

lol well timmons was my man at 15....if we moved down some i loved spencer too though

in spencers defense he doesnt have nearly the dline we do, he was a conversion guy (not everyone is an instant stud like woodley in that process) and the cowboys run a gimmicky 34....plus ellis and ware have been on the field most of the time, timmons gets alot more playing time on the inside.

woodley and spencer would be a better comparison based on position and skill set rather than draft position and woodley KILLED spencer in all aspects so im glad we didnt get spencer cause then woodley woulf have had no value to us in the second.

basically we got what the cowboys thought they got

i always liked timmons, and even thought his rookie year was a wash i told people to not count him out by any means hes gonna be a stud....obviously i feel differently this year lol

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I started the Anthony Spencer hype....But I always stated that I wouldn't have drafted the guy in round 1....If you look back I was hell bent on not over drafting him....When I started the hype on him it was more to take him in the 2nd round.......or trade down then draft him...But I was dead against on picking him 15 that year....I'm still glad we got Woodley over Spencer and Timmons at this point to.....

You have to remember that I watched Spencer a ton since I'm so close to Purdue and he was always around the ball and making plays...That is why I liked him so much....

I wasn't calling anyone out. I liked Spencer too! The point is that even though most of us didn't like the Timmons pick and some forecasted his failure he has turned out to be the better pick so far. Some people invest too much emotional attachment to the players they wished we had taken. I don't believe that our scouts and FO are idiots and I have faith that some of these guys are going to turn out to be valuable members of the team.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I wasn't calling anyone out. I liked Spencer too! The point is that even though most of us didn't like the Timmons pick and some forecasted his failure he has turned out to be the better pick so far. Some people invest too much emotional attachment to the players they wished we had taken. I don't believe that our scouts and FO are idiots and I have faith that some of these guys are going to turn out to be valuable members of the team.
    I know you were not calling me out....I just wanted to state that even though I started the hype and liked the guy....I thought he would have been a major reach at 15......I was dead against Timmons period that draft....Of course I changed my opinion on him.....

I do think Spencer would have been a nice fit for us.....But not as good as Woodley....

Back to Timmons even though he struggled his rookie year....I still didn't call him a bust....I'm willing to give any player a chance.....

its not so much about my attachment to other players, it is to a certain extent especially since it was soooo close that it was possible with oher. i just hated the pick. some people cant understand why i would hate someone whos never played a snap but im definitely allowed to make an initial judgement and im just not about the hood or urbik picks....we did much better for ourselves last year imo, high value picks throughout and last years didnt even contribute that much...its not that im not willing to give them a chance its that i have no faith in them to ever earn one

Thread Information