Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holmes Admits To Dealing Drugs When Young

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Holmes Admits To Dealing Drugs When Young

TAMPA, Fla. -- Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes' childhood was much like that of any other youngster in rural south Florida. He played backyard football. Chased squirrels. Ran around with his friends.

This was different: Despite being a promising athlete, Holmes also spent a year selling drugs on a street corner in his small hometown.

He chose to make his surprising admission at the Super Bowl, knowing millions of impressionable youngsters will be closely following the game and its players. By revealing his secret, Holmes hopes he may persuade other at-risk youth to choose a path that leads to the athletic field and a classroom, not to a detention center or a jail cell.

"I've only told three or four people about it," Holmes said Wednesday. "I feel it's time to share things. I'm on the biggest stage, everybody's going to be watching. I'm pretty sure some kids can get a feel for changing their lives and not doing those type of things, and can get an opportunity to get out of the ghetto, the 'hood, to be successful."

Holmes, who initially made the admission in an interview with the Miami Herald, became exposed to the lifestyle while growing up in Belle Glade, Fla. Some family members and friends made money selling drugs, he said, and he found it an easy way to make money, too, though he didn't specify exactly what he sold.

Holmes avoided detection by his mother by going to school, then leaving and going to the street corner. He and his family didn't need the money for food or essentials, and he used it mostly on gifts for himself, like shoes.

"My friends were always doing it and I felt comfortable doing it at the time," Holmes said. "As the years grew older, I just felt like that wasn't what I wanted to do. I wanted to play football. I don't want to end up like a lot of my friends, in jail, standing on the corner, not going to school."

Several pivotal events turned Holmes away from selling and pushed him to football, where he starred as Glades Central High won Florida state titles during his sophomore and junior seasons and went 12-1 during his senior season.

Holmes and his mother became worried as they repeatedly returned home to find bullet holes or broken locks in their apartment. Another time, Holmes' mother found cocaine in the youngster's dump truck. That seemed to be what prompted her to relocate to another area.

The move, Holmes said, was pivotal in turning his life around.

"It made me who I am today. If I had continued down that path, I wouldn't be here," he said.

"At times, going back home during the offseason or my free time, that's the main time I think about it. But I saw how much of a struggle I had to go through, my mother had to go through and I don't want to wish that on anybody," Holmes said.

After high school ball, he starred at Ohio State for three seasons before being the Steelers' first-round draft pick in 2006. Holmes has been one of their key offensive players this season, making 55 catches for 821 yards and five touchdowns. He has two touchdowns in two postseason games.

On Super Bowl media day, Holmes told a different story about his childhood.

"Belle Glade, it's probably one of the smallest towns here in Florida, and we didn't have much to do there. There's a high school, a couple of elementary schools and a middle school," he said. "We chase rabbits for a living. We did it for fun, but for the majority of the people we know, we did it for survival. I can remember it clearly that up until my sophomore year of high school, that's what I did. Every Saturday and every Sunday after church, that's what we would do: We would go rabbit hunting."

Earlier this season, Holmes was benched for an important game against the Giants for being involved in a drug-related case. He was charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana after police found marijuana-filled cigars in his car after a traffic stop.

Holmes said that incident doesn't signal a return to his past.

"It happens, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, not being responsible, being around people that aren't responsible enough to respect what I do," Holmes said. "I knew what my path was like before, and I didn't want to go down that path again."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...e=NFLHeadlines

who the hell chases squirrels?? lol
    Last edited by Koopa; 01-29-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Steel City Mafia # 632
    They had a whole special on ESPN one night about Holmes and some other athletes from that town that grew up chasing rabbits..it was actually pretty good.I know Holmes wanted to use this stage to send a message to kids..but i still question the timing of his coming clean routine..his arrest with marijuana is still fresh in everyones mind and i think he really should have waited till the offseason for this.Holmes is gonna be needed greatly by this organization espicially when 86 hangs it up.Hopefully he can stay on the right side of the fence and continue to be a great playmaker for this team.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It takes a big guy to go on national TV and admit the problems he had has a kid so props to him for getting his life back on track for the most part.

Chasing rabbit's though, WTF is that

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Good for him. I'm glad he is using to try and help other kids out there.

Probably rabbit hunting. The dogs do most of the chasing.

Chopper Challenge Champion SteelerNC's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bungals
    I'm shocked

some times some things better left un-said, dont want to send a message to some kid sling drugs while young and grow up and play in the NFL

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Sure its a big thing to come clean about it, but so to did the Bus in his book. Remember? I'm sure a lot of these players did things that would be frowned upon but they did what they felt they needed to at that time in their lives. Props for getting out of it and turning their lives into so much more. I wish I could say the same. I dont know how much longer I can keep pimping myself out like this. My looks are not what they were 10 years ago....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Sure its a big thing to come clean about it, but so to did the Bus in his book. Remember? I'm sure a lot of these players did things that would be frowned upon but they did what they felt they needed to at that time in their lives. Props for getting out of it and turning their lives into so much more. I wish I could say the same. I dont know how much longer I can keep pimping myself out like this. My looks are not what they were 10 years ago....lol
    least you had looks for awhile Ive always been a ugly SOB

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    least you had looks for awhile Ive always been a ugly SOB
    You cant be all that bad, you are a Steeler fan and I have a big demand for Steeler fans in my stable.....lol Steeler fans are all beautiful in the eyes of me.

My Mood
    Angry
    I wonder if the rabbit and squirrel chasing was done after smoking-up??

Thread Information