Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Gazette: Turnovers once again the culprit...Parker & Ward speak out

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Post Gazette: Turnovers once again the culprit...Parker & Ward speak out

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06310/736062-66.stm

Monday, November 06, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker Larry Foote compared the Steelers' 2-6 record to an earthquake, and the tremors rumbled through their locker room after the most recent disaster, a 31-20 loss amid a flood of six turnovers to the Denver Broncos at Heinz Field.

Halfback Willie Parker, who scored his team's only two touchdowns, wondered whether the Steelers have had one big letdown after winning a Super Bowl.

"Last year, we were getting the job done, we just seemed hungrier," said Parker. "This year, it seems like we already got what we want, what's the use? What's the use of going out there and selling out?"

Parker said he also felt a lack of trust among teammates.

"Right now I don't think we're believing in everybody. I don't think we're looking at the guy next to us and being like, 'He has my back, I can trust this guy.' I don't think we trust the guy next to us right now."

Wide receiver Hines Ward, whose last of seven receptions ended when he lost a fumble at the goal line with 1:50 left, was already talking about playing for next season.

"At 2-6, you have to audition for next year. For me, it just sucks because I put everything I had into this game. Then to let my team down with the fumble really hurts a lot."
    The Steelers never had a lead after falling behind 14-0 in the first four minutes, but they made a game of it and still had a shot until Ward's fumble. He caught a pass from the 11 and leaped into the air and tried to stretch the ball across the goal line as two Broncos converged on him. Linebacker Al Wilson knocked the ball loose, and that was that.

For the fourth time this season, the Steelers outgained an opponent and lost because of turnovers. They rang up 499 yards to Denver's 336, but the Broncos committed no turnovers.

"This will reveal a lot," coach Bill Cowher said. "There are high-character guys there. It's very disappointing. It's very frustrating. It's funny how life works. Sometimes you're at the pinnacle, and sometimes you're at the bottom."

Already, the Steelers have 24 turnovers, one more than all of last season, and they were at a loss to explain that difference as much as they were their stunningly poor first half of the season.

"I don't know," said Foote. "Why do earthquakes happen? Nobody knows."

Ben Roethlisberger threw three more interceptions, although one came on a desperation pass at the end. He completed a team-record 38 passes in 54 attempts for 433 yards, second most in team history, and had one 15-yard touchdown pass to Parker. The Steelers ran only 19 times, for 96 yards with Parker gaining 70 of them.

"That was the game plan, get out and throw the ball, and I think we did a good job of it," Roethlisberger said.

But turnovers put the Steelers in a hole early and they kept digging it deeper as the game went on.
    It sounds like Ward and Parker have already thrown in the terrible towel....

House of Steel
    That was digusting to read. What the hell? Throwing in the towel already, HEY FOOLS you guys realize you may actually have a chance, a one in million chance of sweeping the 8 remaining games and squeeze by as the Divisional Champions. I am not giving up hope. Hey, I have seen miracle happens that are bigger than the one we are praying for, but you have to believe.

Hines was probably just caught in the emotions of the game when he said what he did. I have rarely seen a player look like he did at the end of the game.After his fumble, you could see it ripped his heart out.He has always wore his emotions on his sleeve. I doubt seriously he has given up. I can't explain Parkers attitude, he needs to spend a little more time with Najeh and pick up on his attitude, see the other post.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Hard to fault Willie when he scores the only two TD's. I think Willie makes a great point. This team doesn't believe in each other and the team isn't as hungry. This team was close a team last year. This year thats not the case.

Willie is saying the exact opposite of Najeh. I'm not saying who's right, but I would rather have Najeh's attitude.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Willie is saying the exact opposite of Najeh. I'm not saying who's right, but I would rather have Najeh's attitude.
    Big difference between the two. Willie Parker was here last year and knows whats different among the team. Where Dookie is new to the team this year and is still fitting in.

"Last year, we were getting the job done, we just seemed hungrier," said Parker. "This year, it seems like we already got what we want, what's the use? What's the use of going out there and selling out?"

Parker said he also felt a lack of trust among teammates.

"Right now I don't think we're believing in everybody. I don't think we're looking at the guy next to us and being like, 'He has my back, I can trust this guy.' I don't think we trust the guy next to us right now."

This is not the attitude I want my starting RB to have. He has to be able to trust his line that the hole will be there, maybe that explains the tenative running and going down on the first hit.

My Mood
    Mad
    Well Willie Parker is one of the few bright spots about this season so far. I think he is on pace for 16 total TD's. Which would be a Steelers record for TD's in a season. So I'm willing to cut some slack to Fast Willie. Plus don' t you think he is fustrated? He has seen what this team can do it when it plays to the level that is expected of them. I also think Willie Parker is right. These players do not believe in their teammates and are not as hungry as they were last year.

I also would like to add I would hope that Davenport would have a positive attitude since he is new to this team and that he got another chance with an NFL team after getting cut by the Packers. Davenport is just happy to be with a team. Where Willie knows what this team can do and its killing him that the Steelers are 2-6.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Najeh is happy to be here and from where he came from, the attitude of the team is alot better.

I know Willie is upset, he is doing alot of good things this year but he's left plays on the field just like everyone else. I don't want any player to have that attitude but when you catch players right after a game like that you're liable to get things taken out of contest or things said in haste at the spur of the moment. We'll see how him and Hines, and the rest of the group pull together this week and show their pride.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    when you catch players right after a game like that you're liable to get things taken out of contest or things said in haste at the spur of the moment.
    Could have been worse.. Might have been a Ryan Leaf explosion or even better.. a Soldja rant ala K2.

Thread Information